Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

So I'm off to Vancouver in may...

...to have a holiday/look see.

Can anyone recommend anything to do/see?

The plan was originally to take a month off, go to Toronto for a week or so, fly to Calgary, then drive through the Rockies to Vancouver. Unfortunately, work won't let me take a month off, so 2 weeks it is.

There's a vague plan to get a car and drive to Calgary and back anyway, but I'm not so sure if we have to drive both ways...seems like a waste of a holiday to spend 4 days driving.

Only thing I know about Vancouver is that it has a very good band called Black Mountain. Umm, so yeah. If you see a Black Mountain show, go in.

:getmecoat

There's a vague plan to get a car and drive to Calgary and back anyway, but I'm not so sure if we have to drive both ways...seems like a waste of a holiday to spend 4 days driving.

If you're driving the M10, sure. But the Rockies? Or, really, anywhere in Canada (that isn't south ontario or southern prairies)? That to me IS the vacation. I've done two road trips across Canada (one easterly, one westerly) and both were beautiful adventures. Haven't been to the Rockies yet though :shifty: (but I am hoping for a Yukon trip one day.)

I guess it depends on how much you like scenery and nature though. If you're not into that, then, yeah. Might as well stay in Vancouver and daytrip to Banff or something.

You know, I think you speak the truth. The whole idea of driving from Calgary to Vancouver in the first place was to see the Rockies in late spring/early summer before getting to the city.

I went to the Zoo/Aquarium in Vancouver a couple of times when I was a kid. I think it's called (or located in) Stanley Park? I haven't been back up there in ages though, so I don't have any grown-up suggestions. Sorry!

You know, I think you speak the truth. The whole idea of driving from Calgary to Vancouver in the first place was to see the Rockies in late spring/early summer before getting to the city.

Yes, it should be quite pretty.

Too bad you're not coming to Toronto. I'd show you around.

I live in Calgary. I don't recommend spending much time here, honestly. Every time I head BC-ward, there's a choice I have to make about route. I say choice, but really there is none. It takes a couple of hours longer, but go through the Crowsnest Pass. It's bloody beautiful man, you won't regret it.

Too bad you're not coming to Toronto. I'd show you around.

Damn! Well, that was the original plan...but I would lose my job if I did that I think. Shame. However, we will be coming back to Toronto in September.

'Crowsnest Pass' eh? That's the sort of info I'm talking about. Is that the road that goes through towns like Sparwood and Coleman?

Dunno, kinda got bored with the other one. First used it in '93 or something. Plus it was a pretty lame gag, all said and done. Almost embarrassingly so. :mock:

Goes through Frank and Vermillion, and eventually passes things like Kootenay as well. Don't recall those towns you mentioned exactly, but it's possible.

Had a meeting about emigration visas etc. yesterday - went quite well, but the company charge quite a lot of money for it. :shifty:

Excited :)