Garple

(IGN.com)

"[The Tomb Raider reboot] should keep you happy if you enjoy watching bad things happening to pretty ladies." --IGN.com
That goes from being funny and weird to flat out creepy. Yeesh. :erm:

"[The Tomb Raider reboot] should keep you happy if you enjoy watching bad things happening to pretty ladies." --IGN.com

Finally a game for me!

I don't think I've ever seen this before, but at least now I know what it means.

I can give them a quote if they're hurting for one. I'll even highlight the part to remove.

"Their dumb acronym doesn't stand for anything."

For those unawares, "lorem ipsum" is the first words, and the title of, filler text layout people use before they have the actual text.

For all private shit I do, I generally tend to write out small bits of content or use random news articles, but I got into trouble for that at work, since clients as a species are confused by everything and do not understand what temporary content is—or what content is in general. I still get asked why some sections of their site aren't in American, like good God intended them to be.

Sometimes, if I am feeling particularly wily, I use google to translate actual things into latin and pepper real lorem ipsum nonsense with secret messages.

Well done IGN.

Is that really Samus Aran? It looks more like what's-her-face from Parasite Eve.

Is there any way that Metroid: Other M isn't painful to play?

I wish Ninja Theory hadn't gotten their hands anywhere near Metroid. From what I've heard, they pretty much destroyed the character of Samus. :tdown:

Also, that quote. *Shivers*

I wish Ninja Theory hadn't gotten their hands anywhere near Metroid. From what I've heard, they pretty much destroyed the character of Samus. :tdown:

Also, that quote. *Shivers*

For the sake of accurateness, and because I'm a bit of a Ninja Theory fanboy, it was not Ninja Theory that was involved in Other M, it was Team Ninja.

Ninja Theory are the awesome Enslaved/Heavenly Sword dudes, while Team Ninja are Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive.

I played about half of Other M, and actually intend to finish it still. I thought it was quite good, gameplay wise. The story should be ignored, and the voice acting is bad at best. The actual roaming around a space station and fighting things, however, still felt like Metroid to me. That said, that quote is hilariously awful. They have to be doing this on purpose at this point, right? This is hipster irony? Please?

Also, for the sake of accuracy, let's also remember that Samus is kind of a blank slate, undeveloped character to begin with. There wasn't much for Ninja theory to destroy.

Also, for the sake of accuracy, let's also remember that Samus is kind of a blank slate, undeveloped character to begin with. There wasn't much for Ninja theory to destroy.

Except for her unique status of being "off-limits to sexploitation and gender stereotyping". Which was kind of safeguarded by her blanket slatedness.

Yes there is. Imagine Valve giving crowbar carrying scientist a voice in HL3.

A Christmas present changes when you open it.

Except for her unique status of being "off-limits to sexploitation and gender stereotyping". Which was kind of safeguarded by her blanket slatedness.

What about the part where at the end of games she stood there in a bikini as a reward?

What about the part where at the end of games she stood there in a bikini as a reward?

Shushhhhh!

:getmecoat

Or Zero Suit anything? One of the things that I love about Samus is how un-sexualized she is, but really Team Ninja (in my experience of about half the game) has shown more restraint than Nintendo has in recent years. When you see her face in flashbacks, she's in military casual clothes. The only zero suit stuff is that when she dies, for whatever reason, her suit evaporates as she collapses. Unless you're dying a tonne, you almost never see it. In-game, sometimes it will cut away and show her face, but that is just her helmet coming off, suit stays on. A bunch of what Team Ninja has done over the years is repulsive and a big part of what's wrong with gaming culture, but it's unfair to throw that at their work with Other M. As for the whole "she won't act without authorization from her MALE friend" thing, he's her superior officer and they're in a military situation. I'd still rather they not tack on any of that, but she never seems subservient to him and certainly is never lacking in personal motivation to kick some ass. It's done far better than I ever expected it to be. That said, the story is still crap. I'm fairly sensitive to sexism issues in games, with a lot of what's out there being pretty disgusting to me, but Other M never stood out as anything particularly objectionable.

"There are a few beams of light that shine through the cave of round butts and big boobs." -- IGN.com

This is in an article that purports to criticize game developers for oversexualizing female characters. An article featuring many visual examples of what they're criticizing. IGN has turned a new leaf. Never again will they pander to the horny, straight, teenage male demographic! :shifty: