Thrik

Five BioShock sequels

And does it really surprise anyone that the game industry is going to take a game that may or may not have been setup for sequels, and string it out to milk every last dollar from it?

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Haha, yeah I can't really think of hardly any games made to be perfectly stand alone, except maybe Grim Fandango or Another World, which got a sequel anyways despite what Eric Chahi said.

Maybe Ico and Shadow of the Collosus?

Haha, yeah I can't really think of hardly any games made to be perfectly stand alone, except maybe Grim Fandango or Another World, which got a sequel anyways despite what Eric Chahi said.

Maybe Ico and Shadow of the Collosus?

I agree with the Team ICO games. Psychonauts. The original Metal Gear Solid could have been sequel-less. Errr...Sam and Max Hit the Road?

Psychonauts could still have a spin off or sequel one day, it hasn't been ruled out, but Schafer games usually end up being a lonely title in a series.

Sam and Max had apparently many other sequels started that no one even knew about according to the Rogue Book, but they are characters well constructed to keep going, since they keep switching mediums and staying alive 20 years after their first comic book.

There's absolutely no reason Sam & Max should have been stand-alone, except financial arguments. They could make about twenty games simply relying on stories from the comics, or more if they come up with new ones. I'd say it's inherently suitable for sequels.

What I meant was all of those games can be played as stand-alones, with no prior introduction to the universe, and no continuation. I mean it's not like Hit the Road ends on a cliffhanger. :shifty:

Except when THE GEEK appeared on the show and everyone who played the game or read the comic before then was really god damned confused.

I was much less confused when she disappeared in the next incarnation though.

What was also confusing was that weird blue pocket squirrel gizmo that was going to appear in the cancelled Freelance Police game, as well as that yellow cat in the trailer dressed as a police man. Those break continuity way more than redwood trees taking over western USA ever would. So glad Telltale got the license.

Lemme bump this thread.

Well, I just wanted to say this: having just finished Bioshock (and gotten an ending with

Little Sisters getting married then holding Jack's hand as he lies on his deathbed - it's always 'Jack' by the way, isn't it?

), the thought of a sequel makes me very sad.

I loved the original, I loved how complete and well-thought out the world was, how it was part of a much, much larger world but also self-contained. It very much feels like a one-shot, and I just can't see the universe or story (although it's not like that was exactly laid on thick) go on any further. This is definitely a case where you don't want to learn more about the world; ten bucks says there's going to be a spin-off about the building of Rapture. The only thing that isn't making me completely bummed about it is that Ken Levine has nothing to do with it. Good. I'd rather see him do something else.

That having been said, according to Wikipedia,

The game received overwhelmingly positive reviews, and ranks as the twenty-second highest rated video game on Game Rankings based on reviews from critics
which is a head-scratcher because although the game is good, I don't think it's that good. And what's with people praising the "morality-based story"? What morality based story? Don't/kill young girl? Maybe it's because my expectations for a "deep" story have been raised sky-high lately (thanks Dekalog), but again: what "morality"? There's been very little moral questioning involved, apart from, again, saving/slaughtering a bunch of little girls. Gamers confuse me sometimes.

Yup, I was saying something similar earlier in the thread:

I didn't see a lot of moral ambiguity in BioShock, there's a right thing to do with regards to the Little Sisters, and a wrong thing to do. This is pretty much obvious right from the word go. And besides, the reveal that

you were basically a puppet the entire time without any free will

makes the character's whole moral dilemma kind of moot, anyway.

Every post I've written about games so far has been a :tdown:, so I won't bother soliloquising about how BioShock has no replay value, weak core gameplay, the illusion of consequence and overrated story elements.

:clap:

THANK YOU ! I've been telling this to everyone who said that Bioshock is one of the best FPSs "Ever111!!!!". The only thing it had going for it was good art direction. It pretended to be a lot more philosophical than it was, it basically said "you have choice !!! just kidding"

THANK YOU ! I've been telling this to everyone who said that Bioshock is one of the best FPSs "Ever111!!!!".

That defines the margin on "the best". Sure, BioShock is not Serious Sam: Second Encounter, or Rise of the Triads. But til still belongs on the best FPS games, as there are more FPS games that are much worse.

That defines the margin on "the best". Sure, BioShock is not Serious Sam: Second Encounter, or Rise of the Triads. But til still belongs on the best FPS games, as there are more FPS games that are much worse.

Its a good game, but I wouldn't consider it a classic. Worthy of mention , but for me not in the same league as Deus Ex or Halflife.

ten bucks says there's going to be a spin-off about the building of Rapture.

Sim City: Rapture, yeah I'd buy that.

I think the most important part about the Star Wars comparison that is being missed is that they weren't all sequels. Think about all the back information we can learn about the Rapture crew!!!

------------------

Isn't everyone interested in seeing how Andrew Ryan used to be a little slave boy who raced his way into freedom?

What about his abnormally large ADAM count, leading to his genius and the creation of Rapture?

Or, the greatest moment of Ryan's life, meeting Jack's (your character's name, if I recall correctly) stripper of a mom as a young girl, when she used to frolic around, flashing her parts to the playground boys for a nickle.

------------------

There are so many great moments that we're going to miss out on by these games not being made...Who's with me for an online petition?