Jake

Idle Thumbs XI-2: The Legend of Big Bird's Bones

The thrilling conclusion to Idle Thumbs IX is here! Since this is literally a continuation of last week, there's again a little audio weirdness, so our apologies for that. Otherwise, enjoy!

"Concluding our trio of podcasts recorded two weeks ago due to holiday issues, the crew remains joined by 2K Marin's Steve Gaynor to discuss psychopathic murderer Gordon Freeman, John Madden getting a government bailout, classic network sitcom Coach, and the love affair between the Japanese people and Wizardry."

Games Discussed: Half-Life 2, The Dark Spire, Bangai-O Spirits, DinoPark Tycoon, Burnout Paradise, Fallout 3, Far Cry 2

iTunes

RSS

http://www.idlethumbs.net/

again Far Cry 2? and Oblivion with Guns?

it's noticeable that this is recorded in a row, it's not as edgy as the rest, it doesn't really blow you away ign.com.

Also, the audio is a bit fucked up, did one mike break?

ps, 10 points to the person registering holeraper.com

Nick's mic was turned off accidentally, just like last week's. This week's show is literally the second half of last week's.

This might be a silly request, but could you make the games listed in 'games discussed this week' link to the game websites?

This is awesome. It's incredible that you manage to release these so regularly and with such consistently high quality. I don't know how much editing goes on (if it's just inserting sound effects and jingles or actually paring the dialogue down to make it more focused) but the result is fantastic. It also helps a lot that (it seems to me) you're using high quality audio equipment for recording and not some Logitech gadget.

My favorite parts are the more original game-based tangents like Gordon Freeman being crazy, and I still remember the thing with the Jurassic Park game breaking your TV speakers. Hee-larious!

Oh man, I remember DinoPark Tycoon. It was installed on the computers at my elementary school. For a long time, I tried to scrape up enough cash for the goddamned "Vegasaurus" and ultimately ended up being hugely disappointed when I finally bought it.

This is awesome. It's incredible that you manage to release these so regularly and with such consistently high quality. I don't know how much editing goes on (if it's just inserting sound effects and jingles or actually paring the dialogue down to make it more focused) but the result is fantastic. It also helps a lot that (it seems to me) you're using high quality audio equipment for recording and not some Logitech gadget.

My favorite parts are the more original game-based tangents like Gordon Freeman being crazy, and I still remember the thing with the Jurassic Park game breaking your TV speakers. Hee-larious!

Thanks! I am also surprised we are releasing these so regularly, to be honest.

There's not much actual editing of the conversation--the goal is to just capture an hour or so of discussion. That ends up being the case most of the time, but I usually have to do a bunch of post-production work to fix stupid shit like us forgetting to turn on Nick's mic (which still sounds terrible) and, depending on how patient I am and how late it is, inserting goofy jingles here and there.

The audio equipment is pretty decent and I spent a lot more than I like to think about on it. :(

Also, that was Far Cry: Instincts on Xbox that broke my speakers!

The audio equipment is pretty decent and I spent a lot more than I like to think about on it. :(

What kind of audio equipment do you guys use to record?

Probably some microphones and a recording device like a tape recorder or a computer.

This stuff was used possibly:

idlethumbsstudio.jpg

(From the first episode's thread.)

The audio montage at the beginning of the episode was really good, must have taken a lot of work to put it together.

Great episode, good discussions (especially the Dinosaur Park thing was hilarious). And now I'm looking forward to some fresh and up-to-date episodes.

I don't get it either...

that "pop up" thing is unknown to me

I mean, it's the Steam notification. Is it a reference to ys playing GTA all the time or something?

I mean, it's the Steam notification. Is it a reference to ys playing GTA all the time or something?

Yes, and it's fucking hilarious, so you can start laughing right the fuck now. I mean, it's pointing out that ysbreaker is always playing GTA IV when I start Steam. At least he was a month ago when I made it. Maybe you had to be there, but trust me, it's objectively hilarious.

heh, I blame the rockstar social club thingy for showing me always playing GTA. Apparently steam thought I was playing GTA when that app was running. This also explains my ridiculous steam rating at that time.