Chris

Idle Thumbs 8: Green Lantern is the Blindfolded Fool

This podcast was actually our second take. We tried on Tuesday and totally failed to produce anything amusing or interesting. Hopefully this attempt is better.

"Idle Thumbs U.S. returns from vacation fists a'swingin, battering you senseless with tales of lives reconsidered (and rewound), friends (lists) lost, and having to sit and watch someone else really suck (at your favorite game)."

Games discussed: Brothers in Arms (iPhone), Fieldrunners, Tony Hawk 10, Mortal Kombat vs. D.C. Universe, Braid, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Grand Theft Auto IV PC... Fallout 3

iTunes

RSS

http://www.idlethumbs.net/

Still listening to the 'cast, but just wanted to say it shows great dedication to do a complete do-over when you weren't happy with the first attempt. Well done! :tup:

also: Vigi

Just want to restate how much I love you are staying around an hour in length.

Yes, awesome.

Also, note the number of items of praise in each podcast's thread:

Idle Thumbs 1: Let the Games Begin: 10 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 2: The Fanboy's Lament: 10 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 3: Field of Dreams: 6 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 4: The Fable of Love: 5 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 5: The Wizard: 8 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 6: Explode Mode: 5 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 7: Stop Doing Interviews: 6 items of praise

And see what patterns emerge when I cross-reference these statistics with various other sources of information:

Idle Thumbs 1: Let the Games Begin: 10 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 2: The Fanboy's Lament (1 Peter Molyneux impression): 10 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 3: Field of Dreams: 6 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 4: The Fable of Love: 5 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 5: The Wizard: 8 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 6: Explode Mode: 5 items of praise

Idle Thumbs 7: Stop Doing Interviews: 6 items of praise

I think those numbers speak for themselves...

Indeed they do, but I still made a pie chart.

However I was still hungry, so I ate it.

Just wanna say I'm about 10 minutes in right now and I'm having physical pain from laughter. :tup:

Or: :tdown: ? Ow...

And see what patterns emerge when I cross-reference these statistics with various other sources of information:

What if we plot this on a graph and extrapolate the curve as much as we can? Then what pattern emerges?

Well looking at the data we have so far:

Week - Praise

1 - 10

2 - 10

3 - 6

4 - 5

5 - 8

6 - 5

7 - 6

Plotting that with weeks on the X axis and praise on the Y looks like this:

xx-----

-------

----x--

-------

--x---x

---x-x-

-------

Starting at a peak of 10 the values curve down to a trough of 5 at week 4. Week 5 shows a spike in praise before returning to it's otherwise sinusoidal pattern with weeks 6 and 7 mirroring weeks 4 and 3 respectively. Assuming this trend continues, weeks 8 and 9 should mirror weeks 2 and 1 with praise quotients of 10 each.

Plotting this gives:

xx-----xx

---------

----x----

---------

--x---x--

---x-x---

---------

Clearly a smiley face is forming. I do not know what this means for sure, but it must mean something.

Hahah oh man the friend phone network. I was stuck in Monkey Island 1 for probably a month until a friend called and he was like "DUDE YOU HAVE TO USE THE MAGNET". And then I was like "whoaaaaa oh man!!! OK if you'll excuse me, I need make some calls" That was so win

Edited by Marek

You can add another to the list:

http://www.eightbitcock.com

:fart:

Fantastic episode guys

Haha brilliant.

What would make it even better is some vaguely suggestive pixel art (no more than 10 pixels needed), stretched out to full screen.

Haha brilliant.

What would make it even better is some vaguely suggestive pixel art (no more than 10 pixels needed), stretched out to full screen.

I actually have been trying to find a person who could do something like this in 8bit style since I decided to buy the domain earlier today.

For those who are interested, here's the podcast thread on GAF that's been around since the first episode, where you can read such excellent feedback as:

Ok, eightbitcock.com sold me. Downloading to my iphone as I type this.

So yeah, pancake humper, rest assured your domain is totally making an impact! :tup:

benchguys.org was also one domain pointing to idlethumbs (couldn't be arsed to registering at neogaf so replying here)

I'm posting while I'm listening, so there might be multiple post :

I think some people were expecting more gunfights from Mirror's Edge, not because it's a Video game but because it's from DICE which, despite having made some racing games, are mainly known from Battlefield series... it's not as a far fetch assumption as what you're making it sound.

Great one! :tup:

Loved the song and the therapy session bout your childhood's gaming privation, which I understand oh so well.

The bit comparing the replay mechanisms of Braid and Sands of Time was also excellent.

oh.. that could work too... I was thinking about a play on "custer's revenge"