Erkki

Trine

anybody playing this on the PS3 (I am)? Anybody played both and know how they compare?

I bought it for the PS3 a little over a week ago. I've kind of been obsessively playing Dragon Age, so I've only put in a couple hours, but it's a lot of fun. I wasn't expecting it to be as lush and gorgeous as it is. It's great!

I haven't played it on PC.

I bought it for the PS3 a little over a week ago. I've kind of been obsessively playing Dragon Age, so I've only put in a couple hours, but it's a lot of fun. I wasn't expecting it to be as lush and gorgeous as it is. It's great!

I haven't played it on PC.

What is your username on ps3? If you're down for it, I'd love to play some co-op.

Ooo! I didn't even know that was an option.

Hmm. Maybe it's not. I just assumed because I've heard of people playing it co-op, but maybe that's only local.

The PC version is $ 9.99 on Steam today only, in case anyone is interested.

This damn 5 day sale is gonna leave me homeless...

The PC version is $ 9.99 on Steam today only, in case anyone is interested.

This damn 5 day sale is gonna leave me homeless...

I have been very disciplined, much to my own surprise. This is thanks, mostly, to a complete lack of discipline in the past!

I am finally taking the plunge and getting Trine. I almost feel bad getting it at this low price point, assuming the developers are getting a lower cut as well. I can see myself getting it on PSN if I enjoy it on PC half as much as many Thumbs seem to have done themselves.

if I enjoy it on PC half as much as many Thumbs seem to have done themselves.

"Video Games are Great...Because of Trine."

So I'm done with Trine on Normal difficulty and I'm not as ecstatic as some people here.

It was a decent 6 hours mind you, but I feel like there was no progression throughout those : in the end, all levels except the first and final one could have been stringed randomly and it wouldn't affect the experience a single bit.

It's a shame that the game never uses its core mechanism in more sophisticated way than in the second level and it surely never required of me to be smarter with ordering the three characters abilities or be more dexterous at swapping between them. Meanwhile, the XP systems threw at me more and more powerful tools which made me feel like I was cheating my way through : 5 levels to the end, I could summon 4 boxes, invoke wooden floating platform and create a bunch of ledges... hence making most puzzle a breeze by stacking stuff then using the thief to swing over the pits. So no sense of achievement most of the time. Since the game takes places in a matter of days, I'd have been happier no rpg progression but more intricate situation.

The 3 characters also seemed quite unbalanced for most of my playthrough : until I found the big hammer, I incredibly underused the soldier because my leveled-up thief was as efficient as him in close combat and could evade most enemy more easily.

On the plus side, the art and music were magnificient and didn't bring my laptop to its knees for which I am very thankful. So, it wasn't so bad and it had, at least, the virtue of reminding me of all the craft that's going in the level design of Portal or Braid, games that have similarly easy-to-catch/smart gameplay but use them in more constructed and imaginative ways.

I do think there was progression in difficulty. The traps got gradually deadlier and the number of enemies increased.

Everything else you said is right, but none of that bothered me.

Finally picked this game up when I saw it on Impulse for $10.

Wow, this is really fun! :tup: It's got a bit of that Portal magic - I'm actually trying to solve puzzles with a set of tools. It really feels like anything is possible within the rules of the game and I'm not being strung along by the developer ("and here the player will make two boxes followed by swapping to the rogue to use the grappling hook"). It's quite a bit easier than Portal, puzzle-wise, and the writing is nowhere near as charming.

Also, I don't really get all the hate for the final level. If anyone could explain why they didn't like it, I'd love to hear it. I personally found

the timer mechanic with the lava forced me to think quickly and I didn't feel like the game was cheating at any time. The king summoning objects like my mage made me think "cool" the first time I saw it.

Yeah, from what I've gathered I suck at games way worse then Remo most of the time, but I did that level after a couple of goes. It was really short!

So I thought the last level was so hard because my wizard couldnt cast any magic, and that was what made it tough.

Turns out I just had a bug, goddamnit.

FINALLY getting around to playing Trine after all this time. I think I'm just past the point where the thi4f learns to use fire arrows...

I gotta say, the one thing I wasn't expecting going into this based on the Thumbs community banter was the whole "storybook" vibe; It's pretty sweet! Not sure how I was expecting the tale to be delivered exactly, but the tone meshes really well with the art direction.

I do wish the narration would carry over from the map screen, though. The game takes almost no time at all to load a level, and just looking at the overworld map while this fantastical tale is being yarned feels a bit off. Audio-wise the narration carrying over into the beginning of a level would tread on what the heroes have to say early on and there'd be other timing issues with impatient players to work out as well, but looking at one of the lush new environments would boost the tone even more than the hand painted map.