Sign in to follow this  
Thyroid

Flower

They have been since the Dual Shock 2.

Same goes for all the Xbox controllers.

What?! This blows my mind! I knew the original Xbox buttons were pressure sensitive because Dead or Alive used these explicitly to differentiate between hard and soft attacks.

I can't remember that even once, other than in that game, I've heard talk of pressure sensitive buttons. I always assumed this was an exclusive thing with the Xbox, and that they stopped using it and didn't have it in the 360 because it was hard to use. I certainly have never (that I know of) heard of the PS2/3 having this either.

Am I going crazy?

Never having owned either XBOX I obviously can't comment, but you must have a bad memory if you don't remember the pressure sensitivity in Metal Gear Solid 2. It was very prominent. I'm personally still dreaming of pressure sensitive keyboards and mice.

You're right, I don't remember that from MGS2. Which is weird, because I have an excellent memory, like that guy in that movie or whatever it was.

PS2 rhythm game Mad Maestro was entirely based on turning how hard you press the button into how loud you conduct an orchestra.

You're right, I don't remember that from MGS2. Which is weird, because I have an excellent memory, like that guy in that movie or whatever it was.

Both 2 and 3 used pressure sensitive buttons. It's most evident with the weapons. Press and hold square lightly and Snake will draw his weapon. From here, press it hard and he will shoot, ease off and he will holster it. When holding guards by the neck, I think it was circle that could be held down hard to snap the neck and tapped lightly to choke. They're still like this on PS3.

Flower is absolutely mindblowing.

And <3 is always heart to me.

I think all the buttons on the PS3 are pressure sensitive aren't they?

I don't think start, select, the PS button or the D-pad are.

Give us our analogue start button! I want part of a start menu! Or maybe it should put things in slow-motion.

Anyway, I'm quite enjoying going through one flower at a time. I think if I burnt through it faster like I would a normal game it might lose some of its charm.

And yeah, I use R2.

Oh, and I used to think <3 might be an arse, but now accept that it's a heart.

Holy shit Flower is awesome.

It's hard to summarize my feelings about Flower without sounding like I just came out of a midnight showing of Twilight with a group of 14-year old girls, but it did make me feel strange and kinda wet, just like if Robert Pattinson were stroking my neck hairs.

I will say that sure, this game may not be for everyone. Maybe they could have had a timer, or made collecting flowers a "combo chain" providing bonuses for streaks and maybe they could have made the city an epic boss that you had to attack with shooting seeds, but if you think so...fuck you, that's why I love Flower. Having one flowers' dream lead into the next while the subtle narrative slowly became darker as day progressed into night was very moving. And aside from just experiencing Flower, going for the Trophies provided more than enough "gameplay". Like the 'pure' Trophy, trying to fly that little petal through crashing girders without getting hit was exhilarating.

It's also the first game to prove the PS3's worth, if you can believe it. The motion controls make the game better, rather than worse, as do the HD visuals. This is a game that could not be done on any other platform, though I'm just glad it exists at all.

I guess all I can say in the end is that I love Flower, and it touched me in ways that I secretly dream of Robert Pattinson doing.

the 'Dual Analog controller' for PS1 was entirely analogue, or at least some of it was, hence the name - You had to press that little 'analog' button in the middle to activate it though. DS2 it became standard.

wow i hate that i know that.

Flower is win though :)

Which is weird, because I have an excellent memory, like that guy in that movie or whatever it was.

Heh.

the 'Dual Analog controller' for PS1 was entirely analogue

And it have concave analogue stick heads! Not that I had any (I never even had any pre-PS3 PlayStations), but I did read up about them once, when trying to remember what type of controller a friend of mine had very early on.

My best description of me playing Flower.

At first I was like this: :yep:

Then it felt like more of the same and I was like this: :blink:

Then I got to the later puzzles and I was like this: :clap:

Then I had a few beers the next day and played some more and it felt like this:

:wtf:

I just knocked up a review of this for my (shitty, unprofessional) website. If anyone could take a look and give some constructive criticism it'd be appreciated. I typically look over stuff a little more, but it's the first thing I've written for over a month and it deteriorated in quality towards the end.

Flower review

It's fine. However, the thread is for discussing the game, not your writing abilities (...or the DualShocks capabilities :shifty:). If you'd like feedback on your writing start another thread in Idle Banter. Thanks.

Back on topic: I'm still enjoying the game. As with Portal the length really isn't the problem that some would have you believe (even given the price) as it's such an inviting and replayable experience. Going back to play the early levels in particular is quite easy - the way the levels are presented, in terms of both visual and aural cues, is simply exhilarating and hugely satisfying.

God. I feel like such a philistine...but I just bought this game (it's on sale for $5), started playing and thought "this is GORGEOUS. I love the controls. Ok. Wait. What? Is this all you do? How do I know when I'm finished? Am I supposed to...oh man. I don't understand." And I stopped playing after 60 seconds. I will certainly return to it. And I'm shocked that I didn't immediately fall in love as I'm so into artsy-fartsy stuff. Oh well. It's sitting on the hard drive awaiting my return.

It actually gets surprisingly intense in the later levels. It's only mellow and chill when you're working out how to play. Towards the end of the game, you're going insanely fast through tunnels and buildings, dodging all sorts of bad business. Stick with it. For reals.

It actually gets surprisingly intense in the later levels. It's only mellow and chill when you're working out how to play. Towards the end of the game, you're going insanely fast through tunnels and buildings, dodging all sorts of bad business. Stick with it. For reals.

I played a little more, and it turns out it's awesome. I didn't get to the intensity yet but I did figure out what I was supposed to do.