Jake

Far Cry 2

I always wondered who actually drove the buses to and fro while I was playing. After a while I sort of just assumed they were left there as a public service when every non-mercenary character abandoned the area and the player character drives them around himself. Which begs the question: why not just drive them all the time if you can bypass checkpoints that easily?

I think the in-fiction explanation is that the buses are literal teleportation stations, as in Star Trek. I seem to recall that being in the manual somewhere. I know that in real life Africa, a lot of bus stations have been converted into teleportation stations because finding parts and fuel to keep the buses running can be a challenge. Teleportation, despite the issues with loading screens and the occasional crash, ends up being more convenient.

Whoa, man. This sounds way more philosophical than was probably intended. Like, "the territory is not the map."

Not shown on the Far Cry 2 title art is the bus stop the guy is perpetually waiting at.

I just made it to the 2nd half of the game. The enemies have bigger machine guns on their trucks, they carry rocket launchers pretty frequently, I'm not used to the terrain, and I just used my last pill - and don't have access to underground missions apparently.

On the plus side, I discovered that the grenade launcher is magical.

I'm fascinated by the stupidity of your buddies when they assist you on missions. In one case, my buddy was in the center of an enclave of enemies, behind a jeep. I didn't see him.

I see two bad guys running for the jeep to use against me. Grenade launcher that shit. Bam, mission complete abruptly. It wasn't until I was done cleaning house that I noticed my buddy's corpse.

chunky god-rays made my head spin. just chunks of god rays all over the place.

god chunks of ray.

All praise Ray the God of Chunks

I don't see how this game can be considered good.It's ok but that is as far as I would go.First time I played it when it was new,played for around 4-5 hours,got annoyed and used cheats to unlock all weapons fucked around for an hour and left it UNTIL NOW!After listening to the cast I decided to dig this thing from the bottom of my box of shame and give it another shot.I don't like this game,the main problem for me is the same as it was then,I fell this game is wasting my fuckin time.The world is boring, a thing that is more noticeable because there are only 5 quick travel locations on the map,the shooting is alright and the driving is fine.Maybe for it's time it was good but now why would you recommend it instead of fallout,stalker or far cry 3,those games actually have interesting things to see and do.

You came to the wrong neighborhood, motherfucker.

PEOPLE BE SAYING WHATEVA' ABOUT FAR CRY 2, I BE SAYIN' WHATEVA', MAN. BUT YOU WANNA BRING DAT SHIT, LETS BRING DAT SHIT. I TAKE IT STRAIGHT TO DA STREETS, MAN.

1817042-blat.jpg

FAR CRY 2, MOTHERFUCKAH'.

WE BRING IT WIT DA HEAT, MAN. CLACK CLACK CLACK. BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAT.

In all seriousness, I can see how you can feel that way about the game, Rakombo. Reason why it's so revered here is because (thanks in part to Idle Thumbs' talks about the game) we've come to realize how succinct and fine tuned the game's emergent system interplay with each other. It's basically the condensed, tightly packaged emergent FPS out there, IMO, and it's fascinating to play it and create awesome little stories that rise from the system's interplay.

In all seriousness, I can see how you can feel that way about the game, Rakombo. Reason why it's so revered here is because (thanks in part to Idle Thumbs' talks about the game) we've come to realize how succinct and fine tuned the game's emergent system interplay with each other. It's basically the condensed, tightly packaged emergent FPS out there, IMO, and it's fascinating to play it and create awesome little stories that rise from the system's interplay.

An example would be much appreciated.After playing it for around 4 hours and 80% of the time either driving or moving through brush(which is fuckin stupid BTW because most times I forget I'm supposed to be in Africa) I don't see the point of this.When I watch Chris an Nick play on youtube 90% of the time they're just oohing and aahing when they look at the scenery and the other 10 they engage in the average shooting mechanics of the game. Condensed and tightly packed with what exactly?Those little moments or stories that they talked about in tone control,"your gun jams so you run behind cover and the guy crashes and starts a fire" ,something along those lines never happens to me because I am actually trying to win,the stories that I experience are either I snipe every single guy while they run around like chickens with their heads cut off or I get shot and killed while not knowing who the hell did it.I would be also interested to hear why on earth would you choose this game instead of the other 3 games I mentioned. 

The reason you would play this instead of Fallout is because the shooting is far more responsive and fun. The reason you would play this instead of STALKER is because there's less fiddly RPG stuff and monsters and anomalies to deal with. The reason you would play this instead of Far Cry 3 is because it has a less intrusive UI, a story that doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out, missions that don't autofail if you go out of bounds, and no stupid crafting system.

The reason you would play this instead of Fallout is because the shooting is far more responsive and fun. The reason you would play this instead of STALKER is because there's less fiddly RPG stuff and monsters and anomalies to deal with. The reason you would play this instead of Far Cry 3 is because it has a less intrusive UI, a story that doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out, missions that don't autofail if you go out of bounds, and no stupid crafting system.

First of all,what exactly is that video supposed to show?Second,the shooting in fallout is much more fun for me I have no idea what you mean by more responsive.Besides the shooting in that game happens more frequently.Stalker-I like the rpg mechanics,and if you don't want to deal with things why are you playing a first person shooter?the problem in this game is that you have almost nothing to deal with and the things that you do are far more annoying than anything I encountered in Stalker.The patrols that die from a single explosive or a spray from an LMG are not difficult,the checkpoint that you drive through, sneak by or kill everyone from a distance are not challenging just tedious.Far cry 3-Shit story I agree but the story of Far Cry 2 is no Shakespeare.Not to mention that in my opinion you don't play these types of games for story.The autofail is bullshit no argument there.The UI is not really a big deal to me and even if it was the map in 2 is rage inducing at times,have you used it on a boat? That shit is insane I had to stop and look on the web if there is a button to make the dumb fuck I am playing as to lower the fuckin thing so it won't take up 70% of my screen.The crafting system I actually like,it's gamy sure but it solves a few problems that 2 had:

1)Actually gives you something to do.

2)you don't need to do detours just so you can replenish your healing Items.

And even if I agreed will all the things you said I still fell those games are far more competent,both as sandbox and fps games.

First of all,what exactly is that video supposed to show?

You said, of the emergent gameplay that makes Far Cry 2 so amazing, that "An example would be much appreciated." I linked an example: Nick was trying to ambush the convoy but right as he fired, the lead vehicle drove in front of his bullet, preventing it from killing the driver and thus causing him to fail the mission because he had to get into the jeep to pursue the truck but in doing so he got himself shot to death.

Second,the shooting in fallout is much more fun for me I have no idea what you mean by more responsive.Besides the shooting in that game happens more frequently.

A lot of people would disagree with you about how the guns feel in the two games: most people find Fallout (3 and New Vegas both) to be clunky shooters compared to most traditional FPS games, especially something like Far Cry 2 which really nails the shooting mechanics. Your desire for shooting that "happens more frequently" is also one not everyone shares. Just like some people prefer movies like No Country for Old Men where the violence is sporadic and meaningful because it punctuates moments of calm and creates, with those moments of calm, a variegated, textured experience, and just like those people don't quite enjoy movies like The Expendables or Transformers that are just balls to the wall action all the time, some people prefer games like Far Cry 2, where the action feels more meaningful and interesting because it's not just a steady drone of constant shooting.

This is not to say you're wrong or something, it's just to explain what so many Idle Thumbs people, including the podcast hosts, love about the game.

Stalker-I like the rpg mechanics,and if you don't want to deal with things why are you playing a first person shooter?the problem in this game is that you have almost nothing to deal with and the things that you do are far more annoying than anything I encountered in Stalker.

It's not about the bare number of things you have to deal with: it's not like you just list out things that you have to deal with in a game and the one with the most things is the winner. It's about the kinds of things you have to deal with in the game. In Far Cry 2, how many things do you have to worry about? Just two: shooting people and collecting diamonds. And the diamonds are optional. If you're playing a shooter because you enjoy shooting, Far Cry 2 can be a very rewarding experience because nothing takes you out of the shooting. This is one of the things the Thumbs hated about Far Cry 3: that game was very focused on pulling you away from gunfights and giving you animals to skin and medicine plants to pick and stuff. It ruins the flow of the game and forces a lot of tedious busywork on the player in place of allowing them to play out the core gameplay loop that is combat.

Again, this is not to say you're wrong, it's just to point out what people like in Far Cry 2 that isn't present in STALKER or Far Cry 3, games which require you to think about a lot more than shooting enemies.

The patrols that die from a single explosive or a spray from an LMG are not difficult,the checkpoint that you drive through, sneak by or kill everyone from a distance are not challenging just tedious.

These things strike me as just as hard or easy as anything you'll ever encounter in Far Cry 3 or STALKER, and as to their tedious nature, you'll find that people who enjoy Far Cry 2 don't find sneaking, driving, or sniping from a distance to be tedious, or if they do, they take an alternate approach. Far Cry 2 lets you handle situations in whatever manner you enjoy, so if you find something tedious, then you can simply not do it.

Far cry 3-Shit story I agree but the story of Far Cry 2 is no Shakespeare.Not to mention that in my opinion you don't play these types of games for story.

Far Cry 3 is forthrightly stupid racist worthless bullshit. Far Cry 2 isn't Shakespeare because it isn't anything - you can ignore the story entirely and just play missions forever, which is what Nick Breckon does, for instance. The difference between the two is that Far Cry 3 has an omnipresent UI element always urging you to get back to the story, which is offensively terrible, whereas Far Cry 2 has none of that.

The UI is not really a big deal to me and even if it was the map in 2 is rage inducing at times,have you used it on a boat? That shit is insane I had to stop and look on the web if there is a button to make the dumb fuck I am playing as to lower the fuckin thing so it won't take up 70% of my screen.

The UI isn't a big deal to you but it's a dealbreaker for a lot of people, and the clunkiness of the map in Far Cry 2 is part of the charm. The map taking up your screen is what leads to so many wacky moments like driving into a rock on accident while running away from enemies and having to abandon your vehicle and finding yourself stuck in a ravine and so forth.

The crafting system I actually like,it's gamy sure but it solves a few problems that 2 had:

1)Actually gives you something to do.

2)you don't need to do detours just so you can replenish your healing Items.

And even if I agreed will all the things you said I still fell those games are far more competent,both as sandbox and fps games.

Far Cry 2's "something to do" is shoot people - that is what a lot of people are looking for in a first person shooter, and Far Cry 2 doesn't make stuff get in the way of that the way Far Cry 3 does. If you don't want to spend as much time shooting in a first person shooter as other people, this might explain why you don't like Far Cry 2, which is a game all about shooting people and not at all about crafting. You also don't need to do detours in Far Cry 2 to replenish your healing items, generally, because you can find water at outposts and health syrettes at the safe houses.

Your overall feeling that the other games are "far more competent" simply isn't shared by a lot of the people here, so unless it relies on observations than the ones you've already mentioned, you'll have to remain at least a little mystified about why people enjoy Far Cry 2 so much.