Chris

Idle Thumbs 7: Stop Doing Interviews

I'm about to fly to Canada for the Montreal International Game Summit, so we recorded early this week. Enjoy!

Plus, the UK folks have a Eurogamer Expo special up, hopefully to be followed by a regular series of podcasts.

"Special guest Steve Gaynor of 2K Marin, last seen in Idle Thumbs 3: Field of Dreams, joins us once again as we drop hot scoops about the Ensemble Studios closing, wrap up discussion of Steve's favorite game ever Fallout 3, and debate bizarre Left 4 Dead tactics. Plus: our giveaway contest is announced, and a new segment is possibly introduced."

Games discussed: Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Halo Wars, World of Goo, Illbleed

iTunes: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=293436552

RSS: http://feeds.feedburner.com/idle-thumbs

http://www.idlethumbs.net/

You guys are taking over the slot for favorite gaming podcast from Giant Bombcast since they decided to turn it into the Giant Borecast

Only half way so far, but I like the new collection of sound effects, also the level of seriousness seems to be back on par again.

Oh man, that Senior Super Douche song is the best thing on the podcast so far and ever. :tup:

On the subject of how you pronounce solder: I have never heard anyone not pronounce the L before, but looking into it (by which I mean I quickly looked at the wikipedia entry) the word comes from the Middle English word soudur so I guess I was wrong too.

Anyhow, that Illbleed trailer is awesome. It's like what I imagine people who don't know about video games imagine video game trailers to be like. As if life decided that imitating art was passe and imitated ignorant sterotypes instead just to mess with people.

To be clear, I've always pronounced it as it's written, and was unaware of the different pronunciation.

I'm as wrong as the SuperDouche! Go me.

Hmm, in British English soldered is pronounced with a soft 'L'. Same goes for Colonel (as opposed to the american pronunciation 'kernal'). I gues the L is almost imperceptable and so would dissappear easily in the American.

halfway through, good stuff. You should add Halo MMO to the list of games discussed :) I think I'm the only person on the internet that

1. liked the concept art that got posted after cancellation, and
  2. actually recognised it as early comncept art that would be unlikely to make
    it into the game; ie it was just the artists 'shooting the shit' kind of thing. So many people couldn't grasp that concept "no no if they drew it then it must have been intended for the game...". Morons :P

There were a number of screenshots posted when we (Gamasutra) broke the story, it wasn't al concept art. I'm sure they were early but a direction was clear.

Ah, I guess I missed those.

I enjoyed the rest of the episode very muchly. Oh yeah - and since the readerletter was sent from Australia, the author will in fact be enjoying his Christmas this summer - Jake was accidentally correct :D

Thanks again, gents. Another superb installment!

I was actually having a shave when Remo read out my Fallout 3 letter and just about managed not to inadvertently slit my own throat with excitement! ;(

I really enjoyed your discussion on the game design points I wrote about. I'm also glad you guys found it an interesting topic.

Need to check out my UK brethren's 'cast now, too.

Hmm, in British English soldered is pronounced with a soft 'L'. Same goes for Colonel (as opposed to the american pronunciation 'kernal'). I gues the L is almost imperceptable and so would dissappear easily in the American.

The British pronunciation for colonel is exactly the same as the American one unless you are more than 400 years old...

Solder is actually pronounced both ways in this country, but the pronounced L is far more prevalent. If you follow the etymological route further back than middle English you find the L comes back in (i.e. the latin solidare).

Video Games!

fyi, vgvgvg . com already exists, some asian company owns it. It's a shape, typing video gamesvideo gamesvideo games.com is a bit error prone

The British pronunciation for colonel is exactly the same as the American one unless you are more than 400 years old...

You again! Always there to out-pedant me! Grrr. You are my nemesis; Ultra-Pedant to my mere Super-Pedant.

I'm not saying we pronounce the 'O'; that is still silent. Just that the 'L' is slightly more discernable than in 'kernal'.

That was hilarious as always! What the hell happened at the end, though? Did Steve's chair break, wtf?

That was hilarious as always! What the hell happened at the end, though? Did Steve's chair break, wtf?

You could put it that way. I would phrase it more like "Steve broke my chair."

So I broke your chair. So goddamn what. It was a table anyway. It made for good radio.

I'll give you money for it later :getmecoat

Clearly there's some kind of subconscious "break each others shit" thing going on between all of us.

dsc002717vs.jpg

dsc002704up.gif