Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

I'd like to try it too, but the epic music™ and the guy yelling 10 times how real it is are a gigantic turn off. What an obnoxious commercial thing.

I have mixed feelings too.

I'd like to try it too, but the epic music™ and the guy yelling 10 times how real it is are a gigantic turn off. What an obnoxious commercial thing.

Yeah, to be honest the tone of the Gadget Show has never really impressed me all that much, and their promotional stuff tends to outright irritate me.

The gadget show: sometimes cool(ish) stuff; presented by a set of wankers. Especially that dick with the flat cap. Edgy? They think they are.

Although - I would like a go in that BF3 thing.

Welp, everything I have ever done is meaningless in the face of such genius.

I hope to god they cheated through some clever plugin programming or something. If this is done the dumb, manual way—it is infuriating idiocy!

I hope to god they cheated through some clever plugin programming or something. If this is done the dumb, manual way—it is infuriating idiocy!

You probably aren't entirely serious, but I think the whole point of something like this is doing it the hard way. With digital trickery you can cheat at basically anything. Part of the art is the amazement at how this is done by hand, in the most excruciating way possible :tup:

If they were making some sort of unique piece of stop motion, sure—as it is, they were making a fucking video game into! There is no content to it! It is just excruciating for the fuck of it. It is engineered to appeal to the geek "culture", get the thumbs up on youtube, but has no content.

:buyme::tdown::(

Yeah, I think I'm with Kingz on this one. If they really did it the hard way, they've just wasted weeks of their lives...

You know, it's possible that they have jobs and just made the video after getting home from work each day or something like that. It's weird to assume they wasted every waking second of time they had when the video was in production, granting that making the video was a waste of time at all.

Regardless. Moot. You're reading what Erkki said too literally.

I think you're just mad that these fellows have achieved more than you ever will in Minecraft. *Folds arms* :yep:

W1ZtBCpo0eU

So sad the beginning, but true. And the ending is purrrrrrfect.

W1ZtBCpo0eU

So sad the beginning, but true. And the ending is purrrrrrfect.

Only now do I realize that modern PC games are horrible. :fart:

The video isn't particularly efficient in making a "statement" in my opinion, mostly because it unintentionally reminds me how much many aspects of gaming have improved in relatively short period of time.

To make a clear statement (although I love this video) he would have to have included something about a forced patch, and a second one then.

Then launch a single player game and have lags and be disconnected in front of the boss etc.

Afterwards, he'd try to launch a multiplayer game and has to go through the process of subscribing to an online service, entering a code and so on.

Chiming in well after the fact:

If they were making some sort of unique piece of stop motion, sure—as it is, they were making a fucking video game into! There is no content to it! It is just excruciating for the fuck of it. It is engineered to appeal to the geek "culture", get the thumbs up on youtube, but has no content.

:buyme::tdown::(

I pretty much agree, although I'm not angry about it. I mean, people can spend their time on what they like as far as I'm concerned – I'm not in much of a position to judge – but laborious tasks aren't automatically admirable. To me this is just as baffling as painstakingly tracing all the pages of a book by hand: it takes a lot of time and meticulous attention to detail, but it's not really a demonstration of any skill,* creativity or insight. It's more obsessive than it is anything else. (As an aside, I wonder whether gaming fosters such behaviour – I'm pretty sure it has in me, although mainly within the context of games themselves.) Dedication to a task, while it might be personally valuable or satisfying, is not necessarily interesting or impressive to outsiders.

Even as a curiosity it's fairly weak, as the block-based nature of Minecraft allows the images to be matched almost exactly. If it had, for example, been reconstructed with real-world objects, the medium may at least have imparted some qualities on the reproduction, differentiating it from the original (which isn't to say that that would have appealed to me, but I think I'd find it less bemusing).

I don't know, if people appreciate it that's fine, I guess, but it does feel a bit like yet another example of culture disappearing down a pit of post-modern reference and self-reference. Still, as long as someone got something out of it, great.

* I will concede that for all I know there was some skill in getting this done in five weeks rather than, say, five months, and perhaps in the planning and the specific methods of execution. I'm not especially well-versed on the ins and outs of Minecraft, so I couldn't really say. But in and of itself, reproducing a pixelated image in a grid-based system is a trivial problem.

I am angry at it because geeks everywhere will go OOH and AAAH and I will have to gnash my teeth and feel like the only lonely person who sees that this is actually shit. You don't have to bring Postmodernism into the equation to try to explain anything. Introducing a justification that will indubitably (and at best) rest on sophistry, semantics and hot air just distracts from the fact that there is no cultural value to this shit. Arg.

:pan:

:(