Roderick

Spike VGA awards

Bonus random fact: Hoagie from DOTT and Ben from Full Throttle are brothers. I don't know if this super secret top classified fact was ever publicly unleashed, but at one point we had Tim Schafer confirming it on camera.

So, it makes sense that Eddie is part of the same family.

I am such a nerd for posting this post. :shifty::getmecoat

The Schafer singularity is near.

It's been too long since I've played them. Was that ever hinted at in-game, Marek?

So, it makes sense that Eddie is part of the same family

Continuing the nerdiness: He can't be brothers with them, though, because Eddie is not a sandwich name.

:getmecoat

Continuing the nerdiness: He can't be brothers with them, though, because Eddie is not a sandwich name.

:getmecoat

Aye! "Dad named all the kids after sandwiches."

You two are obviously both heretics for insinuating that Tim doesn't have an elaborate, airtight backstory that explains these seeming discrepancies. Additionally, Riggs and Throttle are the same last name.

Bonus random fact: Hoagie from DOTT and Ben from Full Throttle are brothers. I don't know if this super secret top classified fact was ever publicly unleashed, but at one point we had Tim Schafer confirming it on camera.

So, it makes sense that Eddie is part of the same family.

I am such a nerd for posting this post. :shifty::getmecoat

Eastern and Western USA must have split in to entirely different countries for the dystopian future of Throttle to co-exist with DOTT. Or maybe after the time of DOTT Ben was sent in to the future for unexplained reasons that more than likely kicked arse. :deranged:

Whaaa? That doesn't make a lick of sense. Full Throttle is set in a post-apocalyptic future. They're generations apart... If Ben was Hoagie's son that would make more sense -- but even then there's little family resemblance.

(I'm a geek for caring :getmecoat)

Another possible explanation: a drop of Ben's blood fell on to his magical demon motorcycle, transporting him to a parallel universe where bikers ruled the roads.

Anybody got a link to the Jack Black & Tim Schafer sequence ?

I've linked to a really ass-quality version of the introduction here, which was truly fucking awesome on pretty much every level. If anyone knows of a better recording let me know. :tup:

:tup:

a post-apocalyptic future

That's what a lot of people say but apparently that isn't true and Tim Schafer objects to Full Throttle being described as "post-apocalyptic". He explained this once in great detail. I sadly forgot all this great detail but, erm, I believe it boiled down to FT just being meant to be set in this crazy bikers microcosm, but not necessarily one that exists after some kind of nuclear war or anything. It's just... there.

I am officially outgeeking y'all, bitches. :buyme:

;(

Well, it isn't all sunshine and rainbows either. Looked like a dystopia (doesn't have to be post-apocalyptic) to me.

I think Full Throttle is set in a world ruled by Purple Tentacle.

That's what a lot of people say but apparently that isn't true and Tim Schafer objects to Full Throttle being described as "post-apocalyptic". He explained this once in great detail. I sadly forgot all this great detail but, erm, I believe it boiled down to FT just being meant to be set in this crazy bikers microcosm, but not necessarily one that exists after some kind of nuclear war or anything. It's just... there.

Really?! Weird.

Surely you can't argue with the fact that its post-apocalyptic (even if it's not meant literally). I mean, one of the songs written especially for the game ("Chitlins, Whiskey and Skirt") has the lyrics...

The population is greatly decreased.

And now the odds are greatly increased.

That i may someday get a chance,

To kiss your lips.

I thank the lo-o-ord each day,

For the apocalypse.

Folks are mostly disfigured or dead

But, sugar, i wont let it go to my head.

My mama's face has dripped down into the dirt.

But i'm still chasin' chitlins, whiskey and skirt.

It seems like the comedy geniuses that wrote that thought it was post-apocalyptic/desolate/dystopian, too.

Also... what about the flying cars? That's pretty futuristic!

I'd love to hear Tim's thinking on all this.

Sorry, but I need to know the truth about this... (Tim Schafer, how could you do this to me!)

I can't imagine Hoagie saying hi to his brother. I mean Ben is this ultra cool, mysterious dude... and then Hoagie pops along and says "Heeeey, how's my bra doing?".

Would Ben be embarrassed? Is Ben's cool just a front? ;(

Really?! Weird.

Surely you can't argue with the fact that its post-apocalyptic (even if it's not meant literally). I mean, one of the songs written especially for the game ("Chitlins, Whiskey and Skirt") has the lyrics...

It seems like the comedy geniuses that wrote that thought it was post-apocalyptic/desolate/dystopian, too.

I'd love to hear Tim's thinking on all this.

Apparently Peter McConnell liked the song and wanted it in the game, and Schafer said okay, even though he knew that it would give people the wrong idea about the setting. I think that's where the conversation started, with Marek's original email about it (Marek wrote Tim about it in some sort of fit of fanboyness, which is where the post apocalyptic info came from to begin with). Wish I could find that email, but I may have lost it.

I think it only makes sense that Tim Schafer is also related. They all look so similar.

No, but he is a hood ornament on Corley's hover-limo.

If I remember right some cars that can hover a few feet off the ground are depicted. I think the game is meant to takes place in The Future in the sense of "a few years down the road" rather than "after the apocalypse." Granted, the inclusion of Chitlins Whiskey and Skirt is confusing but evidently that was not meant to be story-related.

You can always just take the Chitlins, Whiskey, and Skirt song as a figurative depiction of what will happen soon since it appears that from the surroundings of the game the time is drawing nearer to an apocalypse, if that makes sense.

Also I think Edison's Chron-o-jon's require probably just as much technology as hovering cars, 200 years in the past during the constitutional convention aside.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

True, but he was the crack-pot inventor of them... the flying cars were common place. So bizarre to think that sandpeople cavefish and Purple Tentacle co-exist in the same universe...

I think that's where the conversation started, with Marek's original email about it (Marek wrote Tim about it in some sort of fit of fanboyness, which is where the post apocalyptic info came from to begin with).

Whoa, I would NEVER write some kind of random email purely out of fanboyism.* Erm actually I think I emailed Tim regarding the fact that I was working on a post-apocalyptic biker game for a while and everyone kept saying it was "like Full Throttle, but an MMO", which made me super annoyed and fearing that people would think I modeled the game after Full Throttle somehow, even though it was totally nothing like it in the end, and I was just being an insecure junior designer who was way too worried about how his first game would be perceived (which was then cancelled anyway). So yeah anyway, that got Tim to talk about the term post-apocalyptic and how he never used it to describe FT himself, and a bunch of other stuff. I lost the email though.

* Cough. I may have sent very embarrassing emails to people over the years. I wish I could take some of them back.

You could always email those people and ask if they could send your email back.