Marek

Idle Thumbs UK Episode 1: Fireside Chat

There's a new episode!

fireside.jpg

"Idle Thumbs U.S. is taking the week off. In their stead, enjoy the debut episode of Idle Thumbs U.K.

Marek Bronstring and James Spafford set up their mobile studio next to a hearth to discuss user creativity in Little Big Planet, exploration in open world games, achievement whoring, and more. Also listen to find out which game plays like browsing a wine rack in a supermarket."

Games discussed: Little Big Planet, Far Cry 2, Fable 2, Grand Theft Auto IV, Leisure Suit Larry 7 scratch-and-sniff

Feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/idlethumbs-uk

Direct MP3 link: http://www.idlethumbs.net/podcast_uk/idlethumbs_firesidechat.mp3

The volume was a bit off, the ice cubes were louder than the voices.

I think this concept works better with 3 or 4 people.

I agree, but I did enjoy listening to the podcast (to make me listen for an hour is an achievement), and the end was hilarious!

Some disagreement exists between me and Spaff on the ideal number of people. Personally I think 3 people gives the best kind of dynamic but I also like to experiment.

Oh, and thanks! :)

P.S. I forgot to say, I wasn't just being facetious on the podcast about this stuff being hard. :) It seems easy to just chat about games and record it but in the back of your mind you're constantly wondering if what you're saying is at all interesting. So it's always nice to see when people listened to it and left a comment!

Nice job, kept my interest all the way through. Spaff, what was you level called in LBP? If it's still in there, I'd like to give it a play.

Also, with regard to the ideal number of people for a 'cast, if Yufster was there anyway, presumably playing with the cat in the background, why didn't she get involved? Even as a special guest for 10 minutes or so, to get a feel for how 3 people would work out? You've never struck me as the shy type, Yufster. What's the deal?

I agree. I enjoyed you two discussing games, very interesting, reasoned and insightful. Just would have been nice to hear from Yufster too if she was there anyway.

Beyond that, I have no opinion on the ideal number of people. You two clearly know what you're on about, have actual experience of doing this stuff and can talk about games in a well-rounded manner. What more should the listener expect or require..?

You do realise you've set the precedent for cat farts though, right? If I don't get at least one blast of feline flatulence per show from now on, I will be HUGELY DISAPPOINTED.

You two clearly know what you're on about, have actual experience of doing this stuff and can talk about games in a well-rounded manner. What more should the listener expect or require..?

Aye :tup: This is precisely why I like the other podcast I keep linking to, and sounds like I should try this one, too :tup:

I think with three people you might get a better Synergy going on, because it occasionally becomes too much like two people agreeing on everything. Which is nice, but sometimes you just need a little bit of discord, or Yufster saying something inappropriate about Molyneux.

:molyneuxcrown:

The singing children is win though, you MUST have them do more. Maybe the british intro theme? I don't care how much effort it takes!

This post is brought to you by Synergy.

An observation: the US podcast usually sounds like there are at least six people disagreeing with each other and having mad enjoyment. I think one extra Yufster would achieve much the same.

He grew into it.

Anyway I have cripplingly low self esteem, hate the sound of my own voice and additionally have nothing interesting to say. Unless you want a special segment on all the info and gossip I've gathered on various game designers that I like to stalk.

Personally I think 3 people gives the best kind of dynamic but I also like to experiment.

Aside from making me giggle childishly, I also agree with the above. I think 3 is probably a good number, but how the group interacts depends on other factors too so experimentation is good.

Beyond that I don't know what else to add to what's already been said. You guys know what you're talking about and are consistently interesting. Of course you're also consistently upstaged by little girls so, y'know, there's room for improvement :mock:

Unless you want a special segment on all the info and gossip I've gathered on various game designers that I like to stalk.

Yes. God yes.

Unless you want a special segment on all the info and gossip I've gathered on various game designers that I like to stalk.

:tup:

Dudes, sometimes it's better not to know things. Trust me on this one! However, I agree that Yufster should join the podcast sometime. :tup:

Signor: I'm just saying, threesomes are great. Anything less seems like a step down.

There is nothing about Molyneux that isn't worth knowing.

Think about that statement, then think about what my contribution to the podcast might be like.

I'm sure we started with the intent of making Rusalka er i mean Yufster join in, but then got sidetracked, doh!

I agree she should join in more, and we have more brits willing to join, if only half of those fuckers hadnt moved to london :tdown:

thanks for feedback dudes

:)

P.S. I forgot to say, I wasn't just being facetious on the podcast about this stuff being hard. :) It seems easy to just chat about games and record it but in the back of your mind you're constantly wondering if what you're saying is at all interesting. So it's always nice to see when people listened to it and left a comment!

I pretty much worry about this constantly in relation to work. I have to meet a lot of games people, won't remember many of them, and find it's possible to fill my head with too much stuff and not be able to cover anything at a good level of detail :tmeh:

I kind of admire that you guys can talk about video games for a whole hour without it petering out.

Anyone who does anything in the journalism sector knows it isn't easy at all to write something good or say something good. And podcasts will have the added pressure of having to perform on the spot.

On the other hand, once you've got a good conversation going with the other people on the show, there should also be some magical flow happening when you get in the zone. At least, that's what I would think.

If this is going to be a regular occurrence are you able to get this on iTunes as well? I hate manually downloading stuff, then manually adding it and then manually transferring it to my iPod.

You can get it on iTunes by going to Advanced > Subscribe to Podcast > and then pasting the RSS URL into it.

But we'll get an iTunes button as well. :)