Garple

(IGN.com)

Oh, another case of tone being lost on the internet.

Still, I'm now actually informed, thanks!

(Also, the Norwegian guys I know from Xbox Live hate the Finnish accent :grin:)

I like the subtle violence here -- makes me think of sleep-deprived postmen getting pissed off with all those Play.com jiffy bags they have to lug around.

Very good. :yep:

Haha yeah. Jiffy bag stuck out of the letter box whilst your game is sat on the door mat after he's rammed it through the letterbox. The best ones are GAME's new packaging...ever so slightly bigger than an average letter box, poor guys :)

(Also, the Norwegian guys I know from Xbox Live hate the Finnish accent :grin:)

Me too, I was talking about native speaker accents ;) The Finnish (English) accents can be damn ugly, though cute too in some cases.

At least I don't sound like I spent a couple of months in the womb being suffocated by my own umbilical cord, like the entire nation of Norway. PLUS THEY'RE ALL GAY TOO.

"So hot, even closing valve won't stop steam from blasting through your mailbox" - ign.com

"This game will mispronounce your name but you won't say anything because it intimidates you." - IGN.com

Accents aren't a competitive sport.

One time when I was at university and my mother and sister had come to visit, there was a Scottish (possibly Glaswegian, but I'm no expert) man on a mobile phone pacing the street outside my house in the middle night repeatedly calling someong a FUCKING IDIOT. It's one of the finest accents for sounding frightening, I think, although he then followed that up with some stuff about messing with people's emotions, so it sounds like he was actually just a big profane softy who'd had his heart broken. Poor angry guy.

My dad hates the Brummie accent. I can see how it could grate, but it really depends on the speaker.

I like a lot of accents in the UK.

Still, I win. Gold medal. Top of the leaderboard. Na-na-na-naa-na.

Sorry if I came across like a complete cunt :clap:

It has been strongly denied by many Brits, but has anyone noticed that an "r" is often added to the end of some words? This seems especially true if both that word and the word following it end and then start with a vowel or softer sound.

"Pizza" ends up somewhere between "peetzer" and "pizza," especially if its followed by "and" or something.

Am I crazy or are there people in the UK somewhere who are stealing "r"s from words which properly have them, and then sneaking them back into the ends of words which don't?

Oh definitely. I just said it aloud and was a little shocked to hear myself say "pizza rand". But I think you kind of need a buffer there because the two words begin and end with the same sound so it flows instead of involving some kind of weird stop.

I'm very much from the south of England. Do the north have this illusive R too?

Holy shit, you people don't know this about your own way of speaking? It makes me wonder what kind of stuff I don't know about my own.

It's pretty much all I've ever known. I never try and do accents or had any other reason to question it. It is a bit weird though. Maybe I just assumed I was normal... :fart:

It has been strongly denied by many Brits, but has anyone noticed that an "r" is often added to the end of some words? This seems especially true if both that word and the word following it end and then start with a vowel or softer sound.

So that's where the name Flickr comes from.

"Pizza" ends up somewhere between "peetzer" and "pizza," especially if its followed by "and" or something.

Am I crazy or are there people in the UK somewhere who are stealing "r"s from words which properly have them, and then sneaking them back into the ends of words which don't?

Aw, man, I can't remember the terms now after a couple of years ;D Umm, people with non-rhotic accents such as Received Pronunciation do pronounce the 'r' if the next word begins with a vowel: "hair and scissors" (random example)

Ok, that's fine. Otherwise you'd have to use glottal stops. However, some people add this 'r' (there's a term for it) everytime a word ends with a vowel and the next begins with a vowel, which makes "law and order", for example, sound like some person called "Lauryn Order". It's weird. And interesting.

I thought this was most obvious in Australian English? At least I've noticed it the most in Rod Johnson's talks.

Jake: that's an amusing observation. I guess it flows better in the same way you say "an apple" and not "a apple".

Random fact I'm randomly reminded of: the secret true name of Amsterdam is Amsteldam, since it was named after the dam on the river Amstel (which some may recognize from Amstel beer). But Amsteldam is awkward to pronounce so it mutated. Putting r's into places they do not belong can be very helpful.

Oops, sorry. We can go back to IGN box quotes now.

Putting r's into places they do not belong can be very helpful.

"It'll put your arse where it doesn't belong" - IGN.com

"This game will accidentally all your base!" - IGN.com

I have to give the credit to xkcd though

"Someone set us up the meme" -IGN.bomb

I sense this rather confused conversation now spiralling rapidly out of control...

"This game will drown your raped baby." - IGN.com

It doesn't mention slaves nor genocides, I am very offended by the lack of offence in this proposition...

"This game will drown your raped baby." - IGN.com

OMG that's terrible...

"Better than taking a leak on a long drinking night." -IGN.com