Sign in to follow this  
Salka

How I Met Your Mother

I've tried watching this again and again and it just seems really poor and crap. But I'm desperate to like it because ... because lots of people I really respect like it and so there must be something good about it right? I feel left out, like I don't get the joke, and that makes me feel unpopular ;(

I know people who have a really awesome sense of humour and love this show. There was one guy at work who kept repeating a line from it, and when he said it it was funny, but when I watched it in the show it was the opposite of funny... It was unfunny.

Does anyone here like it? If so why? Please tell me the secret to liking this allegedly awesome show ;(

I think it's awesome. I'm pretty torn about it because it has all these hallmarks of the Typical American Shitty Comedy Show, which usually makes me turn off instantly. I think I started watching it because there were a billion people in various roles who had also starred in Buffy/Angel, but I continued watching it because I found the script and acting to be hilarious enough of the time. Sometimes I'll smile all day thinking on a certain joke from an episode. It's not the Constantly Hilarious Show though, because for some reason it has to work within this established framework -- there's the emotional scenes, the (seemingly) canned laughter, the phony limitations of the stage, etc., but when the writing shows through it's all worth it, for me at least.

I'd give it a couple of episodes, but if you don't like it by then it's probably not for you.

The thing that's put me off massively so far is the acting. I was so happy to find Willow and Dr Horrible in the cast, and I didn't even mind the canned laughter so much, but the acting is too much to bear. It's so ... man I don't even know what the word is ... It's proper crappy sitcom acting. I'm so eloquent today :)

Hmm I guess I will try it a bit more, I've never sat through an entire episode because it's so initially offputting. Do you recommend starting from er... the start?

Yeah, I guess. It's not super important since there's not much of a story, but it's a show that actually does reference itself in sometimes hilarious ways, and if you don't like the early stuff you won't like it at all. And yeah, it's mostly sitcom acting...

I loved the first three series' - I only discovered it last summer, and it took me a few months to catch up. Then I waited in breathless anticipation for the 4th series...and meh. It seemed to have changed, and lost that cruicial something that stopped it from teetering on the edge of 'Typical American Shitty Comedy Show' (TM-Toblix) and 'Brilliant', and has now slapped down firmly on the side of TASCS. Not even Barney is good any more.

Can't offer words of encouragement. This series has always seemed dire for the 10 minutes that I can stand it.

I'd agree with the terrible acting and the often crass script. There are better sitcoms out there (UK grown 'outnumbered' has been floating my boat).

How I Met Your Mother(

Answer: She was giving me a lift to something and I got her to swing by yours and pick up you and Spaff.

I find the show ok, the sort of thing I would have on if nothing else was on but i wouldn't give it my full attention (back in the days when i watched too much TV).

I saw some of this at a friend's house one time and it seemed like typical stupid sitcom bullshit. But it's hard to judge a serial based on an isolated viewing, so I don't pretend my opinion is informed.

How I Met Your Mother has a good episode once in a while, but the Big Bang Theory is much better

There's a UK sitcom called Not Going Out. It has that same old-school studio-produced live-audience cringeworthy sitcom thing about it, but it also has excellent writing in the form of very, very funny one-liners and put-downs. It's mostly a vehicle for Lee Mack.

i really really don't see the attraction of this show either. and one of the people i live with is mad about it so i've seen enough to know i hate it. however i have become massively obsessed with garth merenghi's darkplace - how did i not know this existed? i'm going to marry matt berry. so my name will be joberry. sigh.

I watch it... mainly because I'm a fan of Jason Segel. The multi-camera sitcom is pretty much on its last legs but I find this less dismal than the other stuff... it's not a must-watch for me but as a 20-minute diversion... could be worse.

The biggest reason i continue to watch HIMYM is one character in the series. That's right, Barney. I'm not sure why, but i love that character. It has some boring episodes too, but mostly i find it enjoyable enough to continue watching it.

Someone mentioned Big Bang Theory, and i just have to chime in and say that it's awesome. If you haven't checked it out, you should.

Sometimes the show will falter, or put Britney Spears in awkwardly, but I find it to be really great most of the time, especially when Neil Patrick Harris is involved. I caught up with it on DVD and am eagerly anticipating season 4 on DVD/Season 5 airing this month.

Big Bang Theory never really connected with me. Mainly because the few episodes I did see of it overdid the "Anxious, socially awkward nerdy guy has a really annoying voice" stereotype- something I just can't stand that also seems like the basis of the entire show. Is there more to it than this clip, which I almost turned off halfway? And furthermore, what's the joke here?

Big Bang Theory really had to grow on me, and even then the main point to keep watching was because of... that one nerd guy. The Doppler Effect guy. I forget his name. The rest of the ensemble just doesn't cut it.

How I met your mother, however, shines, in my opinion! What a wonderful ensemble, really giving the show warmth and humour.

Big Bang Theory really had to grow on me, and even then the main point to keep watching was because of... that one nerd guy. The Doppler Effect guy. I forget his name. The rest of the ensemble just doesn't cut it.

Sheldon.

Prince World of Warcraft power leveling Michael Jackson. What a hardcore name.