Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

Jeff Goldblum wants to congratulate you for beating The Lost World: Jurassic Park.

a4_jMfBq3dc

This is really really weird? What is this game?

I don't really like Patrick as much as the other Giant Bomb guys, he's not as charming. He does some nice stories that doesn't feel very much Giant Bomb though...

If you suffer from motion sickness, this will probably make you sick. I don't get it, and felt a bit queasy, but it was totally worth it for the eureka moment when the rotors started spinning and I realised what was about to happen to the image:

EnrwrwMfNSs

RPM of the rotors is set to sync with the frame rate of the camera, meaning a stable image with pleasingly weird phasing effects.

If you suffer from motion sickness, this will probably make you sick. I don't get it, and felt a bit queasy, but it was totally worth it for the eureka moment when the rotors started spinning and I realised what was about to happen to the image

Such a great idea.

And then all of a sudden, BAM!

"Reality hits you hard bro." Best quote.

These things are not new, but i'll be damned if they're not still freaking amazing.

Those kids agree.

gusJeslMbLc

Edited by Thompson

I hope these guys haven't been linked before, in a way. They are oddly wonderful. I scoffed at them when I was linked to them originally, but they're actually amazingly good.

uQ4zT7h8AiU

I hope these guys haven't been linked before, in a way. They are oddly wonderful. I scoffed at them when I was linked to them originally, but they're actually amazingly good.

Really funny stuff! Such simple things done so well. :grin:

Here's a thought: I wonder if these funky games can help people visualize time/space/etc in ways in which we really weren't capable of intuitively getting a hold of, and thus help a new generations of mathematicians and the like solve some mathematical/physical problems or notice new stuff heretofore unknown.

Well, concerning the spoilers, I'm sure the game is like 300 hours long again, and this is just the 45 hour intro.

So, uh, yea. Final Fantasy is dead to me.

Courtesy of a bunch of assholes from the internet, a wonderful thing:

0l3wOT9cSg4

The only assholes I see here are the ungrateful guards...

He's not only giving you a free drink, he's giving you the whole damn dispenser, dammit! I guess some people just can't handle drinks well. *shrugs*

Not comical, but HOLY FUCK:

nsjDnYxJ0bo

Apparently real, though I'm very sceptical of the shot at 0:07. Why does it have such a clear background showing a tiled roof?

Did I miss the news about this new technology or something? I thought we could only measure brain activity in a way that just shows which areas are being active?

Shouldn't it look like this?:erm:

FMRI.jpg

Some insight into the workings of their visualization algorithm:

KMA23JJ1M1o

This video is organized as follows: the movie that each subject viewed while in the magnet is shown at upper left. Reconstructions for three subjects are shown in the three rows at bottom. All these reconstructions were obtained using only each subject's brain activity and a library of 18 million seconds of random YouTube video that did not include the movies used as stimuli. (In brief, the algorithm processes each of the 18 million clips through the brain model, and identifies the clips that would have produced brain activity as similar to the measured activity as possible. The clips used to fit the model, the clips used to test the model and the clips used to reconstruct the stimulus were entirely separate.) The reconstruction at far left is the Average High Posterior (AHP). The reconstruction in the second column is the Maximum a Posteriori (MAP). The other columns represent less likely reconstructions. The AHP is obtained by simply averaging over the 100 most likely movies in the reconstruction library. These reconstructions show that the process is very consistent, though the quality of the reconstructions does depend somewhat on the quality of brain activity data recorded from each subject.

So apparently the visuals aren't directly read from the brain pixel-by-pixel. They're reconstructed by averaging together one-second YouTube clips that their model believes would have generated similar brain activity upon viewing.

Now that is interesting! :tup:

So apparently the visuals aren't directly read from the brain pixel-by-pixel.

My brain would probably have melted if that had been the case (or if that was even technically possible).

My brain would probably have melted if that had been the case (or if that was even technically possible).

I'd like to see a visual representation of the activity in your brain as it melts.