Spaff

Happy News Year: Chris Morris's film about terrorists finally has funding \o/

The Dad's Army side of terrorism, haha. I didn't see whole lot of Brass Eye except the special, which I loved. It was so ridiculously good with the inserts, the roboplegic wrong-cock, MOrris tucking his children into filing cabinets... gorgeous.

:) see you remember them from decline, which is the best epsiode, which means secretly tou like the paedo special :)

Bah!

I even have tolerance for the IT Crowd, so apparently you can pretty much disregard everything I say.
The IT Crowd is really rather excellent :yep: I loved Father Ted, so anything approaching that level gets my respect.

I was dubious about the IT crowd at first. However while the whole "computer people are funny and socially awkward" concept is hateful, the series does have snippets of brilliant writing and very funny jokes scattered throughout. Series 2 was also a big improvement on series 1 (probably because they could start moving away from stories about computer people being funny and socially awkward).

The IT Crowd is not particularly good or bad it's just generic. If it's on I can watch it but I rarely remember much of it half an hour later.

As a professional computer person (or I would be if I had a job) I would like to say that the "computer people are funny and socially awkward" concept is not remotely hateful. The jokes at our expense are always affectionate and, frankly, pretty accurate in my experience.

It can be done well... but the Moss character, for instance, I find pretty offensive and not very funny or accurate. He's a grotesque. The Irish guy though I can relate to better, even though I'm not really like him.

At its best it laughs with geeks rather than at them. For instance this clip from series 3.

Yeah, but it's hardly set in reality, Dan... This is the series where a goth lives in the boiler room. Every character is OTT in some way, not just the "geeks" (who more often that not are the ones we root for). The series is extremely affectionate towards geeks, IMO. Graham Lineham is a self-confessed (Psychonauts loving) geek, so that kind of sums it up to me.

Did you think that Father Ted was making serious statements about Catholicism with characters like Dougal and Father Jack?

It was very accurate of Irish priests actually ¬¬

Also often a painfully accurate representation of some parts of Ireland...

Did you think that Father Ted was making serious statements about Catholicism with characters like Dougal and Father Jack?

Father Ted and Father Dougal were simply funny characters. If they had just been stereotypes of catholic priests then it would have been a sitcom about a bunch of paedophiles.

I do actually like the IT crowd, but I was initially put off by it's apparent reliance on lazy stereotype.

I only watched the first season of the IT Crowd and thought it was shit. A few people told me later series were better, but I've never got back around to it.

Father Ted achieved a curious mix by sending up the Catholic church. Catholics could laugh because of the sheer ridiculousness and exaggeration of it compared to real priests, whereas everyone else including other denominations could point and laugh out of viciousness. I loved it :tup:

stop de-railing the thread you swine!

p.s father ted is a million billion miles way from the IT crowd, how did graham lineham become so... tepid?

"Let's try this again shall we Dougal? Small."

*points at toy cow on table"

"Far away"

*points at real cow in the distance*

Wonderfully silly program.