Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Wrath of the Lich King

So, who's gonna head for one of the many midnight launch parties? Anyone...?

I'm dressing up as an Undead apothecary. Complete with green liquid in a glass vase.

royalapothecary.jpg

,,We of the Royal Apothecary Society have concocted a new plague to fight the Lich King's forces. It has taken us many restless hours, but sleep is for the living anyway. We invite you to join us in the battle against the Scourge, and taking the fight to the very roof of the world: Northrend. Victory for Sylvanas!"

- Apothecary Zylas

The collector's edition is waiting for me at the post office but due to a... slight miscalculation regarding my finances, I don't have any money to pay for it. :(

At least you know you've got one. The situation here was pretty dismal. I managed to snag one because I dressed up, but normal reservations were mostly a no-go due to shortage.

Having said that; the expansion is breathtaking. I've made a Deathknight named Doodsknecht and it's incredibly fun to play with. It'll be a while before I set foot on Northrend, but the Deathknight might be the best thing to happen to me in gaming this year.

Well, it's cash on delivery so in two weeks it's going back to the webshop. Maybe I should put up a "Help Zaarin get his game from the evil clutches of the post office"-site and make a big Paypal button. Worked for other idiots.

The little I have seen of Northrend so far is absolutely gorgeous, Howling Fjord is full of amazing details and really feels alive. They've really outdone themselves.

I've yet to visit Northrend, but here's my Death Knight Doodsknecht, who is administering huge doses of fun into my system.

doodsknecht1.jpg

doodsknecht2.jpg

Well, I played through the Deathknight area. It was all pretty great, interesting what they're doing with multiple versions of the same area to show passage of time. Also the evolution of Burning Crusades "kill masses of people at once" mechanics, that was fun. I think I missed something at the pivotal moment though.

So Arthas tried to attack Tirion, but couldn't because of the holy ground or something. Then Tirion wounded him. And then suddenly all the Deathknights have free will and hate the Lich King and stuff. Was there some other detail there? I was expecting to be enveloped in a big ball of FX to show the change in my circumstances, or something.

It's annoying because I can't watch it again, as it were. Well, not without making another Deathknight on a different server and playing through again. Hmmm.... no no no that would be silly.

Spaff and I will be taking our level 70 Blood Elves into Northrend tomorrow, probably. Goodbye weird sci-fantasy, hello epic bleak gothic norse fantasy! I can't wait!

Edited by DanJW

I ended up making a new Blood Elf mage because it turned out my old chars were on servers that were always full. Level 10 so far... :tdown:

I ended up making a new Blood Elf mage because it turned out my old chars were on servers that were always full. Level 10 so far... :tdown:

Migrate them. It's what, $10?

The DeathKnight is pretty fun. The core mechanic seems to be a cross between Warrior and Rogue; you spend recharging runes on basic attacks, which generate runic power as a byproduct. Then you spend that runic power on more advanced spells. I'm going with the Unholy talent tree - undead minions and disease FTW.

Today I got ganked so many times in Hellfire Peninsula that I got totally fed up. We were running around there with about 100 Death Knights both Horde and Alliance, and the situation's just crazy. I'm migrating my character to a PvE realm. Don't know which one yet, but I gotta get away from people constantly trying to kill me (and succeeding) when I have no interest in that bullshit.

I'm also totally Unholy, by the way. Diseases and Ghoul pets are great! Though there was just now some weird bug where the game didn't register my Talents anymore, so suddenly I was super-nerfed and weak, and I couldn't figure out what it was. Weird.

Really? It's pretty obvious since TBC was the only way you could go to level 70 and enter Northrend in the first place =)

I'm always a bit disappointed at the lack of free playtime with a new expansion. They can take it, yesno?

You and your logic!

So, mage. I've never played this before. What are the pros and cons of each talent tree? I always mess those up.

This message brought to you by someone who's too lazy to google for hours to read up on things himself.

I played as a Mage most, so I know a bit about it. I was mainly Fire specced but used a bit of Frost too. As a rule of thumb, Fire is for the massive damage and perfect for PvE. In PvP however, Frost is apparently the way to go because it gives you much more control over the battle. Both are really valid. Arcane magic, lastly, has some of the more fun powers, but compared to the power of fire or the control of frost, I never really dared to go into it. Maybe I should for the heck of it.

One of the funnest thing in the last week by the way, was figuring out how the Death Knight class worked on my own, without the help of any guides. Just studying the talents and skills and trying to decipher what worked with what and how it all fit together. Massively rewarding when you suddenly get it.

yeah it is fun to ignore guides for sure. What spec did you opt with?

I found that with the DK i was actually playing the game as a game, enjoying the story and not just playing a guy in order to level up, which was nice :)

Northrend so far is a mixture of the two feelings....so far.....

I believe I already mentioned it; Unholy. So far it's pretty sweet. Sometimes I get jealous of the Death Knights running around with blood worms around them, but they quickly die and aren't as cool as a pet Ghoul.

I'm shooting through Outland right now, trying to reach Northrend as fast as possible =)

ah yes, sorry missed that....

I decided to check out the blood tree, even though Unholy looks the most interesting, because most people i know were doing that one, and blood looks like a good levelling spec.

eventually I'll probably look at using ice and unholy to tank.

I played as a Mage most, so I know a bit about it. I was mainly Fire specced but used a bit of Frost too. As a rule of thumb, Fire is for the massive damage and perfect for PvE. In PvP however, Frost is apparently the way to go because it gives you much more control over the battle. Both are really valid. Arcane magic, lastly, has some of the more fun powers, but compared to the power of fire or the control of frost, I never really dared to go into it. Maybe I should for the heck of it.

My mage was Arcane and topping the damage meters in Tier 5 raids just before I stopped playing. Arcane has insane damage if you know what you're doing, people are put off by the massive mana consumption but being an alchemist makes it easy to chug mana pots and having a Sorcerer's Alchemist Stone helps.

Looking at the talent trees now I'd say that fire has totally gone AoE and Arcane is still the crazy damage. I'm a huge fan of Arcane and totally proved that it rocked in raids. Why would you not want to see purple missiles going pewpewpew over fireballs or frostbolts anyway?

I've just been playing my DK now though. I will get back to my mage eventually but DK is just the mammoth's nads.

We had that exact idea in the studio where I work as well, but couldn't be bothered because we're lazy bums.

Finally made it to Northrend! And I already love what's happening here; arriving at Vengeance Landing, the old Undead quest-lines are finally picked up again. I remember starting questing to make Sylvanas' new plague some four years ago in Tirisfal Glades and Silverpine Forest... it's incredibly exciting that that work is now finally going to pay off, narratively speaking!

That's the genocidal Undead race I know and love! Let's just go and kill everything that lives, died, rose again or ever moved. Victory for Sylvanas!