Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

It only shows two colors, and she only ever uses them in pairs, so I guess you could infer that. I don't think it would be something you could express in a succinct manner in a short film without any dialog.

Really? I think it would be very easy to express, and in this case, it's kind of necessary if you want non-Portal fans to appreciate it. It's still great, though.

Comedy = 0

Geekery = 11

The new Star Wars bluray is going to have a CGI version of Yoda instead of the puppet one, previously seen in that (terrible) movie: The Phantom Menace.

I just find it kind of interesting how they've tried to do it:

kqrRpY7I2qg

xHa3D-musUw

As crappy as the Yoda puppet looked in TPM, I think I prefer it to the CG version.

Was this posted here? I seem to remember it being, but I can't find it.

d0nERTFo-Sk

Yea I love those boom and bust videos. Really entertaining, as well as informative.

I stumbled across this classic gem today while reading news about the mortal kombat klassic kollection. An old collegehumor video exposing some of the absurdities of the way the mortal kombat tournament is organized

Was this posted here? I seem to remember it being, but I can't find it.

d0nERTFo-Sk

Why is "millennium" spelt wrong on that sign? :-/

Edit: I can't say I agree with the arguments of those videos... They're very biased towards industry deregulation and "pure" capitalism. Not my cup of tea, despite how well made they are.

XdepDjPDkVw

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Those videos aren't biased towards de regulation at all, if anything they show both viewpoints and actually make keynes seem like the big hero.

WnzlbyTZsQY

Man, robots are so bitchy!

EDIT: Now that I think about it, the fact that it learns from what people say to it may be an indictment of humanity's bitchiness.

Those videos aren't biased towards de regulation at all, if anything they show both viewpoints and actually make keynes seem like the big hero.

It seemed pretty clear to me that they think he's unjustly admired. He's treated as the hero by the other characters, yes, but that's half the joke of the thing. It's no coincidence that they always give Hayek the last word.

EDIT:

8edwWVSHsrY

Download.

OK, that's pretty excellent. It's conceptually vaguely reminiscent of Trash Panic, in that it's a physics-based falling blocks game, but in practice it's quite different. Also, perhaps I was being thick, but I didn't gather from the video how difficult the controls are. I thought the player was just spinning the blocks continuously for effect, not because they have rotational inertia.

Edited by JamesM

? Did we watch the same videos? They were totally biased. I'll watch them again, just to re check my assessment, but from the "under dog" right though to always getting the last word, they seemed very biased to me...

? Did we watch the same videos? They were totally biased. I'll watch them again, just to re check my assessment, but from the "under dog" right though to always getting the last word, they seemed very biased to me...

Agreed. They reek of some Ron Paul bullshit.

It seemed pretty clear to me that they think he's unjustly admired. He's treated as the hero by the other characters, yes, but that's half the joke of the thing. It's no coincidence that they always give Hayek the last word.

I agree with this, I think they were saying that Hayek had the better opinion but that Keynes got all the attention.

Why is Hayak getting the last word, in a video where Keynes got way more airtime, biased?

Person A: Hey! This is this because of this! I say this, and this proves that this is this! And what's more this is this!

Person B: No, that's totally wrong because of this.

Person A: Well, what do you know? You think this because of this! So who can trust you? And what's more, what about all that? How would you deal with it? All your ideas would make BAD things happen for the average man!

Person B: I don't think that at all. In fact, what I'd do would be good for everybody because of this and this.

Person A got more "airtime", but Person B is presented as correct. See?

It's kind of weird that people can't see that these videos are deliberately trying to manipulate them into thinking deregulated capitalism is a good idea.

Why is Hayak getting the last word, in a video where Keynes got way more airtime, biased?

Because he gets to respond to and refute every point. I mean, aren't you familiar with the idiom "having the last word"; that's what the phrase means. It means you have the argument no-one can respond to. You define the terms on which the discussion is ended. Of course, it has to end with somebody, but it's Hayek in both videos, and in the first he has the whole latter half, and the whole thing is written as Keynes building up an argument and Hayek knocking it down, rather than a more level back-and-forth.

I hope I don't seem like I'm having a go at you or anything; I just find it surprising that you see it so differently than I do.

Person A: Hey! This is this because of this! I say this, and this proves that this is this! And what's more this is this!

Person B: No, that's totally wrong because of this.

Person A: Well, what do you know? You think this because of this! So who can trust you? And what's more, what about all that? How would you deal with it? All your ideas would make BAD things happen for the average man!

Person B: I don't think that at all. In fact, what I'd do would be good for everybody because of this and this.

Person A got more "airtime", but Person B is presented as correct. See?

It's kind of weird that people can't see that these videos are deliberately trying to manipulate them into thinking deregulated capitalism is a good idea.

Looks more to me like your own ideas and perceptions about what a successful economic system should be is clouding your judgement. You're not used to seeing a conservative viewpoint that is well reasoned and logical, and that confuses you. You're used to the Fox news, Rush Limbaugh style of conservative argument that's nothing but hot air.

Looks more to me like your own ideas and perceptions about what a successful economic system should be is clouding your judgement. You're not used to seeing a conservative viewpoint that is well reasoned and logical, and that confuses you. You're used to the Fox news, Rush Limbaugh style of conservative argument that's nothing but hot air.

Sounds to me like you've been wowed by some flashy editing and rap music. :shifty:

Actually I don't believe that. I think you're probably just someone who agrees with right wing politics.

This isn't a discussion about left versus right, I've heard all these "well reasoned and logical" viewpoints before. I live with a right wing housemate who went to Eton and Cambridge. Believe it or not, he's got the ability to be well reasoned and logical about his politics... In the four years we've lived together, three of them were spent working together. I've heard all these arguments before... I just disagree with them.

But this discussion isn't about politics, it's about whether something is biased or not.

You'll note that I don't think that the fact they're biased means these videos are bad. I'm not criticizing them for that, I'm just pointing it out. Hell, I love The Onion, and that's very left leaning, and it's also highly enjoyable. How this got to the level of personal politics, I don't know. The bottom line is: The people who made these videos are pushing right-wing politics/economics (in other words, Hayek's philosophies).

Edit: No surprises, John Papola is very pro-Hayek, almost evangelical. http://econstories.tv/

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I just liked the music. :getmecoat

(Godsdamn politics, never posting videos again! :violin:)