Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Your favorite game glitches!

I wish I had video of this.

In Half Life 2, there's a section where you and Alyx are having a conversation on a downward moving elevator. While Valve's character body language and eye contact are generally excellent, the point her eyes are scripted to look at only updated around once a second, so of course she'd make eye contact then her eyes would repeatedly roll up into her head then flick back down to point at the player camera. It looked like she was having a seizure.

I think they patched it out, because on a second playthrough just before episode 1 it didn't happen.

collection of glitches: http://www.gameplayer.com.au/gp_documents/090303Glitches.aspx

the sims 2 glitch is a bit disturbing

A few of those remind me of some other ones:

1) in one GTA Thumbs session, a death match at the airport I believe, when the game started all the Ripleys (the plane taxis) spawned in one location, on top of the other. It initially lagged the shit out of the game and then became this weird little diversion. No idea what caused it. I think there are screen shots and/or video out there somewhere.

2) DiRT glitched out on me once and I managed to drive over a thousand kilometers (getting all the distance achievements) in about one second. I think the disc loading failed at one instant and the game just went black but it was still registering that I was moving. Annoying that I had to reset, but nice that I got some achievements points for my troubles.

There are modes in this game that are UNPLAYABLE. They were infuriating at first, but now they're just plain funny, and the only reason I still have this turd.

Take, for instance this shot I took of the pass defense drill. 9 times out of 10, the QB would scramble and run down the field, past his receiver, and then throw the ball backwards. The point was for me to defend passes, so why is the QB running down the field? Anyway, the image you see is the result of actually blocking a backward pass to the receiver. And by backward, I mean the QB was in the end zone and the receiver was behind me.:mock:

Madden_08_01.jpg

Maybe this from world of goo

I couldn't figure out if it was some strange indie gameplay feature or just a bug. It was a bug.

But my favourite exploitable glitch has to be this from Divine Divinity . Or the way you could go through fences in GTA1. Or in fact, all the numerous exploits/fun bugs found in GTA1.

In the original Knights of the Old Republic, there was a widespread glitch where Carth would stare blankly into space in the middle of a cutscene after

your ship escapes being captured by the enemy

. What happened is that the game treats characters noticing each other as a dice roll of awareness against stealth... even in cutscenes. Carth has an unusually low awareness. Mission, the Twilek he is meant to address, has an unusually high stealth skill, made even higher by the fact that you're likely to end the previous gameplay section with her in stealth mode. The game doesn't crash. It doesn't freeze. It just keeps rolling virtual dice in the background until Carth succeeds an awareness check.

In Counter-Strike, there is a map called sa_treetops, built for sniper duels in an Endor-like treetop city. The map-maker was a bit lazy with collision masks, so you could shoot through the trees. However, a friend's laptop was so terrible at running CS that the trees were semitransparent at far enough distances. After finding that out, we never played with him on that map again.

In a similar vein, my laptop was so bad at running The Sims 2 that the pixellated nudity censorship kept randomly disappearing.

Take Turnip was a glitch in EverQuest in which people would famously ask an NPC quest giver for a turnip, and hand it in to another npc right next to it for experience....people levled up from 1-60 when it first came out. Can't find any outside info on it atm.

That reminds me of reading about the sewing kits bug during the development of Ultima Online. For a short time they were the most powerful weapon in the game...

More hilarity: "Hell, I remember when we had a bug with sewing kits where if you tried to use it on a non-sewable object, it deleted the target, not the kit. We logged into the beta and saw most of the dynamic objects in the world missing. And a solitary player comes running by, screaming, closely followed by another player. and then he must’ve caught him, and POP… The running player was gone… Deleted by the jackass with the sewing kit." Man, MMO bugs are the absolute best.

Don't know if I really have a favorite, but the most recent happened about an hour ago and made me chuckle a bit. After completing a playthrough of Sly Cooper (the first one. Never played it before. Really impressed) I had one piece of the book left to get. You can't actually get it until after you beat the game, so I went back to the level to do so. For whatever reason, I got there too fast for the game to realize that I was already waiting for it to tell me the combination. This resulted in 5 minutes of my sidekick yelling "PRESS O TO CRACK INTO THE SAFE!" while I sat there wondering if it would register that I'd already done that and there's no way to exit the safe cracking mode without the combination. I gave up and looked up the code online. Oh well.

Not amusing or a favourite, but for the latter quarter of HL2E2 the game kept reminding me how to sprint. It made me really paranoid that something was about to start chasing me.

Yeah, that does seem slightly twisted...

"Quick, behind you, James! FUCKIN' RUUUU--only kidding."

Strafe jumping in Quake series, rocket jumps were not intentional I believe and I liked splash damage through floors in the early Quake 3 versions.

Now you mention it, I remember the grenade explosions going through the floor in the very early original Quake multiplayer beta... ;(