Sign in to follow this  
syntheticgerbil

Rosy Rupee Land

So I got back from a Paris vacation, holding a copy of Tingle's Rosy Rupee Land from one of the Virgin stores that I only paid 9,99 Euros for, which was boasting on the package that it is FIVE LANGUAGES IN ONE, filling me with glee to come home with such a steal from an already expensive ass vacation.

I open the package only to find that the manual only has FOUR LANGUAGES IN ONE, none of which are English. God damn my completist OCD and curse this game!

Same sort of story here, albeit less fucked-in-the-ass-y. I saw Rosy Rupee Land being offered in Germany for only 15 Euros and wanted to buy it before I remembered that those bastards translate everything and generally don't offer English.

I really want to play the game again; all I had was a five-hour playthrough for a review I did years ago and that's not enough. It's such a weird, delicious little treat.

Well I can still play the game, but I'm a stickler for having a complete manual to every game I own. That and the game seems a tad complicated, so I may just wait until someone on Ebay.co.uk posts an instruction manual only type of buy, but it doesn't seem to be that common to do that in the UK as it does on Ebay US.

Just seems sort of silly for them to offer five languages in the game, but only four in the instruction manual.

But I did get away from France with an Oggy and the Cockroaches DVD set as well as the Tex Avery boxset, so not all was lost.

Here's a neat little update...

I decided to contact Nintendo.co.uk for one of their English manuals after scouring Ebay.co.uk for a bit, and they sent me this:

Dear Sean, thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry but I do not think that I can help you here. I do not have any copies of the instructions. I can order them for you but this is going to take some time to get here and then they will need to be forwarded to you. If you would like me to do this please let me have an address that you are likely to be at in about 6 weeks time.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

So, I think they are going to send me a free manual in English! Right?! That's what it sounds like, doesn't it? If so, thanks Nintendo UK!

now they can send in the swat team and work you over for buying a game in a different country

Well where else am I going to get my favorite closet gay video game character in the US if Amazon UK refuses to ship anything video game related to me?

I like how idle thumbs is the 2nd result for "Rosy Rupee Land" on google

Grats. I was actually really interested in this game for reasons which are still unclear even to me. Is it actually any good?

I enjoyed it, it is kind of a Zelda 'lite'. There is the overworld, the dungeons, the rupees .. And the story is pretty funny about a thirty four year old guy who has to do something with his life, and decides to go around just collecting rupees.

But I found it became quite frustrating. For everything you do, you need rupees. People won't talk to you if you don't give them rupees, and this isn't a fixed amount, everytime you have to guess how much to give to them. If you give too low, bummer, give again. If you give too much, you lost that money too.

And rupees are also your lifebar. If you run out of rupees, you are dead. And you also need them to advance in the game. You have to fund a tower to get higher into heaven (or something like that) and that needs a whole lot of rupees. So I just stopped playing after a while, as this system became too much of a chore.

But it has a few nice ideas. To fight, you need a companion (who you have to pay, of course) and there are a few choices (big and strong but expensive, or small and weak and cheap). The parody elements of Zelda also are quite funny (Tingle has his own 'puzzle solved' jingle).

But ultimately, it is a nice little game and good to pick up at a low price, but nothing to get really invested in.

That rupee idea is actually kind of nice, although it does sound like a bit of a chore. It's almost like the game has A Message... :violin: