Thyroid

Obligatory comical YouTube thread

That pretty much sums it up for me. Simply put: what the flying monkey flinging fuck was that?

That, is entirely the point.

this is great

No it's not. It's broken.

But check this out:

PyOZK64WLdY

Here's the video I tried to post ages back... Copyright stopped it from staying up for longer than a few hours, but now it's around. Since I tried to post it, it won an Oscar for Best Animated Short.

I think it's awesome for so many reasons...

81d8SUaCMJo

Reasons why you should watch this:

1. Se7en and Fight Club director, David Fincher, does one of the voices.

2. It's quite unlike anything you've ever seen before.

3. It's a cynical and subversive look at our world...

4. ...but it's also exciting, well crafted and fun.

5. Take a look at some stills from the film...

logorama.jpg

ronald-logorama.jpg

Don't be afraid of the play button! :)

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

Fantastic... what's that music from? It's typical John Williams fare, but I need to know which movie.

Why would the game makers set Watson up in such a way? Why would that not seem out of place when playtesting? That is too crazy!

This makes me think of the third Gabriel Knight game. That game had that bizarro engine that did so many things weirdly, back at the dawn of 3D. Anyone trying to develop new interfaces and technologies should play that thing.

For those who never played the game: the player's presence in the game world was a disembodied camera that could go practically anywhere in the world. When something half the world over is interacted with, Gabriel would teleport right outside of frame, walk in and do whatever. However, if you interacted with something while facing the location of the Gabriel avatar (even if he was obstructed by a building) he would walk all the way from where he was standing to do his thing. This could sometimes take a minute or more.

Bonus fact: the game used vertex animation. I have no idea how anyone could ever think that it would be more time-consuming to use skeletons.

I think the Watson thing was because they couldn't afford/didn't know how to animate characters walking, so they did that teleportation thing to try to compensate.

For those who never played the game: the player's presence in the game world was a disembodied camera that could go practically anywhere in the world. When something half the world over is interacted with, Gabriel would teleport right outside of frame, walk in and do whatever. However, if you interacted with something while facing the location of the Gabriel avatar (even if he was obstructed by a building) he would walk all the way from where he was standing to do his thing. This could sometimes take a minute or more.

I remember that. It was weird to be able to go anywhere without your character, but it was handy in the way that you didn't really have to wait for him to walk anywhere as well. It's still definitely the worst game of the series I think. I actually was considering mentioning Gabriel Knight when seeing that Watson video as well.

Bonus fact: the game used vertex animation. I have no idea how anyone could ever think that it would be more time-consuming to use skeletons.

I remember reading a post mortem on the game that said they were stuck with a lot of the animations and graphics already created by a team less experienced with 3D and for some reason could not backtrack without starting over because of the engine they developed. I'm probably glazing over every point made in the document and I could be wrong anyway since it's been so long since I read the post mortem, but it made Gabriel Knight 3 seemed like a clusterfuck of a development that really shouldn't have been finished in the end.

I remember that. It was weird to be able to go anywhere without your character, but it was handy in the way that you didn't really have to wait for him to walk anywhere as well. It's still definitely the worst game of the series I think.
I just had to say that I disagree - I prefer the third game to all the others in the series. FMV with the incredibly talented actors was enough to make #2 unenjoyable.

Ooh, and Andrew Bird roxors. :pwned:

Well the first is my favorite. I guess I like the second one more because it's pretty damn good for an FMV game, rather than it being a really good adventure.

I'm with Wormsie here. I like third one better than the first one, and I never played the second one. It is really a surprisingly good game considering how bad it is and how many things went horribly wrong with its production. You can see that practically no one had fun making that thing, and yet the game doesn't suck as much as it should.

I'm with Wormsie here. I like third one better than the first one, and I never played the second one. It is really a surprisingly good game considering how bad it is and how many things went horribly wrong with its production. You can see that practically no one had fun making that thing, and yet the game doesn't suck as much as it should.

Glowing praise.

"It is really a surprisingly good game considering how bad it is" might be my new sig quote...

Glowing praise.

"It is really a surprisingly good game considering how bad it is" might be my new sig quote...

It's true, though!

Most games from that period used vertex animations. Skeletal animation came back in 2000. In fact, as far as I can tell not a lot of games before 2000 used skeletal animations.

Vertex animations are easier to render, because everything is precalculated.

I've always liked the third one, the first one was also great with the voice acting and Mark Hamill being there and I never liked GK2's way of going to crappy actors and FMV even though the story is pretty nice with Neuschwanstein castle.

Truth to be told, I've only completed the first two as always when I start playing the third one, at some point my save game files disappear. I don't know what is with that and how it happens? Maybe all my PC's hate Gabriel Knight 3. But the third one has a lot of charm that it keeps pulling me back in from time to time.

Dug up because of idiotpassenger's post in the new people thread:

kHIegpSmIyw

I thought this was especially hilarious as I have a close relative with a "disease" who was "miraculously cured" by woo woo.

Dug up because of idiotpassenger's post in the new people thread:

Bob Ducca's List of Ailments

Heheh real lols here. I've heard Bob Ducca before but I never knew his name, cheers.

I giggled, such a fantastic mod for TF.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuR3i0_4lY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRuR3i0_4lY&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>