Nachimir

Far Cry 2

I started Far Cry 2 and I'm about 3 or 4 hours in. I'm divided on whether to restart or to keep going. You see, I set the difficulty to Hardcore in the beginning, so that combat would be challenging. But without quicksaving available, I find that I have to repeat a lot of travelling when I die. This would be alright, but I am dying a good bit.

Should I restart the game on normal difficulty, or will I stop sucking at combat later on in the game when I unlock more weapons?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just discovered that you can change the difficulty as you please during the game. I feel like an idiot for posting this now. ;(

Edited by Freezerr

Lol, so many many great memories with FC2.  It was my first FPS game, and it shipped free with a Nvidia card and I almost didn't bother to install it.  After dozens of hours of insane adventures with FC2 I was totally up for another shooter so I bought Battlefield Bad Company 2.   I quit that game within minutes, after realizing that you couldn't just run around a big open world, explore and do whatever you wanted.  Really pissed me off. :P

Finally finished the game after playing it on and off for a better part of a year, and having fun doing sidemissions. 

Good experience, decided to throw myself straight into Far Cry 3 which, while entertaining and takes a fair bit from Far Cry 2, is an interesting contrast. 

Anyway, reading Cigol's comment above - I didn't use vehicles that much in Far Cry 2. I tried to stay off the road as best as I could - not because it was tedious (it wasn't usually) to go through the checkpoints, but to conserve ammo. Shortcuts in the jungle were usually faster too, and I did use the bus system a lot as well to get around quickly. Spent a fair bit on the rivers as well, since those battles were faster than the checkpoints (and used less ammo) so I didn't get too frustrated with respawning enemies. Don't think the lack of NPCs made it feel "empty" either and your buddies are some of my favorite NPCs. Liked the twist at the end too. 

Anyway, I thought it was great, although when I first started I could only play for 30-45 minutes at a time because I was stressing myself out. Played it on the hard difficulty with music off so no cues for upcoming fights - added a lot to the tension. The story was good too. Sometimes I wish the stealth aspects were better, but in Far Cry 3 I can literally just walk behind people and no one will see me, which is too much. 

I think the second map (more so than the first) of Far Cry 2 with its mix of roads and rivers is pretty brilliant. I wonder if any other game has something similar? Far Cry 3 goes to bigger extremes with it's world, but I think in the end it was kind of designed so that you mostly go through each wild area only once, and I didn't really get the effect of knowing the map by heart except for some main roads. Haven't played Far Cry 4.