miffy495

Fallout 3

Weee... finished the main story... and thereby the game :/

Why can't I continue...

Because you are dead and you can't come back as a ghoul because the radiation melted you into a puddle because everyone knows that's what massive radiation does to you!!!!111

Maybe. Anyway yeah that was perhaps the most common complaint about the endgame.

Ending spoilers:

Because your character suddenly forgot about the 50+ Rad-X and Rad-Aways you had stockpiled to that point. And didn't feel like ordering the radiation-proof Fawkes into the final chamber in your stead. Seriously, are there any Video game sacrifices that don't feel horribly contrived? Even the father's was contrived, since at that point the Enclave didn't pose any danger to me or my followers.

You can ask Fawkes to go in for you. He just mumbles some anachronistic bullshit about it being your destiny and not his ie he is actually a big fucking coward and/or a sadistic bastard.

actually I also had the other ending

When you don't enter the code in time, the stuff just explodes and you are really dead.

This wasn't actually my intention... stupid phone calls.

But still, the story was crafted for the game to stop. They could also have changed the story so you could continue.

Also funny to see how the differences in ending are dependent on the very last action you take. Just like in Deus Ex and in quite some other games.

looking back, it's a real shame that pretty much all quest in fallout are so short and simple.

Ok, now I've pretty much completed the whole game. I've done all achievement thingies. And also quite a number of unmarked quests. The only thing left is kill everybody, visit every place, and collect every inventory item.

There are really a shit load of uninteresting places in the game. For example all those transmitter towers. There's absolutely no use for them. Or the white house, absolutely not interesting. There are some locations which are not even on the map, but they of interest. Like rockopolis (has a bobblehead).

The mutant behemoths are also unimpressive. Pretty much every one of them can easily be killed without receiving any damage. The deathclaws are more dangerous.

Anyone try out the Pitt DLC yet? There are still no reviews on metacritic and I'm hesitant to shell out another 10 bucks sight unseen.

You can buy it with real money? Because I'm not interested in wasting money on MS points.

Apparently it's buggy as hell and will be (or has been) taken down until Bethesda fix it.

dsc00100zpi.jpg

dsc00097tbw.jpg

dsc00098n.jpg

I'm glad I'm waiting for Broken Steel so that I can play all three packs at once and level up during the process. I'd be gutted if I had downloaded that today.

Sorry if I got your hopes up; I think you can still only buy it with the MS money equivalent.

MS points is not equivalent to money. It's equivalent to gift certificates.

MS points is not equivalent to money. It's equivalent to gift certificates.

Is this anything beyond a game of semantics?

I was so excited I downloaded the damn thing as soon as it was available, cleared my schedule, had a fat spliff and then proceeded to have my mind blown just as I thought....but in a horrible nightmare bad trip kinda way.

The whole thing is utterly bizarre, because it starts out fine enough, but then you slowly start seeing flying smokestacks and barrels, then raiders with glowing eyes, and then those triangles, and then after the bridge, crash and doom.

I just hope it gets re-uploaded sometime soon. Balls.

Is this anything beyond a game of semantics?

You can spend money everywhere. You can only spend MS points in a MS store. You can exchange money to MS points, but not MS points to money. I can give money to somebody else. I can not give MS points to somebody else. I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a expiration date on MS points.

MS points can only be bought in batches of 500 or 1000. But hardly anything costs a multitude of that. For example, a lot of things cost 800 points.

Isn't there even an achievement for managing to spend all your MS points? Or was that just a joke?

You can spend money everywhere. You can only spend MS points in a MS store. You can exchange money to MS points, but not MS points to money. I can give money to somebody else. I can not give MS points to somebody else. I wouldn't be surprised if there's even a expiration date on MS points.

MS points can only be bought in batches of 500 or 1000. But hardly anything costs a multitude of that. For example, a lot of things cost 800 points.

Fair enough. It is definitely frustrating that your download options are limited to multiples of 500, when there's absolutely no reason why it needs to be limited that way (except to get the consumer to spend more than he normally would).

Games retailers try to do the same thing by pricing games at 59.99 or 39.99 to make the price tag artificially more palatable to the consumer. This is on a smaller scale and less objectionable, certainly, but there is the same mindset behind both pricing schemes. And in the end, neither of these cross the line for me and dissuade me from purchasing games. :getmecoat

Aren't a lot 800 points because that equals 10 US dollars? That's what I figured. The MS points to Dollar exchange rate is 1.25 right?

Aren't a lot 800 points because that equals 10 US dollars? That's what I figured. The MS points to Dollar exchange rate is 1.25 right?

Yes. But why is the there even an exchange rate?

<puts on tinfoil hat>

There is an exchange rate and oddly sized increments/prices tags because it is extra money for Microsoft.

When you buy 1 item of $10, or 800 points. You need to buy 1000 points, and you wasted 200. When you want to buy something else, which is probably also $10 you need to buy another 1000 points. After that you will have 400 left. etc. In the end you either don't give a crap about losing the money, or you buy some extra credits to waste it on something you are not really interested in, but which will put your credit on 0.

it's an absolute win for Microsoft in any case

I vaguely remember hearing that it was a way to decrease the total number of credit card transactions, which means Microsoft can sell a larger quantity of micropayment items without losing a good chunk of profit each time. So it's a combination of elmuerte's theory of incentivizing small purchases and the framework to ensure maximum profit of those purchases.

And checking wikipedia, Microsoft point exchange rates vary with every currency except US dollars, which nicely throws another wrench into the system. Although I think not having a constant exchange rate for other currencies probably deters buy unless exchange rates are in their favor, unless Microsoft can save an account of a certain currency for later when it is profitable to convert it to the dollar... and... I get a headache trying to figure out economics, nevermind.

Wow The Pitt was really great! Awesome DLC.

It's like a glorified version of the Tenpenny Tower quest with even greater morally complicated alternate paths. Plus the writing is really sharp and I love the things NPC's shout at you based on your actions. My favorite line

(I heard someone yell at me after the Arena) "Wow, you killed the shit out of Gruber!" Hah! Poor Gruber.

considering I didn't like Tenpenny Tower quest.. the pitt wold suck too