Erkki

Full Throttle Movie

Is it worth playing through Full Throttle or am I better off just watching this?

I mean, I've got so much to play right now, and although I love Tim FREAKIN' Schafer, I can't summon the energy to faff around in SCUMMVM again.

Meh, video games.

[RPS is a great site by the way, a goldmine of links to indie gems that have been swallowed up by big names]

Is it worth playing through Full Throttle or am I better off just watching this?

playing it is better

Playing it is better (there's a few bits in the fan movie that won't make sense otherwise), and it shouldn't take you too long. It's a short game. :)

If I get a free day then I may just blast through it like I did with BASS last month.

You just reminded me of this fact:

Beneath a Steel Sky is fucking awesome. I seldom think about it, but when I'm reminded of it it hits me like a sack of shit -- the puzzles, the mood of the game, the voices (which I, possibly only I, thought were awesome), the everything.

Yup, one of my very favourite adventure games. I can't really put a finger on what makes it so wonderful, but wonderful it is.

Damn right, it managed to distract me from all of the shiny new games and captivated me enough to finish it in a day. Excellent game, stands up really well.

It's free on (the great) GOG.com; it installs SCUMMVM and everything for you, which is very useful because none of my adventure games seem to load properly when I try with the emu.

I love adventure games, and I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of Beneath a Steel Sky. What kind of release did this get in the US? Anyway I just downloaded it, looks interesting. Though it seems very pixel-huntey from the first few rooms I checked out, but I can live with that if the game is that good.

More on topic, I'm getting no picture on the Full Throttle video, is there some kind of codec I'm missing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. Amazing how a simple thing like changing the aspect ratio makes it look ten times as cinematic... Why hasn't anyone ever tried to make a game in 2.35:1 before?

Edited by Horticulture Tycoon

I don't think it's pixel huntey at all actually. Really, it's not very heavy on puzzles at all, huntey or otherwise. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Yeah, it's less heavy on the use rope on leg of lamb, and more heavy on the fucking awesome.

There is one puzzle where you use a card on the shed door to get the clippers that requires pixel hunting, but other than that it's great. Remember to save when you reach the train tunnel towards te end of the game, I hadn't for an hour and luckily made a save the screen before almost certain death.

There's a moment in Full Throttle that is easily the most frustrating pixel-hunting experience I have ever had in a game, but that really is the only bad memory I have of that game. It's my favorite adventure game for sure, and a worthwhile experience for anyone to play.

There's a bit where you have to kick a wall in exactly the right place that drove me nuts. The combat is also extremely frustrating and completely down to chance - and your chance of winning is about 1 in 20.

Other than that this game this game's Freakin' Sweet Quotient is about what you'd expect from Tim Schafer.

ScummVM is really easy to use these days, too.

That Full Throttle movie is dreadful. It cuts out loads of cool stuff for no reason, but keeps in bits and pieces of dialogue that don't sound half as cool out of context. He even cuts out the 'You know what might look better on your face?' line! Unbelievable!

It cuts out loads of cool stuff for no reason, but keeps in bits and pieces of dialogue that don't sound half as cool out of context. He even cuts out the 'You know what might look better on your face?' line! Unbelievable!

Yeah, perhaps too much stuff was cut. I'd like to see someone give it a second try, because if done properly, the movie would be more than awesome. I wonder if the art could be somehow turned into vector images and rendered in higher quality? Can current graphics technology do that?

I know that some guy rendered a linkeness of Mona Lisa from polygons, using Markov Chains.

With all the insanely awesome shit that's being done with graphics these days, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

That Full Throttle movie is dreadful. It cuts out loads of cool stuff for no reason, but keeps in bits and pieces of dialogue that don't sound half as cool out of context. He even cuts out the 'You know what might look better on your face?' line! Unbelievable!

Speaking as an occasional wannabe screenwriter myself, there's a lot to be said for concision. "Kill your darlings" is the phrase a lot of writers use: If it doesn't advance the plot, illustrate character, or establish tone, then it's gotta go, it doesn't matter how much you love it.

I mean, what would be the point of including every line of dialogue? You have the game there if you want that experience. The purpose of the video is to boil the game down to its essence, and it does that very effectively in my opinion.

There's a moment in Full Throttle that is easily the most frustrating pixel-hunting experience I have ever had in a game, but that really is the only bad memory I have of that game. It's my favorite adventure game for sure, and a worthwhile experience for anyone to play.

Definitely. There are times when looks overtook common sense design. It's a shame to say it, but it's true. I was going to put together a "spoiler free" Full Throttle walk through that just had screen shot of the things you wouldn't know where there... but er, I never got around to it. (Great story, huh?)

Despite that, it's still an awesome game, though.

As a younger GameFaqs aided gamer, I was able to skip most of the tedious pixel hunting in Full Throttle when I played it for the first time about a year ago. The story was awesome and I really enjoyed the whole ride even though it was over after only one sitting.

Also, Luke Skywalker is Ben!? That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

No, Mark Hamill does the voice of Adrian Ripburger, the villain. Ben is done by the late Roy Conrad.

Wow, apparently google has failed me. Ah well, does it really matter when neither of the characters sound anything like the guy.

Ripburger does have a few things in common with Hamill's Joker from the early 90's Batman cartoon though. Dude did a lot of voice acting back in the day. Probably still does, but I'm less attentive now.

Yeah, I actually think Ripburger sounds very recognizably like Mark Hamill. He also does the voice of that crazy trucker hauling the fertilizer, now that one sounds nothing like him.

Also, when did Mark Hamill become one of the Lost Boys?

kubin01.gif