Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

I didn't get that far, but the line "I'm an American, we don't have czars" with a straight face. . .

I'm going to go cry now. Cry for liberty and apple pie. I stopped caring about baseball years ago.

I'm glad that Palin doesn't know her targets either, diminishing her potential danger.

That just means the people around her will start doing the driving. She's a suitable figurehead for people with heinous politics to charm and then act through, which I find doubly worrying.

Oh, no, she is way too vain to let that happen. She will fill the cabinet with her friends from high school and random sycophants. She cannot be controlled the way GWB was.

Maybe, but even with that environment, I think it would be quite porous to influence. Put that stupidiy out in public for longer, even more in view of the whole world than it is, with pressures of office upon it, and I'm not so sure her vanity wouldn't be worn down by a hunger for credibiity and a consequent need for help.

Possibly the best we could hope for is a shambolic administration with occasional rebellions and firings. I am also far, far more worried about her pushing the big red button than I was about GWB doing it :(

There's no way in hell she's going to be President. I think we can all breathe a sign of relief :)

Here's a song to calm our collective nerves...

0VPcPCwK_G0

God, I hate religious stuff.

If there was a god, it would either smite those people or make sure they could sing.

Hah, I saw that on Twitter :)

I really, really hope that Palin can never become president. American politics have become noticeably unhinged since I first became politically aware. Normally, I'm passively interested in the politics of other countries, but a super power with that kind of malady? :eek: Deeply concerned.

Whatevs. Kittens!

gppbrYIcR80

I really, really hope that Palin can never become president. American politics have become noticeably unhinged since I first became politically aware. Normally, I'm passively interested in the politics of other countries, but a super power with that kind of malady? :eek: Deeply concerned.

I think if you look back, it's surprising how this sort of thing has been going on for a while. Both Reagan and Bush Senior were pretty insane, too. And before that was Nixon. And in place of Obama was Jimmy Carter. Their country always seems to have this massive split down the middle... and I can't help but think it comes from not having enough history, and really poor quality news.

That's my 2c, anyway. I'm probably wrong.

Actually, I'd say Nixon was the last decent president this country had. And the last liberal president... who only happened to have been a bigot and a Republican and a little Machiavellian...

He raised social security, lowered defense spending, protected consumers from price gouging and created the EPA, Clean Air Act, OSHA, Consumer Product Safety Commission and the Supplemental Security Income, he recognized that there are many flavors of communism and started opening diplomatic relationships with China.... Oh, and wtf, it looks like Noam Chomsky thinks the same way I do! Woo, I am in good company.

Anyway, the only retarded thing he did was make some kinds of poor-people food cheaper in artificial ways, inadvertently creating the high-fructose-corn-syrup-fueled decline of health in the country at large. See this lecture Jayel linked in the lectures thread for more detail.

Clinton and Obama and Carter all did some things that quickly escalated the fortunes of the little people of this country. They are the liberals who don't care about liberal causes by and large, the if-you-can't-beat-them-join-them new tories in liberal clothing in Tony Blair's mold.

maybe you shouldn't let those big companies run your countries

maybe you shouldn't let those big companies run your countries

Well, maybe you should eat shit and die? :(:(:hmph::deranged: My blood pressure is elevated as it is, living in this country of credulous, willfully ignorant morons who think "freedom" means making the government less able to stop corporations from bullying them, and listening to the allegedly liberal president say he is more concerned his constituents (i.e. corporations and the conservative astroturf bullshit mill) see him as anti-business rather than his base (i.e. those who worked hard to get him elected) seeing him as completely oblivious to their suffering and unwilling to fight their battles. He has thrown the Democratic party under the bus with his last state of the union, basically choosing to be elected in 2012 (with both branches of congress in Republican hands) over staying true to any kind of conviction. It would be a lovely tragedy if it were fiction. The Republican assholes in congress, elected by the mandate of the people to Get The Country Back (to the middle ages, to apartheid, to de-facto feudalism, or wherever the fuck) are already working hard to roll back the health care reform bill that was passed last year, because that would somehow help people get jobs... it is a fucking mess. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they succeeded.

The bottom line is, no need to be a dick about how fucked up this country is. In 10, 20 years the empire will completely crumble under its own weight and stupidity. There'll be creationist theme parks in every city and the schools will be segregated anew. College will be prohibitively expensive for everyone and there will be no point in going, since there will be no prospects anywhere. All the engineering and serious science will be done abroad, in countries that care about education and staying competitive, rather than some absurd free-market-will-safe-us-all nonsense.

Then the war with Mexico will start when some Great White Hope (Palin herself perhaps!) starts a full-on Kristallnacht. By this point, the world will have moved on and the American Empire will have ended.

The US political scene is seriously giving me flashbacks to Yugoslavia in the early nineties. US capitalism is in full-on cannibalism mode.

Maybe even moreso than in the robber baron times, since back then the little people knew that the interests of the rich didn't reflect their interests. The conservative astroturf bullshit mill has won. Thoroughly. There is no saving America.

:buyme: :buyme: :buyme:

We definitely need a certain amount of regulations, and some of the rights corporations have are over the line, but let's not pretend like big business is the cause of all the country's problems. Everytime I hear someone talk like that I think of the hippie in the coffee shop who just blames his own situation on the politicians and the corporations all day long.

The US political scene is seriously giving me flashbacks to Yugoslavia in the early nineties. US capitalism is in full-on cannibalism mode.

Zing. That's what transforms your post from apocalyptic speculation to something that really makes me shudder.

College will be prohibitively expensive

Already is, I could get into college and get a degree for 180€ a year (like 150$) but that's besides the point…

I really like the way cracked talks about bill maher "Here's an interesting thing, anyway look at me" (i went something like that at least) but he said something that seems true :

With Obama "common ground" often seems to be the ground republicans are standing on.

The problem is they're not moving and they have the power now so…*either you do little or you do nothing I guess.

HEY, we should not worry about life, let's enjoy this joyful video together !

dZe1AeH0Qz8

We definitely need a certain amount of regulations, and some of the rights corporations have are over the line, but let's not pretend like big business is the cause of all the country's problems. Everytime I hear someone talk like that I think of the hippie in the coffee shop who just blames his own situation on the politicians and the corporations all day long.

By definition, if a state has problem, they are a political issue. If the politics of said country do not resolve said problem, then they become a problem of their own that we replace the original problem with :

So to me, politics are the only problem in America as a state… Cause most americans I meet are fucking great people and hard working…

That duty calls video is brilliant haha. Was that made in garry's mod or something?

Done by Epic Games, actually. And it's rather distressing to realize it's true. . .

I'm downloading Duty Calls right now. I really want to check that out unspoiled. The idea of it is hilarious to me. Can't wait to give it a quick run through.

Done by Epic Games, actually. And it's rather distressing to realize it's true. . .

It's part of their marketing campaign for Bulletstorm. Can't wait for that to come out.

dZe1AeH0Qz8

Man, that documentary was damn depressing to watch. A good watch, but depressing.

So to me, politics are the only problem in America as a state… Cause most americans I meet are fucking great people and hard working…

This has been my experience as well. I've been stateside a couple of times now and all I have met is lovely people! Although I did witness some fine Kentucky drivin'.

When all is said and done, there is still the Daily Show to give me hope!

9PnHzD1gPak

Don't know if it can be considered funny, but it's mr. movie critic taking on the Sega Activator years ago.