Jake

Idle Thumbs 15: I'll Kill the Last Alien

"I'll Kill the Last Alien"

We're back, sans guest for the first time in a while, with a fairly PC-centric episode (completely by chance). Enjoy!

Kaz Hirai says you'll truly appreciate the complexity of this podcast in about nine and a half years. Nick Breckon says you're a baby who likes baby games. And a cheat, too, I bet.

Games discussed: Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II (Beta), StarCraft II, Mirror's Edge, Bit.Trip Beat, Crysis: Warhead, Assassin's Creed

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

it would be difficult for me to agree with your assesment of mirrors edge more. I just stopped playing the game because i couldn't deal with the shitty gun parts.

The time trial aspect of it is so much better than the story mode

So, er, Chris. What were you going to say about Portal? Something about the two-act structure and implied rather than explicit storyline maybe?

I actually do really want to know.

It's good to hear another Mirror's Edge perspective. I'm still torn as to whether or not to get the game. I liked the 360 Demo, but it didn't really have much gunplay in it, which is why it was enjoyable.

I may still pick it up just for the Time Trials mode with the new DLC maps. Those are looking pretty sweet.

It's good to hear another Mirror's Edge perspective. I'm still torn as to whether or not to get the game. I liked the 360 Demo, but it didn't really have much gunplay in it, which is why it was enjoyable.

I may still pick it up just for the Time Trials mode with the new DLC maps. Those are looking pretty sweet.

Yeah, there's plenty of debate about this (still) in the Mirror's Edge thread. I like what RPS said too, equating the core of the game to a racing game. If you enjoy that aspect of it (and the in-game movement really is fantastic) where you're always trying to better your time and performance, trying to get on the leaderboards, you'll likely get a lot out of it. Just wish they fleshed out the whole leaderboard aspect of it a tad more (like, say, Geometry Wars 2.)

Unfortunately, to unlock a lot of the time trials you have to complete the single player story campaign :(

Yeah I played the demo a bunch of times because I found it to be really fun and while portions of the game are like that there are also a lot of areas as Chris described that are insane and pretty much require you kill a dude before moving on. I don't think anyone in the demo had more than a pistol so running past them was trivial. In the full game there are sections where dudes have shotguns or machine guns, many of which will kick your ass even from a distance while you are running full speed.

I also found the disarm mechanic (when a dude's gun turns red) to be sketchy most of the time and I ended up just doing tons of flying and sliding kicks followed by a barrage of punches and hoping the guy would die. Either that or I have slow reflexes :(

At any rate I found the demo fun but the full game to be downright infuriating at many points and I just have no desire to pick it up again. I have it on 360 too so I don't even get the benefits of the DLC.

hahaha, whats with the Tapezilla?

btw im new, HI GUYS!

Some podcast decided to thoughtfully comment on a bunch of other gaming podcasts, and we were so honored to be included in that illustrious group that we just had to share it with our listenership.

And welcome!

Tapezilla: a gigantic gastric parasite, intent on levelling Tokyo.

Great 'cast again, guys, right in my face as usual. :tup:

Can we have a tune soon though, Mr Remo? It's been a little while and they do make me laugh so. :violin:

From the clip you included, and from their own comment threads and NeoGAF posts, Tapezilla certainly sound like dicks. Anyone actually listened to their podcast though?

I plan on checking it out tonight. You know, once no-one else is within earshot.

Anyone actually listened to their podcast though

I didn't like the design of their site, so I decided their podcast wasn't worth listening to.

I just listened to most of their most recent podcast.

I skipped a lot though, because, well because it's boring. They don't have an awful lot to say, and they take 60 minutes to say it.

The main guy actually sounds OK. But his henchman, the 'number 2', comes across as a typical little jerk. He's the one who thinks himself to be hilarious with the nasal laugh that Chris sampled, and he seems to like ripping into geeks and gamers to make himself sound more manly - interesting for a game podcast.

So yeah. I'll give one or two previous episodes a go, as maybe they just had an off-week. But I doubt it.

Can we have a tune soon though, Mr Remo? It's been a little while and they do make me laugh so. :violin:

Yeah Remo where's the goddamn song huh

Great 'cast again, guys, right in my face as usual. :tup:

This one actually missed my face. Probably because I was doing some reading or web browsing or something during listening to it, so I wasn't playing full attention. Usually I play Spider Solitaire while listening to the cast, and those times it really hits my face.

Usually I play Spider Solitaire while listening to the cast

Hey, me too. Weird.

So I went and listened to a bit of that Tapezilla thing and basically it's solid meh. The idea of a satirical podcast with absurd caricatures of gamers is quite a good one, but they dragged it out for too long and just ran the joke into the ground.

I thought the line about 1up's demise being the worst thing to happen since 9/11 was pretty funny though.

I recently play crayon physics while listening (music turned off, of course).

I've said this before, but it bears repeating: I lie naked in bed while listening.

I'm almost always driving when I listen to talky podcasts. Either that or playing them via my phone (like a portable radio) while having a shave... :shifty: