miffy495

Fallout 3

I just finished Broken Steel yesterday after putting it off for a while, and now I'm just puttzing around the Wasteland, finding all the locations with the explorer perk.

I was thinking about downloading Point Lookout, I've heard good things, I'm just not sure if I should do that before Operation Anchorage or the Pitt (neither of which I've played.)

I just finished Broken Steel yesterday after putting it off for a while, and now I'm just puttzing around the Wasteland, finding all the locations with the explorer perk.

I was thinking about downloading Point Lookout, I've heard good things, I'm just not sure if I should do that before Operation Anchorage or the Pitt (neither of which I've played.)

Personally, I felt Operation Anchorage was fun (despite crits that it was too shootery) and has far and above the best loot. The Pitt was good - but, so far my least favorite of the DLC packs. I'm about 90% done with Point Lookout and I definitely like it the best.

Hmm. It looks pretty, but not particularly Fallout-y? Especially the idea of historical figures running around shooting thing...

What are the odds of all five Fallout 3 DLC packs being lumped together and sold cheaper as a general "Fallout 3 Expansion" disc for Xbox 360?

So they're all out now... Maybe I should pick one or two up?

Operation: Anchorage

The Pitt

Broken Steel

Point Lookout

Mothership Zeta

It seems "Broken Steel" and "Point Lookout" are the ones to go for, but I should only get BS once I've reached level 20 and am "nearing" the end of the game?

I am a complete Fallout 3 nut and have dumped 160 hours into my one play-through. Having gone through all the DLC, I can say this:

-Broken Steel and Point Lookout are the only ones that are not insulated mini-action games. You can "go back" to all 4 of the locales not in the wasteland but Anchorage, The Pitt, and Mothership Zeta are all very linear questlines that should probably be done in one go.

-The first two are the worst. I appreciate the loot in Anchorage and Pitt but they are pretty simplistic and really only offer different scenery.

-Each one has a dramatically different color palette. I think it's amazing how beautiful this game looks. The Pitt is all read and rusty, Anchorage is cool blue and white, Mothership is tarnished silver and grey, Lookout is gorgeous yellow and orange. It's really great how different every environment looks yet they still all fit that Fallout mold.

As far as when to play, Anchorage and Pitt are playable before you hit level 20 but after that I wouldn't recommend it. The yokels in Point Lookout can be TOUGH, the alien weaponry shoots FAST, and Broken Steel's stuff is all about levels 20-30.

All in all I think I put about 20 hours into the DLC, which I'd feel justified in if I bought a separate game for 50 bucks and enjoyed it as much as I did with these. If you factor the 140 I gave the original game, a hundred bucks is not a bad value for the time and enjoyment I've had with it. Granted, if you think I'm crazy for spending so much time with it, the DLC may not be different or more enough for you.

I've not gotten any of the DLC yet because I'd need to replay the game (deleted my saves) and haven't found a time to put those kind of hours into it. Already spent probably 60-80 on it when it came out. Seems like I might eventually get Point Lookout and Broken Steel though. Was one of those the one that rewrites the ending?

Xbox Live's Deal of the Week is for Fallout 3 add-ons, 50% off!

So that means more endless questions about "which DLC should I buy?"

I rescued Liam Neeson, powered through the main plot ignoring the side quests, beat the game, and haven't picked up Fallout 3 since. I feel guilty about this, and was thinking about getting one or two of the add-ons to get me back into the game.

Reading this thread, I'm leaning towards Broken Steel and Point Lookout; they seem the most "Fallout-y" to me from their descriptions.

Do I understand these add-ons correctly?

• Operation: Anchorage - VR Missions
  • The Pitt - Um, I don't know.
  • Broken Steel - More Fallout.
  • Point Lookout - Scary guys.
  • Mothership Zeta - Aliens.

PS: I'm only level 15.

Broken Steel was easily my least favorite, the enemies were just kinda cheap. Point Lookout was probably my favorite content in any of Fallout 3.

My order for someone to buy would be:

Point Lookout

Broken Steel

The Pitt (amazing atmosphere, it's just great going around the world, but the gameplay lacks a little)

Operation Anchorage

Mothership Zeta

I'd say that Broken Steel is practically required, if only because it raises the level cap and introduces a lot of different enemies throughout the game. Besides that, I finished Operation Anchorage and I'm about halfway through Mothership Zeta. I'm not really a great judge of these things, considering I practically enjoy any piece of Fallout 3 content... but I would say that everything I have played through at this point are well worth the cash.

Anchorage and point lookout were the best. I haven't played Zeta yet because it's not sold in retail, and the GOTY version is still too expensive.

I have only played Anchorage (have the GOTY edition but not gotten around to the others) but fwiw I liked it pretty well, though I guess if I had to buy them individually I would have done all the sidequests in the main game before buying any DLC.

I would have done all the sidequests in the main game before buying any DLC.

Good point, Moelman. The reason I completed so few sidequests is because the plot picks up so much urgency once you find your father. There is a lot of "We must go to the so-and-so right now!" I'm sure it's easy enough to ignore Liam Neeson and come back when you feel like it, but I felt it would be improper to do so.

Good point, Moelman. The reason I completed so few sidequests is because the plot picks up so much urgency once you find your father. There is a lot of "We must go to the so-and-so right now!" I'm sure it's easy enough to ignore Liam Neeson and come back when you feel like it, but I felt it would be improper to do so.
Yeah the same thing happened to me. I beat the game in less than 20 hours because I was so into the main quest and thought the same as you, that it would seem weird to just go off doing random quests while I need to be doing this super important thing. But then afterwards I loaded an old save to go back and do a ton of sidequests I missed. Aside from the 4 DLCs I haven't done yet I probably have a ton left still.

I'm sort of considering revoking my recommendation of Mothership Zeta if only because the game has frozen up three times on me during the length of the mini-campaign. Fallout 3 is by no means a flawless game free of bugs, but it seems like an odd coincidence that more than half of the total freezes I've gotten while playing the game came while playing Zeta.

Also, an interesting occurrence, I apparently just hit the Mysterious Stranger about five times during a VATS sequence before he even appeared.

Edited by JonCole

Xbox Live's Deal of the Week is for Fallout 3 add-ons, 50% off!

So that means more endless questions about "which DLC should I buy?"

I rescued Liam Neeson, powered through the main plot ignoring the side quests, beat the game, and haven't picked up Fallout 3 since. I feel guilty about this, and was thinking about getting one or two of the add-ons to get me back into the game.

Reading this thread, I'm leaning towards Broken Steel and Point Lookout; they seem the most "Fallout-y" to me from their descriptions.

Do I understand these add-ons correctly?

• Operation: Anchorage - VR Missions
  • The Pitt - Um, I don't know.
  • Broken Steel - More Fallout.
  • Point Lookout - Scary guys.
  • Mothership Zeta - Aliens.

PS: I'm only level 15.

If you've finished the game you'll need Broken Steel to revive your character - but I don't think that it forces you straight into the BS questline from the get go (been ages since I played it). This gives you chance to mop up a lot of the extra content in the original game that you might have bypassed.

Once you've done that (or as much of that as you want) and gone through Broken Steel I'd agree with the majority of people - Point Lookout is the best of the bunch. Its got a range of missions. I'd rate Pitt higher than the others - it's got a much grimier, industrial feel that makes a change from the deserts of the capitol wasteland but is still very much Fallout. I'd say these three are definitely worth a punt at 50% off.

Anchorage is probably next (it's fun but pretty straightforward and linear). Zeta is way too un-Fallout-y - it feels like a mediocre sci-fi FPS.

The Pitt is pretty damn short and shallow, if you ask me. And I really made the mistake of waiting until I finished practically everything first to play it... I rip through each of the quests in minutes. If you play the Pitt, I'd recommend trying it around level 20, perhaps.

I bought Broken Steel last night and loaded up my last save from seconds before the end of the game. After the "two weeks later" message, one of the old dudes said:

"Thank goodness you survived that thing that should have killed you. You saved the Wasteland! Now we just have to fight the remaining Enclave members. Can you assist us?"

> Sure, I'll help.

"Great! Why don't you ask me what needs to be done?"

> Gotta go.

Then Fawkes and I left to go complete some sidequests.

I think I'll get one or two of the other add-ons before the sale ends. Thanks for the advice!

Well, I just finished The Pitt and I must say that I feel a bit underwhelmed. Thus far, Mothership Zeta and The Pitt are my least favorites, though I think I'd take Zeta over Pitt simply because Zeta offers much better loot and a much longer campaign length. The Pitt's strongest aspect is the flavor of the environments and major characters, but that's not nearly enough for me to ignore the easily forgettable loot and incredibly short main quest.

On a lighter note, I love Fallout 3 and Nuka-Cola:

s640x480

Guy stickered up an old vending machine and made Quantum with aqua LED. Either way, looks totally rad.

I was re-listening to the conf grenade and Steve was talking about a German town in Fallout 3. Where was it? I think I missed it completely.

The Germantown Police HQ. It's a hideout filled with super mutants and various gory bits of people. If you find Big Town, you can get a quest to stop super mutant attacks originating from Germantown.

Can't believe I'm still playing this... Ok, so I took a long hiatus, but I feel like I'm so far behind everyone else. Really enjoying it, though. Think I might go for all the achievements, in fact.

I've put in 45 hours(!) so far -- really can't believe I'd bother to do that for any game these days, I really must be enjoying it.

Mr Liam Neeson just died - I wish there was a mod just to turn him into Liam Neeson in the game, instead of referring to him as "Dad" - that would awesome. I've just made way into the Citadel.

I'm trying to do as many side-quests as I can find. The main storyline is pretty dull and unexciting, but the whole atmosphere of the game world is quite addictive... although it's getting much less scarier now I'm level 15... and I remember hearing how easy it gets when you hit level 20.

Still, very much enjoying it :tup:

Can I ask: For those who bothered to explore every location, what was your final hourage? I've seen elsewhere that 50 hours is about average, but someone in this thread managed 140(!). I'd like to get a rough idea how much longer I'll be playing....

Mr Liam Neeson just died - I wish there was a mod just to turn him into Liam Neeson in the game, instead of referring to him as "Dad" - that would awesome. I've just made way into the Citadel.

bahahaha!

If you actually tried to go to EVERY location (there are probably at least 200) then it would easily take you over 100 hours, especially if this is your first playthrough.

If you want it to start getting a little scary again get Point Lookout. The enemies are real tough (especially when the enemies from Broken Steel are added in) and real fucking weird. The its main story arc is actually really good and way better than the main game's story. Point Lookout is easily my favorite content in Fallout 3 and is in my opinion the #1 DLC to get (Broken Steel, besides the level cap increase which doesn't really even add that much, is just really damned irritatingly cheap with its new enemies).

If you actually tried to go to EVERY location (there are probably at least 200) then it would easily take you over 100 hours, especially if this is your first playthrough.

Damn :eek: And everyone complained that the game was "too short"? Whaa?

Anyone else got a different estimate? :)