Sign in to follow this  
toblix

How can this not be awesome?

This is playing downtown in my city. I think I may go see it today or tomorrow. I love Kaufman films but Phillip Seymour Hoffman gets on my nerves.

On the other end it might be 2 wholly inaccessible pretentious hours of Hoffman flopping around. That's pretty unlikely, but you know, just tempering things a bit.

On the other end it might be 2 wholly inaccessible pretentious hours of Hoffman flopping around. That's pretty unlikely, but you know, just tempering things a bit.

It's...

Well.

It's depressing. But good. But not fun. How do I explain this film?

Two hours of frustrating entertainment. It's a very ambitious film.

I'm really psyched. My girlfriend and I are huge fans of both Kaufman and Hoffman so we'll be checking this out as soon as it hits theaters in our city.

It's depressing. But good. But not fun. How do I explain this film?

Sounds like my kind of film. :tup:

Man I've been waiting a long time for some new Kaufman movie to do nasty things to my mind.

This might have been the most disappointing film I've seen in a long time. I was expecting wonderful things, instead I got some derailed movie similar to what Jake described earlier in the thread (whether he was serious or not) where I was checking my watch to see if it was over yet.

The only amazing thing about this movie is that somehow it stretched two hours of real time out to three and a half.

Oh well... I WAS a huge Kaufman fan, I even collected all his National Lampoon articles from Ebay, but I don't know now. I heard he was quiting screenwriting though, so we'll see.

I had a similar experience when I saw Tideland, but Gilliam's track record is too good for me to care that much, and I could at least make sense of Tideland until maybe the last 10 minutes.

Edited by syntheticgerbil

Heh, Kaufman is a genius, but it sounds like he works best with the guidance of someone like Spike Jonze or Michel Gondry.

Fun fact: I used to live damned close to Charlie Kaufman. I used to see him in Ralph's -- I really wanted to go and say "I LOVED Adaptation!", but I never got the guts to do it. Idiot that I am.

From reading many interviews with him over the years I really doubt he would have liked that as he seems sort of perpetually ornery, but it would have made a good story.

I'd like for him to make another movie after this by himself that is hopefully less purposefully(?) difficult, but since you mentioned Spike Jonze, I'd really like for someone in the industry to shine some light on whether or not Where the Wild Things Are will ever see a release. The test clips I've seen look promising, even though I hear they had problems with putting CG mouths on people in giant costumes.

Also it has a brilliant screenplay written by resident Thumbs forum member Metallus83.

Also it has a brilliant screenplay written by resident Thumbs forum member Metallus83.

Metallus is a professional screenwriter McSweeny's Dave Eggers?!?!?

Edit: I'm so confused. Please explain yourself!

Edit edit: No, Metallus is a completely different Dave Eggers.

Edited by ThunderPeel2001