Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

Idra doesn't smile, I mean ever.

Idra is such a tool.

This happened after:

ajFtc.gif

Consider me schooled. No idea if he actually has asperger's or not, but the things people have described seem like intense spergy traits.

Bad manners? Shome mishtake shurely.

Anyway, there used to be a chorus of 'gg' after a hard fought and won/lost game of CS. Don't get much of that now (gg, not CS) ;(

There still is on the server I play on. It's nice to have a nice server. The game is so different compared to paying on random servers.

I'm only really familiar with use of GG etc in Counterstrike (clearly things are more relaxed there). I didn't mention that before because I thought Starcraft fans would probably lynch me.

Bad manners? Shome mishtake shurely.

Anyway, there used to be a chorus of 'gg' after a hard fought and won/lost game of CS. Don't get much of that now (gg, not CS) ;(

The FPS gg, is still around. It's usually only used on servers people play regularly though. I used to be really into UT ending in about 2007 and I play CS with shackers weekly where gg is still alive and well (as well as saving some god damn hostages.

In SC and SC II there are a bunch of ways one can be bad mannered, or BM. These extend from the gg ideas to aspects of game play. Some particular Terran ones are lifting off your buildings an putting them in the corners of the map when you have lost the game. Or calling down a Mule during a battle you are winning, though it's often something the crowd will cheer for. Finally there is the infamous /dance command.

hq5xZhCUrAM

Consider me schooled. No idea if he actually has asperger's or not, but the things people have described seem like intense spergy traits.

I can't tell if you know, Idra is the white guy in the booth

If you're interested in Korean E-sports Razer made a decent documentary a few years back http://www.razerzone.com/past-campaigns/haxlife. None of the Koreans in MLG Columbus 2011 were featured, but Boxer is MMA's mentor who was one of the big guns of SC BW, where he earned something like $400,000 per annum.

Manner. In Starcraft lingo you drop the s, don't ask me why.

Reckon it's because it came about in Korea and Asian folks sometimes miss plurals based around more esoteric western grammar?

Some particular Terran ones are lifting off your buildings an putting them in the corners of the map when you have lost the game.

I can understand this completely. That's just being a sore-losered dick. Good to see that it's frowned upon!

Reckon it's because it came about in Korea and Asian folks sometimes miss plurals based around more esoteric western grammar?

Seems plausible.

Or calling down a Mule during a battle you are winning, though it's often something the crowd will cheer for. Finally there is the infamous /dance command.

Theoretically you could call down a MULE to repair a mech unit during a battle, players will tend to drop a MULE somewhere stupid if they want to show off with it.

I heard about a game where a player was winning and decided to /dance his units and it caused him to lose the game because the other player attacked while his units were dancing.

For all the people complaining about the amount of killing in the latest series of Doctor Who:

lzmnPs64K74

You don't GG until you've lost or the other player has GG'd to concede. (Although a lot of times in Starcraft 2 people quit the game before the other player has a chance to type it.)

If you GG the other player expecting them to concede that's bad manner because it implies that you knew better than they did that they'd lost.

If you don't GG when you leave a game that's bad manner because it implies that you didn't think the other player was any good.

It's basically an expected pleasantry, even if you thought the game was terrible you have to GG to show that you respect the other player. Idra has a bad reputation for being a rage quity, direspectful jerk, and for good reason.

You might also see GG WP, this is for when you think your opponent played especially well, it means Good Game Well Played.

The other thing you must do is GLHF at the start of the game, it's another expected pleasantry meaning Good Luck Have Fun. You'll also sometimes see GG GL or GG HF or HF GG or any other combination of anonyms, but whatever you use at the start, you still have to GG at the end of the game.

So many rules... ;( What happened to good ol' fashioned trash talk?

TEWIw-a0GJw

So many rules... ;( What happened to good ol' fashioned trash talk?

Most of the trash talk nowadays is:

A. In FPS games, where the over competetive dicks tend to roam or;

B. Done in passive agressive ways.

I can tell you that competetive CoD gamers trash talk a lot, but mostly within their own team, not at their opponents. When there is trash talking in public it tends to be very subdued and petty. The more money becomes involved, and the more high level sponsors have to be appeased the more the trash talking dissapears.

I think that on the whole, even at the lower levels, competetive gaming manners have improved from the Quake and UT days.

I remember having to sit through some Yank ranting during a GTA IV race about how amazing his country was after some Brit insulted it. He just wouldn't shut up. It was so annoying.

Someone complained me trash talking, too. Which is odd, because I don't do that -- although I may swear in frustration.

It's worse on consoles maybe.

In cs:s it can flare up occasionally, more so on random servers. On a server with regular players it's often down to a new player showing up and grating with people, or it's a minor spat between two people who will get over it (much like the occasional arguments here on thumbs).

In many games, like Left 4 Dead, it's been replaced by people just acting like jerks - quitting half way through, not co-operating, etc.

8gQozw40Mso

Maybe you have the kind of accent/voice that turns everything into trash-talk.

It's worse on consoles maybe.

In cs:s it can flare up occasionally, more so on random servers. On a server with regular players it's often down to a new player showing up and grating with people, or it's a minor spat between two people who will get over it (much like the occasional arguments here on thumbs).

In many games, like Left 4 Dead, it's been replaced by people just acting like jerks - quitting half way through, not co-operating, etc.

8gQozw40Mso

Nope, it just all went to DotA and HoN.

HoN. That's truly one of the most vicious communities I ever saw. Was enough to put me off playing. Noobs are treated very unkindly.

Amazing. Surely not genuine?

...has it been auto-tuned yet?

I think I hear someone else laughing a little bit during the last 10 seconds or so. My brain cannot accept that as real. Bloody funny though.