Spaff

Plain Sight

i started up a game... see if you can join it.... :)

ther eis no in-game chat yet, if my pc can handle it ill try and hose a voice server thing too maybe

The lag is absolutely incredible; it's practically impossible to make kills compared to the LAN at the EG Expo.

Edited by Nachimir

I clicked "Join game" and it crashed...

2nd it worked... Found the Lagtest. Joined it. Go to a weird dark screen where I didn't have a clue what was going on. Click the LMB and got plonked on a map with ysbreaker :tup:

Then it suddenly pulled me back to the main menu. I could still here the map (I think) so I tried to press ESC to see if it would take me back to the game... but instead it "logged me out". When I tried to log back in I got the message "Unable to connect to the Master Server".

someone else try hosting one, its raping my internets and probably you all have a shitt yping...

First thoughts:

Needs a Player X killed Player Y prompt. Possibly part of a larger issue of not being sure how I die sometimes.

The game feels very fast paced, to the point where I'm not entirely sure how much of my kills are luck, which are skill, and which are lag-based.

The shield feels weird since most of the game seems to be about aerial dodging. Is there no way to break through the shield? Were you envisioning people with banked points shielding themselves, waiting for someone to try attacking them, then exploding or something?

I'll try hosting an American server and see if lag really is a big issue.

Edit:

I somehow started a life with green color and no idea how I got it.

Does exploding without killing anyone in the explosion give you no points whatsoever?

The platforming engine is very solid, so I think this is probably a case of network problems.

Edited by Noyb

I think there might be something a bit wrong with the netcode (How's that for a bug report, eh? :P); it's easier to make kills playing instagib on dialup.

I can hit attack and pile straight into a player 6, 7 times without getting the kill. I'm also getting random deaths when there appear to be no players or attack trails near me.

Yeah same problem here. I die when no-one is oncreen. The only way I can make kills is by spamming attack when I'm on-top of a stationary player.

Also the scoreboard told me that the only player with any points was spaff, ir the server I guess.

Still, I think I'm getting better at maneouvering.

Thanks everyone who came along! It was a fun session, sadly plagued with a few crashes and some lag for a few people.

'll find out from eljay etc how they want to gather feedback, probably an email or something is gonna be easiest, but some general comments in here will be interesting too...

have fun? :)

(image attached proves pwnage.)

post-8-13375603043398_thumb.jpg

I get the feeling that there is a massive advantage in being the server...

some feature notes before i forget em :)

- score board should display in order of winner -> loser

- needs in-game chat and notification x kills y, Z has joined the game etc

- bring up score board with tab plz

power ups and objectives and things are gonna make it even more fun, I look forward to that :)

the net code is scary, hosting a game turned my internet into 1996, should probably consider getting some dedicated servers ....

Also the scoreboard told me that the only player with any points was spaff, ir the server I guess.

Likewise. It was suddenly much much easier to make kills when hosting, i.e. I could go into a tangle of players and massacre them all; with three players ended up with 44 v 0 v 0 within the first few minutes.

Not hosting, there would often be tangles of three or four players like the trails in the attached screenshot (Hard to tell, but they're all concentrated on the same spot), with everyone spamming attack and noone getting kills.

Hosting or not, I also often see attack trails going past me to where I'm not heading and haven't been, even when I'm not jumping and just running along the ground. Animations and movement of other bots also very jerky.

I can't tell if this is largely down to my connection. It might be, as I'm on Virgin Media and sometimes they're total ass, but the score disparities seemed to be similar in all the games I joined or hosted but never favour the same player.

Still, good fun though, and it runs very smoothly on my desktop PC (Athon XP 3000+, 2GB RAM, and a Geforce 6600, which are notoriously unstable with everything and currently dropping off the bottom of the absolute minimum spec listed for new PC games). Can't wait to see later versions.

post-461-13375603043676_thumb.jpg

Couldn't make it, unfortunately, since I had some emergency things to do (dad in hospital), but look forward to the next round!

I want to play this eventually. I'm on vacation now so I should be able to attend if a session happens in the near future. The new build seems to have fixed the problem I was having with Upside Town. Video games.

Anyone up for a christmas play session this week?

... between all the present buying and face stuffing and hangovers anyways :)

Certainly. I'm rammed all day tomorrow, but have plenty of room for monging and playing Plain Sight from Christmas Eve on.

Hey, with the newest build, I can actually play the game! Just took a tool around for a bit, see the sights. Man, this is a beautiful game. Upside Town is brilliantly designed. I absolutely love the style of it. Can't wait for the next North American game so I can get in and see how it runs for real.