Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

I'd like to see a visual representation of the activity in your brain as it melts.

The closest match would probably be a combination of that during

and that during Arthur Brown's Fire performance.

(Already posted here, I know.)

Not comical, but awesome (but you probably already saw it)

dREKkAk628I

Just rediscovered "The Independint Charles Show," a series of off-kilter XBLIG reviews done by Rab Florence of Consolvania/VideoGaiden/RPS.

LVZX1lrs21Q

VJNBfBr-OGU

That just happened.

There's already something eerily disturbing about the synchronised marches that you see in Korea, and how amazingly perfect they are.

Putting that to a beat? Oh wow...

That's a quite alarming message. Threatening to turn this into a topic of actual meaning, how does one 'protect their savings'? Take it to the most reliable bank around? Put it in a sock, invest it in gold/treasure bonds? Not that I think everything's going to hell -- I'm pretty sure the Netherlands will be fine. But there are some questions here.

This clip is also another reason why the stock market is a horrible institution, albeit perhaps a necessary one to fund huge projects? It's hard to perceive these things if you're not on the inside or an expert.

I linked this with many on twitter yesterday, and a whole thing about whether or not he's a hoaxer erupted. He apparently is an independent trader, and also a self confessed attention seeker. He may be right, but he may also have a vested interest in creating a sense of economic doom.

I find it interesting that people find his authenticity so debatable. I looked through his site and he evidently knows something about trading, even if it comes over like some kind of "how to get rich" blog. If someone who was actually from a big investment bank spoke like he did in that interview, they'd probably have someone on the phone firing them just as the interview ended. As someone put it to me: People in power don't speak that frankly.

He sounds exactly like my finance friends. If he's an independent trader, as you say he is, I don't have any reason to doubt his veracity. He attitude and candor is exactly what I've heard many times before. It's precisely how banks work: They care about making a profit, not about society. This isn't controversial in the slightest. (I think the BBC staff were more shocked at his honesty than what he was saying.)

As one of my banking friends explained the capitalists point of view to me: It's a company's job to make a profit BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY. It's the government's job to stop companies doing anything too evil/exploitative. (This is why we have weekends, limits on the hours we work, minimum wage, statutory holidays, etc... A company doesn't care about such things if it doesn't have to -- If a company could make you work 100 hours a week for a penny an hour, they would. Or at least, some of them would. And the companies that didn't would rely on them treating their staff fairly as a way to selling their more expensive products... Just like Fair Trade chocolate tries to do.)

This is one of the many reasons why the people who are calling for smaller governments and less regulation (like that rap/boxing YouTube video) are wrong, IMHO.

His personal opinion on the future is another thing... nobody knows for sure. He could be very wrong, he could be right. Only time will tell.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Totally :tup:

That kind of speech isn't a truth or bullshit issue for organisations like major investment banks, but would be a definite PR issue.

I find the whole "But he's not from a major investment bank or hedge fund, how can we trust what he says?" mind boggling.

This has probably been posted already, but on the off chance that it hasn't...

3Oe7Q8OCm5I

The first line is "BEEEEHHOOLLLLDDDD, THEEEE WIIIZZAAARRRDDDD!!!". How much more Idle Thumbsy can you get?

(The video is probably a million years old and I'm just watching it now.)

(Not sure how to link YouTube vids with a timestamp, so. . .)

Going back through the Giant Bombcast archives is. . .an experience. A scarring experience, really.

Going back through the Giant Bombcast archives is. . .an experience. A scarring experience, really.

You can listen to and purchase that song on Bandcamp here or on iTunes here. So worth it.

egcfC7PCneQ

"Terminator dude, terminator."

Great to see such a range of opinions, some of them quite sophisticated (also a reminder that kids can sometimes be weirdly conservative).

Favourite line: "Like Hannah Montana. She was great, but then she started acting like a hooker".