Sign in to follow this  
Thyroid

Flower

Didn't find a thread for this anywhere, surprising.

I thought this PSN game looked boring at first, but then I saw this video and it kindled my interest.

I love that the developer is trying to do something new and interesting - what he calls "poetry". It might fail but I'm going to buy this just to support them. We need more games like this.

The atmospheric experience seems amazing. If I had a PS3, it'd be for this kind of experimental games.

I've been looking forward to this for a while, it sort of looks like Pac-Man crossed with Katamari plus wind.

Nobi Nobi Boy is also out next month actually.

I'm looking forward to nobi nobi boy. As I saw someone point out on Twitter though:

It's only five dollars :tup:

That might mean it's only worth five dollars :tdown:

I quite liked flOw, even if it was more of an experience than a game. I'm certainly looking forward to Flower and Nobi Nobi Boy. The meta-game stuff of the latter sounds pretty interesting.

As opposed to most games.

I wouldn't be too worried. If I remember properly Katamari was $20 on full price.

I'm looking forward to nobi nobi boy. As I saw someone point out on Twitter though:

It's only five dollars :tup:

Okay, this kind of attitude got blasted in the most recent podcast but seriously, where's the game?

If it costs exactly what it's worth, I don't see a problem, silly.

Yeah. I think it will be a fun toy, but was hoping it would be as mindfuckingly brilliant as Katamari Damacy.

I really hope Keita Takahashi doesn't become a Joseph Heller of games, but I don't think he would. He's already said he wants to not do games in future and try other things, he's meant to be designing a playground in my home town.

Eurogamer review is up.

He gives it an 8. Yeah, scores don't matter so read the review.

But I hate this:

"[A]lthough beautiful and engaging, Flower's brief, film-length experience would be better suited to something closer to flOw's original GBP 3.49, and that ultimately counts slightly against it."

Isn't a movie more expensive than Flower's 7 pounds? So why is he complaining?

Not necessarily, and a movie will almost certainly have way, way more content in the same amount of time. There's a reason they cost millions to make.

You guys are disturbing me with this discussion.

PS, here's the case of my aunt and uncle who are in their 40's.

They used to play NES in the 80's. Eventually they got a ps2 and I gave them Ico for Christmas. They thought it was amazing because it was fun and interesting, but not super hard or requiring amazing hand eye coordination.

The only game besides Ico that they have discovered and really enjoyed so far was PixelJunk Eden, and they enjoyed that for exactly the same reason. In other words, I'm happy flOwer is coming out.

Not necessarily, and a movie will almost certainly have way, way more content in the same amount of time. There's a reason they cost millions to make.

Well, movies have all this unnecessary spending too, but I understand what you're talking about.

That having been said, 7 pounds is cheap for a game, especially one that plays at three hours. I'd rather pay 7 for 3 hours than 50 for 10 - which I may or may not finish.

Well that was brief. It looks absolutely gorgeous but one minute you're playing, the next you're watching the credits roll. It could have done with some sort of sandbox mode where you can float around at will collecting from randomly spawning flowers - and I know it's sacrilege with games like this, but a high score mode would have added a lot to replayability.

I bought it, played it, and it was shit. The controls ruined it for me, either going too slow or too fast. Of course, I might have misunderstood something, but the way I understand it, you slow down completely when not pushing a button and go with maximum speed when you do. Did I get this basic thing wrong?

I bought it, played it, and it was shit. The controls ruined it for me, either going too slow or too fast. Of course, I might have misunderstood something, but the way I understand it, you slow down completely when not pushing a button and go with maximum speed when you do. Did I get this basic thing wrong?

Well, a number of inputs on the PS3 controller are analog, such as the sticks and the bottom triggers, so you can just press them partially and you won't go at maximum speed...

Well, I'll be damned. I feel pretty stupid for not figuring that out during the comprehensive tutorial, although I thought I had already tried the triggers... Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll have another go.

Okay, I have to ask about this: <3.

Is this supposed to be a heard or a fart cloud? I always get confused when people use them, and often it can mean either one based on the text it's used in.

At first I always thought it was a goofy cat with a party hat on, until it got pointed out it was a heart.

a number of inputs on the PS3 controller are analog

I think all the buttons on the PS3 are pressure sensitive aren't they?

I bought it, played it, and it was shit. The controls ruined it for me

So did you think it was shit because of the controls, or was that a separate observation? I actually played the end sections one-handed, leaving the other hand free to do as it pleased :innocent:, and only very rarely had to fight with the game. If you're familiar with Flow it's basically the same methods only now in a 3D environment.

I think all the buttons on the PS3 are pressure sensitive aren't they?

X certainly is, but I only noticed because of wipeout HD.