Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Next² Generation Consoles

If Microsoft were to release a Blu-ray player on their machine, I'd buy the upgrade immediately and be done with the whole struggle of whether to buy a PS3 altogether.

If Microsoft were to release a Blu-ray player on their machine, I'd buy the upgrade immediately and be done with the whole struggle of whether to buy a PS3 altogether.

I would still want PS3 as a media player. A media player should be quiet.

Memory is cheap, but not that cheap. You just can't beat a plastic disc.

I raise you cartridge.

I got my wii and I got my 360... I haven't touched my wii basically since I bought it, I barely started on twilight princess. I bought my 360 when gta4 came out and once I was finished with that it just collected dust since.... I did however pick up Bully and Assasin's Creed. I am about 3/4 way throug Assasin's Creed as of now (2 months later). Point being is that I really just have given up on consoles, not really sure why. I would like the ps3 mainly just for drake's fortune and mgs4, but it is just not worth it end the end. I am now primarily a PC gamer, which is somewhat of a change.

I don't reckon I will pick up a next gen console if things are in the same shape as they are in now.

You'd think it would be easy for MS to add a blu-ray drive, another CPU and upgraded graphics. Heck they might even be able to SLI the current GPU. That way they'd maintain 100% backwards compatibility and there'd be nearly no R&D cost.

Blimey... it's like the 32X never existed. :getmecoat

The unnecessary pressure Microsoft has already put on developers, i.e. no guarantee of mass storage, must already be a pain in the arse for them--nevermind whether or not people have the '720' add-on as well.

And it just won't sell, people won't get it:

• So... this is a new console?
    No, it's an add-on for the old console.
  • I can buy this and just play the new games, right?
    No, you have to buy the old system - plus this - to play the new games.
  • Can I play this on my Xbox?
    Which Xbox have you got?
    Um, that 3-wotsit thingy.
    Have you got the 720 add-on?
    Uh... the what?
    The 720--look, no, you can't play it on your machine. Sorry.

Retrofitting existing hardware is a recipe for disaster IMO.

I'm ready for the new consoles, hoping at least a little buzz will start up around the end of the year. The whole build up period towards a new generation, tech spec rumors and such is kinda fun.

Some console games just feel so limited by the hardware. Load times are long in some cases, not enough memory or power to really take advantage of 1080p or even 720p resolution, poor frame rates and so on.

Not really sold on developers finding new or secret ability in systems either. Seems the PS3 had some early problems but at this point I think we've seen about the best the PS3 and 360 can do technically. There's no trick that will suddenly allow a Gears of War quality game suddenly run at a flawless 60fps.

I think we're due for another round of portables, but the big boys still have another few years under the TV. Nintendo may be happy to milk the DS for a while longer yet, but it's feeling more and more dated. The PSP has finally carved out a niche for itself but is crying out for a damned second analogue stick already. I think if nothing else, it's time for Sony to offer up a new portable console. Given how long the original Gameboy went on, Nintendo may not unleash one just yet, but PSP2 is due.

Blimey... it's like the 32X never existed.

I don't see how they'd be able to do it as an add-on. I was really thinking of them just doing it as another console using most of the same tech.

I don't see how they'd be able to do it as an add-on. I was really thinking of them just doing it as another console using most of the same tech.

I see where you're coming from, but unless the iteration just improves (what are effectively) peripherals - like larger hard drives, wireless controllers, HDMI ports, etc. - then it's effectively a new machine.

If the guts are different, no matter how subtle, then it's got to be sold as a new machine to the public.

I think we're due for another round of portables, but the big boys still have another few years under the TV. Nintendo may be happy to milk the DS for a while longer yet, but it's feeling more and more dated. The PSP has finally carved out a niche for itself but is crying out for a damned second analogue stick already. I think if nothing else, it's time for Sony to offer up a new portable console. Given how long the original Gameboy went on, Nintendo may not unleash one just yet, but PSP2 is due.

I hate the way Sony seem to be doing the whole "incremental" thing with PSP, it's bad enough with yearly updates to games, but it gets a bit ridiculous with a whole platform, especially when the updates are so minor. They should just put a halt to it and release one with two analogue sticks, longer lasting battery, a big hard-drive and similar visuals but with the power to run most games at 60FPS. There's your formula. If they went fully downloadable it would be a great avenue for small one or two man devs to get other games out there to a good audience at a low expense (I'm thinking App Store).

What really fucks me off about the PSP is that I've found myself playing emulated PSX games on it the most. I know I've bored people with my pompous opinion of the PSP before, but hey--new folks!

I can't see any point to the PSP in its current format. The drudgery of bland, mutilated PS2 ports or completely forgettable PSP-only titles that have swamped the system have really left me feeling burned by Sony. There are a few gems, here and there, with Super Stardust Portable being a stellar example of what the PSP should be regularly offering this late in its life-cycle.

As it is, you get the odd quirk - like LocoRoco and such - but so much of what's available on PSP--at least to Western audiences--is forgettable dross. There's well short of a dozen titles I would personally recommend for the thing, and only one of those appeared in the last 9 months (Super Stardust Portable).

I like the idea of a "proper" portable PS2-alike though, gdf--especially with SDK and App Store ideas. Throw in the glorious PS2 back-catalogue, downloadable for cheap online, and it'd be killer. :tup:

"Is that God Hand in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?"

Please, Sony... pretty please? I'm moist just thinking about it. :chaste:

Edited by Wrestlevania
I'm repeating others, getting stuff in the wrong order and *really* should just go to bed... :-/

My PSP library:

Katamari

Crush

Loco Roco

Exit

Metal Gear Ac!d, Ac!d 2, and Portable Ops

Every Extend Extra

Ratchet and Clank

Lumines

God of War

Patapon

Both GTAs

an imported copy of Gitaroo Man

My DS library:

way too big to list.

I like to think that I haven't missed any of the must-play titles for the PSP. The fact that after owning the thing for 4 years now I can list them this easily makes me sad. They just don't seem to care that much about it, which is odd seeing as it's actually more successful than the PS3. It's still nice to have, and now and then I'll start to favor it over the DS for a month or so, but I inevitably go back to my Lite. Most recently, for Air Traffic Chaos and Chrono Trigger. I'd consider both of those must-plays and they both came out in the last few months. The only thing I think I'd like to get for the PSP that I don't have right now is that Castlevania one. The software lineup for this system really is a disappointment. Still, it has been, if only just, worth the purchase. I'd be interested in what they'd do with the PSP2. I think at this point though, they need to do what MS did with the original XBOX. Declare it a moderately successful entry into the market, and roll out a far superior (games-wise) successor.

Not really sold on developers finding new or secret ability in systems either. Seems the PS3 had some early problems but at this point I think we've seen about the best the PS3 and 360 can do technically. There's no trick that will suddenly allow a Gears of War quality game suddenly run at a flawless 60fps.

Sure there are. There are games being made right now that won't be out until 2010. Are you telling me that none of them will surpass, from a technical and artistic point of view, Gears of War... which, by then, will be a four year old game? Pfft.

Besides, that is all part of Sony's strategy :shifty::shifty: (actual Kaz Hirai quote)

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process

:frusty:

Sure there are. There are games being made right now that won't be out until 2010. Are you telling me that none of them will surpass, from a technical and artistic point of view, Gears of War... which, by then, will be a four year old game? Pfft.

I agree; that's pure guff. Those so inclined managed to get a Commodore 64 doing real-time, phong-shaded 3D a couple of years ago. Even in their heyday, far more powerful machines like the Amiga and Atari ST really struggled to achieve anything like that level of graphical complexity.

Fair enough, I agree the later stuff will improve, I just think it will be marginal. It would take quite a bit for me to play a game and think 'wow, I didn't know 360 or PS3 could do that!' at this point. More likely I will play the 2010 games and they will feel like very good games for the system, but far below the state of the art. Which is fine, I think 2010 should be the final year of this gen.

I think the Resistance might have something to say about that, Bruce:

As depressing as a motorway service station at 4.25am when the arcade is closed and the restaurant has sold out of chips. And a cup of tea is £3.99 and it's 20p to use the toilet.

I think he was being sarcastic, he constantly touts the 360 as supreme ;)

Ah, well, you can probably guess I didn't actually read it; I just had that UK:R article open when the thread update email arrived. :getmecoat