Salka

Intro Sequences in Games

day of the tentacle has the best intro sequence. all this tentacle-ruling-the-world-stuff is really insane-insane-insane, which is really coolcoolcool. i think i loved the intro to lands of lore 2 too. but i don't know exactly, because that was a long time ago.

but all the ea sports-games i know have pretty bad intros.

and the intro to baldur's gate 2 is pretty average too, but then...uhhhmmm

[edit]

because i'm reading "the monkeys are listening" right now. cmi-intro: awesome! i still remember, when i played the monkeys are listening-sound around five minutes long during programming. that was cool. yes.

Guest James

bs1 was good with the black screen. morrowind was excellent, seemlessly a tutorial, introduction and narrative link.

I agree about the Morrowind intro, it's done very well.

My personal fav is the intro to Zelda: OoT, mainly because I was amazed at the visuals and that Zelda was finally in 3D. Also, it was funny and gave the game a lot of charm and character.

Hello again people!

MI2's intro was genius with the technology available to them at the time... CmI's was astounding which made EMI's straight cut to credits just that bit dissapointing.

I quite like the beginning to Baldur's Gate 2 as it sets the tone of the game and gives you a really good idea of Irenicus' character. Very chilling.

I second the Zelda OoT remark, I especially liked the title screen(link riding epona). It was an excellent mood setter for the game.

I'm rather fond of Fallout 2's. Nothing spectacular. It's a completely functional intro. A good example of exposition done right. Besides, you just gotta love the Pip Boy... or whatever his name is. Wish I could remember Fallout's.

Thinking about it, Monkey Island 2 was pretty straightforward, but just so effective. I remember being pretty excited with the credits rolling and the new rendition of the theme playing out in MIDI to a montage of 'piratey' stuff, then fading into the lovely campfire music as we see Guybrush on the beach. It does its job very well.

LucasArts intros got more and more cinematic really - look at Indy Atlantis through to Grim Fandango, all have very strong cinematic stuff going on. Of those, I think I like Sam & Max's best. For sheer comedy and setting up the characters/situation, it's a wonderful start to the game. Again, LucasArts' credits/montage idea is very effective, a series of funny drawings of Sam & Max at work, busting punks, before we reach their office to dispose of the ticking mad scientist head/bomb. Classic.

Sonic CD intro was pretty good

and much as the game sucked, the intro to Sonic Adventure was a good watch too

And who can forget the Syndicte opening cut scene? That was great opening to one of the best games of all time.

Off topic, Syndicate had the coolest music ever.

Yeah, considering all of the limitations of the floppy medium it really did have excellent music.

Most of the LucasArts classic adventures had damn fine intro sequences (and were dame fine after the intro sequences too).

Indeed. I can't think of a bad one. Even the oldest had good intros. For me the highest honors go to DOTT, Full Throttle and Grim.

Mechwarrior 2 stands out for being the first intro that made me go LOLWTF?!!!!!!11111111111

More recently, Diablo 2. Freelancer had a fun intro too, sort of impacts on a more emotional level than the actual content of the intro suggests. That and I'm a big girl... I nearly cried whilst watching Spiderman 2, you know.

Mechwarrior 2 stands out for being the first intro that made me go LOLWTF?!!!!!!11111111111

Oh shit, how can I forget MECHWARRIOR 2!!!!

I remember playing NetMech or something for Mechwarrior 2 on the internet, and everyone sucked because low ping 1337 bastards weren't that common back then. So much fun.

The intro to Mechwarrior 2 rocked! Didn't Digital Domain do the prerendered animations? I didn't exactly react the same way goldstone did... it was more like "OMFG, F F F F F F!!!!!"

that reminds me to something else: does anybody know the video sequences in battle isle 3? they're very funny, because these are the worst sequences i've ever seen...

The "old" freelancer intro was great. In the final game they cut half of the intro, namely the whole nomads showing up and blowing up the sun.

"It's ironic that in those last moments, we were finally united as a people."

Final Fantasy VII blew my mind at the time, FFVIII was pretty good but a tad pretentious.

Erm Tekken was good as was C&C and red alert.

It wasn't good but is note worthy Mega Race

Warcraft 3 was decent, i liked diablo 2, and sungeon keeper the origional.

i am doing a project at school, and am trying to find all the video's again as market research, coz i am doing my own 3d animation. but mu vote goes to dungeon keeper, coz back in the day it had a profound affect on me