Jake

Far Cry 2

One thing that I keep getting really confused by in this game is the direction that various sounds are coming from. I am playing with headphones on and I keep hearing sounds that seem to come from behind me but when I turn around, nobody is there. I've noticed it with brush fires too where I am watching shit burn and start to hear a burning sound that I swear is coming from behind my character. But every time I turn around there is nothing there. Has anyone else noticed this with this game or am I just crazy?

On this, yearoftheps3.info, I bought Far Cry 2 (for the PS3). I figured I'll give the console version a try and I don't have that much to play on the PS3, which is now my main entertainment machine, on the year of the PS3*.

* likely soon to be replaced by Steam link or something similar, though.

One thing that I keep getting really confused by in this game is the direction that various sounds are coming from. I am playing with headphones on and I keep hearing sounds that seem to come from behind me but when I turn around, nobody is there. I've noticed it with brush fires too where I am watching shit burn and start to hear a burning sound that I swear is coming from behind my character. But every time I turn around there is nothing there. Has anyone else noticed this with this game or am I just crazy?

cant say i have experienced it :( but i don't think you are crazy

Zeus, from what you're saying, it's that the sound is supposed to be coming from in front of you but it's actually being heard as if it's behind you (and vice versa)?

But sounds that are supposed to be on the left or right are playing in the correct ear, yes?

I think what might be happening is that I'm hearing the sounds of the bullets hitting surfaces behind me or they modeled sounds echoing or something. I don't think the channels are necessarily messed up because a lot of the time the sounds are coming from the expected direction.

Luckily, I am not alone with this problem so I'm not completely crazy: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1704289.html

I had a relatively decent Far Cry 2 stream last night. Here are some highlights showing a couple gnarly situations I got myself into.

Apologies for my dumb face and dumb commentary. I need to get some better lighting set up for my webcam.

This game is the best.

Fuck the water and fuck boats. I thought I was taking a nice scenic shortcut to my destination and then...

Good work Cat Lord, I've played FC2 too many times to count but never actually watched anyone else rip through it. [OK I watched Nick B. play but that doesn't count because he was goofing off!]

Next time I'm in the mood for this, I'm gonna try your looted-weapons-only approach on hardcore and see how long I can survive, but I'm going to use stealth sometimes and not just blow through everything. :)

I recently re-listened to the original run of idle thumbs and it spurred me to re-visit this game. I really enjoyed it the first time through and never really minded the jamming weapons, malaria pills, and respawning guard posts, but that was on normal. I started again on infamous (no crosshairs, only ironsights) and it is making the hostility of <African Country> really come to the forefront. I rely on my buddy a lot more and I'm really desperate for more diamonds. I haven't been able to fully resist quicksaving on the PC, but I'm trying to make the best of bad situations.

The highlights this time through are how awesome the fires can be, but also very dangerous at the same time. My best friend and worst enemy. Also, I love that the wildlife is never hostile, while everything else is. It would seem very fitting if all or even just some of the animals were out to get you, but I think the fact that the animals are just observers or victims accentuates that you are in a man-made hellscape. It also heightens those quieter times when you are just traversing across the wonderous savanna and a gazelle starts running alongside you. I suppose malaria could be the version of nature out to get you, but in a way that is almost more of a human issue because there's not enough malaria pills and you have to trade passports to get medicine. If <African Country> had plenty of medicine and no one wanted to leave, the malaria problem would be solved.

My favorite moment so far related to the wildlife may have been a bit of an AI glitch, but it stuck with me. I ran into a patrol jeep. There was a shallow puddle with a gazelle in it between our cars. Naturally, I jumped into the mounted gun and blew the patrolmen away (igndotcom). At the sound of gunfire, the gazelle flipped out and just started running away from me, straight into the other parked jeep. It banged its head and keeled over. Another innocent life lost in my rampage across <African Country>.

Anyway, super late to the party, but thought I would just put down a few words about a great game. So what is Clint Hocking doing now? Do any other games even come close to FC2?

Clint Hocking is now working at Amazon Game Studios on unannounced projects, according to linkedin.

Ok I picked this up and I'm playing it for the first time now. It's really good.

I died like ten feet outside of a safe house I had just captured but not yet entered, and now my buddy is just running around outside that safe house. Does anyone know how I can get her rescue-ready again? She doesn't ever do the thing when I go into that safe house, a different safe house, rest until nightfall, or save at a weapons dealer.

Edit: fixed itself. Nevermind. Game is awesome though.

I'm not sure if it's a set period of time, but the Buddy system just works of its own accord. As far as I know, it's unaffected by player input (other than the inevitable ending, of course).

Far Cry 2 is my Westworld!

... it just dawned on me, while playing ... and losing all sense of time, immediately. Not Red Dead Redemption, not GTA V, not any other game previous or after Far Cry 2. And, if you are reading this, it is the same with you, I assume. 

wesworld-season-1-finale-man-in-black-ed

I can not play it for months and even years, but when I come back, it certainly feels like 'home'. And unlike many games, which 'age not well', nothing about the gameplay or stunning graphics loses it's grip on me. I still might 'miss' the lack of hippos or crocodiles while cruising on a boat down the river, but nothing about 'repairing your car' or a jamming pistol while cleaning an outpost, or getting the shivers from Malaria during a frantic fight, gets old or 'boring'.

I'll stop here, not trying to waste more of all your time. 

Just somebody mentioning "Far Cry 2" can uncontrollably start up the game. I know...

Turn off the music and inject the soundtrack from Francis Ford Coppola's Apocalypse Now! Conrad's Heart of Darkness becomes alive?!FarCry2 2017-10-09 12-11-56.jpg

Edited by Adam Beckett
Video added