miffy495

Fallout 3

Well, I just finished it.

How long is it? Do you think I'll beat it this weekend?

I just got out of that weird simulator in Vault 112

I want to beat it this weekend because my copy of LBP should arrive next week!:mock:

How long is it? Do you think I'll beat it this weekend?

I played for a week, 5-8 hours a day (you can tell this game is good, can't even remember the last game that did that to me). I think if you do nothing else and skip most of the side quests and don't go searching through every locker, you may be able to complete it. :)

I explored less than half of the world. Not sure how many of the places I didn't go to have any story content, though.

The game didn't go exactly as I planned: I wanted to avoid combat and talk my way through things, but when you want to explore a lot, you have to fight and I started liking the combat more and more. Near the end, I fought more instead of finding alternate solutions.

I think I'm going to load a save before the endgame and do some more exploring. Or maybe start a new game.

I just beat it too, if I weren't in the middle of an RPG Overload and in the mood for "blue sky games" I'd probably play more, but I guess I'll get back to it after all, you do get the best equipment near the end of the game!

Okay, so I played this for about an hour and I decided I want to buy it. Then I read about "all the problems" people have been experiencing with Securom. I have stuff like Daemon Tools and various cd burning applications installed, and naturally I'm not buying it if I have to start uninstalling stuff. Is there a list somewhere with software that will prevent a legal version of the game from installing

I have had daemon tools running while playing the game. But I have the Steam version, don't know if that has Securom as well or if it's different in any way from the physical version.

Yeah, it would be awesome to have a version without both Steam and Securom.

The Steam version is clear of DRM (other than having to be logged into Steam). As for which software it doesn't like, I've no idea, but I imagine that reports have been exaggerated.

I was expecting a day that my principles would get in the way of my playing an awesome game -- I just didn't expect it so soon.

I was expecting a day that my principles would get in the way of my playing an awesome game -- I just didn't expect it so soon.

I'm never expecting a day you don't post about this

Sorry, I'll stop.
Okay, not that it matters, but I think you are in the right. Even if you are guilty of making your account easy to highjack in the first place, you are innocent of the things Valve supposedly really wants to prevent with their banning-policy. Assuming they want to prevent cheating and piracy and aren't eager to somehow educate their consumers (in a misguided way). So they take the easy road, which serves them, hurts real culprits, but simultaneously harms some luckless innocents. Obviously it would be difficult and often controversial to decide case by case, but with their simple solution they are just morally (yeah, big word, I wanted to use it in context of the aforementioned concept that a handful of innocents suffer, even though there is a middle ground that would be manageable for valve without to much gain for the bad people but major gain for the good ones) wrong.

Sorry for the long-winded and uncalled-for post. Maybe I just wanted to show some sympathy, now that I finally use steam myself and the mere thought of getting my account banned makes me combative.

And I don't want you to stop complaining, because, as said, your complaints are justified. And funny. Most of the time.

For the record, I think toblix is justified in his frustration as well and the situation is super dumb, but there's also definitely nothing anybody here can do about it. It would be worth continuing to pester Valve about it if possible.

I agree with castorp's spoiler, even though I have nothing to say about Fallout 3.

I also think toblix complaining about anything ever is sort of this forum's trademark and should not be taken from us, the unworthy. "toblix complains"

Yeah, I'm pretty certain we're all with Toblix on this matter, although Chris does have a point and I've noticed it coming into every thread now, regardless of relevance. We've got your back man, but bringing it up in completely unrelated threads is getting a bit obsessive.

Wanted: Flour :)

If anyone still playing this accidentally finds flour somewhere, please let me know where you found it. I've been searching everywhere but no luck yet. Or maybe such items are randomly placed?

Okay, this reminds me of something I've been wondering about. There are tons of shit lying around everywhere, and I can't really tell if a given piece is going to be useful at some point or not. Is there some sort of crafting thing going on in this game, where you can scavenge weird shit and build rockets?

Yeah, workbenches allow you to build things and a lot of the seemingly useless crap that you find becomes an ingredient for said things. Not necessary for the game, but handy.

Yeah, some items are useful:

Scrap Metal, Blood Bags, Brotherhood Holotags, Sugar Bombs, Nuka Cola Quantum -- can be traded for useful items (or more caps than their apparent value) with some specific people after you've talked with them.

Turpentine, Cherry Bombs, Lunchboxes, Radscorpion Glands, Steam Gauge Assemblies, Toy Cars, Surgical Tubes, Pressure Cookers, Crutches etc. can be used to make bombs, weapons and stuff. Can't remember all of them. But generally I've found those not all that useful, I've only made a couple of weapons and don't use them all that much.

The custom weapons are mostly of the Big Gun variety. Some of them are pretty hilarious. It's always fun to take off an enemies' head by launching a toy car at them.

I wouldn't worry about stockpiling the junk though. When you decide to make something it won't take too long to find the parts - most of them are very common and the rarer ones can usually be found in a factory or something similar. The 'requested' items mentioned by Errki are often worth stashing somewhere, until you decide to make a trip to see whatever guy wants them.

What I did find out, by accident, is that if you gain multiple copies of the same schematic, the quality of the weapon you make will be better.

Finished it. I wanted to see as much of the wasteland as possible, and I think I found most of it. No doubt there are some things I missed though. I expect I will play it gain at some point, with un upgraded PC and being a very evil female vault-dweller with a penchant for big guns and explosives.

Towards the end some of the atmosphere did wear off and it became a bit of a slog. Probably this is due to being a level 20 badass with a choice of unique power-armours (offset by a stylish trilby and tortoishell glasses). Although in its favour I was in no way immune to a pounding - it was just a case of me killing them first. Once you have traversed the wasteland and DC a few times the mystique obviously thins, when compared to the sense of adventure I got when stepping out of the vault for the first time.

One excellent moment of badassary though: using VATS to shoot an enemy grenade out of the air. Booya!

Errki, I had the same thought at the end as you did

but I actually asked Fawkes to go in for me. He mumbled something about fate and destiny, the fuck :P

Jesus, this game is awesome but I can only play about 20 minutes at a time before I freak out and quit. I had just discovered the elementary school near the starting area, and after clearing it out I stepped outside into the exterior of the ruins, saw the vista of gray desolation and got filled with this horrible emptiness. Oh, by the way, about the school:

I cleared out the ants in the caverns, but didn't get further than the place where you're attacked by a bunch of ants. Then I searched some dead guys and found some loot. Was that it, or is there a way to go deeper down? I was sort of expecting a showdown with Keeng Ant or something, but there was just this ledge, which to me means that this shit goes further, but the game ends here.