Sign in to follow this  
toblix

WTF IDLE THUMBS

What's up with all the recent downtime? Is it just podcast downloads (in which case, I guess you'll have that fixed soon) or does your mum pull out the power cord to the server when she's vacuuming your room?

It was NeoGaf in the intarwebs with a fatpipe.

Clue!

(or Cluedo as we say in proper countries)

I know what it is, I just don't know what the word itself means. People always get really protective about saying "Cluedo" rather than "Clue," but I know what the word "clue" means and I have no idea what a "cluedo" is.

True, but the original game (i.e. Cluedo) came from the UK. Not that it matters, obviously. In the course of my investigations* about this I discovered it came from Leeds too. How exciting.

*5 second lookup on wikipedia

More likely a pun off of the Latin word Ludo for which the game Ludo is named.....

Wikipedia made claims that Cluedo was in part derived from the Ludo boardgame, which is why the name was borrowed from it. Without that piece of info, I would go with the Latin.

Also, yeah, "Clue" is a better name.

Nein, Cluedo is surely. It has a pun.

"So we've got this elegant name, 'Clue,' what do you think?"

"No, that's boring! We need a compound word, one that leverages the synergies of our game! Let's combine that word with the name of a different game! If it doesn't imply something already existent and comforting, it might frighten people off. Cluedo. It's like Clue, but it's also like Ludo. Get it? Cluedo."

"Okay, I guess."

True, but the original game (i.e. Cluedo) came from the UK. Not that it matters, obviously. In the course of my investigations* about this I discovered it came from Leeds too. How exciting.[/size]

No I knew that after looking at the fine print in the instructions a few years ago, but the movie substantiates the name as Clue. Since it is after all, a movie based on a board game. Starring Tim Curry.

As Gabriel Knight.

Yeah but it is an American movie, so the audience would have been confused by the name "cluedo". I mean just look at Chris now, he is expressing the classic signs of fear and confusion brought on by exposure to the word. Nobody knows why it has this affect on them. It's a genuine mystery. :grin:

Yeah but it is an American movie, so the audience would have been confused by the name "cluedo". I mean just look at Chris now, he is expressing the classic signs of fear and confusion brought on by exposure to the word. Nobody knows why it has this affect on them. It's a genuine mystery. :grin:

I've explained why it has this effect on me!

Well either way, when am I getting a Monopoly movie? That one should be good.

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12/ridley-scott-passes-go-collects-200-to-direct-monopoly/

I've explained why it has this effect on me!

I think you are just rationalising what is actually a deep seated phobia :yep:

(We need a Freud head smiley)