Jake

Far Cry 2

Ahah, I guess I was lucky most of my friends had died at that point. So you actually managed to save them from the first bar? I didn't think you could do that.

Actually, no. I didn't even think about that. I guess that you never actually have any more proof of their death than "if you don't go, they might die!" I suppose maybe they were recruited against me and I was told that they were killed?

I thought it was strange that an apparently ruthless mercenary would suddenly become so selfless, take out the faction leaders (for a third time), and then sacrifice himself for the good of the innocents. It would have been easy to shoot The Jackal in the face and be done with it. I suppose maybe the malaria would have been a bit of a problem, but the money from the hit would buy a lot of pills, yes?

Well, the game doesn't let you play all the huge numbers of mercenaries who don't grow a spine, and so are not interesting. You're the one who does, otherwise there wouldn't be a story.

But I guess you probably didn't get your friends from the first section fighting you at the end? As far as I know, there's no way to keep them alive until that point. If you go fight with them at the bar, you see their bodies piled up on a pickup later.

I thought Crysis suited consoles a bit more than Far Cry 2. Playing the latter on Xbox is still awesome, but less so.

In what way? Tech/performance, probably not, story/characters I'd say yeah... maybe even gameplay, but I didn't sit through Crysis for very long.

Well, the game doesn't let you play all the huge numbers of mercenaries who don't grow a spine, and so are not interesting. You're the one who does, otherwise there wouldn't be a story.

But I guess you probably didn't get your friends from the first section fighting you at the end? As far as I know, there's no way to keep them alive until that point. If you go fight with them at the bar, you see their bodies piled up on a pickup later.

I got them and I went to the bar to fight with them...I was fucking attached to those guys...I wanted to save my buddies; and how do they repay me!?

Also, I wasn't sure if the bodies piled up on the truck were them or not and they were listed as missing. I actually hoped they were still alive but figured they weren't. The french woman from the first map who was my "boss" or whatever really twisted the knife...she came off as something of an idealist I thought (one who was slowly becoming more wearied and perhaps comprimised by the situation)...but then she's the one who tells Nasreen (when she's like "we can't kill him he's one of us gibble gobble gibble gobble") that they have to kill me because its me or them and fuck me. She was also the only one left alive (albeit wounded) and I couldn't bring myself to kill her even though I was pissed...so I left her (which was probably even less merciful) and it listed her as missing so I think she's still alive and thats a perfect way to end "my story" in my mind...the only surviving mercenary was the most comprimised by all this shit...the most corrupted perhaps.

I'm just glad my good friends Andre Hyppolite and Josip didn't live to see this (I didn't realize how the whole buddies mechanic worked with Josip and never watched for the blue smoke...so he died and I felt kinda bad about that...I made a heroic effort to save Andre (after Nasreen saved me when I got gunned down) who was a badass and my best bud in the game...and I morphined him again and again (I was all like "live dammit, live") until he died...I thought about reloading but I thought it'd be better not to just throw out that whole experience.

Oddly enough I didn't feel bad about Xianyong Bai dying...I kind of actually tried to let him die after a couple bad experiences with almost having him die and having to play through the same experience over and over...he sucked and I was tired of his shit and bailing him out after he blue smoked after every fucking mission. So as I was making my half hearted effort to save him after clearing the area out...a truck happens to drive through and the driver either ran me over or shot me (can't remember), and the next thing I know Andre is reviving me and Xianyong is dead already. I wasn't too torn up...but then I go to a safe house and Andre gives me some speech about how I shouldn't feel too bad about Xianyong because at least I was there for him/with him in the end and thats all you can really ask for and I actually felt slightly guilty...Andre was fucking guilt tripping me and it worked because he'd bailed my ass out so many times and he was pretty much my favorite character at this point. So I felt weird as I drove around for the rest of that very melancholy in game day.

I got them and I went to the bar to fight with them...I was fucking attached to those guys...I wanted to save my buddies; and how do they repay me!?

Also, I wasn't sure if the bodies piled up on the truck were them or not and they were listed as missing. I actually hoped they were still alive but figured they weren't. The french woman from the first map who was my "boss" or whatever really twisted the knife...she came off as something of an idealist I thought (one who was slowly becoming more wearied and perhaps comprimised by the situation)...but then she's the one who tells Nasreen (when she's like "we can't kill him he's one of us gibble gobble gibble gobble") that they have to kill me because its me or them and fuck me. She was also the only one left alive (albeit wounded) and I couldn't bring myself to kill her even though I was pissed...so I left her (which was probably even less merciful) and it listed her as missing so I think she's still alive and thats a perfect way to end "my story" in my mind...the only surviving mercenary was the most comprimised by all this shit...the most corrupted perhaps.

I'm just glad my good friends Andre Hyppolite and Josip didn't live to see this (I didn't realize how the whole buddies mechanic worked with Josip and never watched for the blue smoke...so he died and I felt kinda bad about that...I made a heroic effort to save Andre (after Nasreen saved me when I got gunned down) who was a badass and my best bud in the game...and I morphined him again and again (I was all like "live dammit, live") until he died...I thought about reloading but I thought it'd be better not to just throw out that whole experience.

Oddly enough I didn't feel bad about Xianyong Bai dying...I kind of actually tried to let him die after a couple bad experiences with almost having him die and having to play through the same experience over and over...he sucked and I was tired of his shit and bailing him out after he blue smoked after every fucking mission. So as I was making my half hearted effort to save him after clearing the area out...a truck happens to drive through and the driver either ran me over or shot me (can't remember), and the next thing I know Andre is reviving me and Xianyong is dead already. I wasn't too torn up...but then I go to a safe house and Andre gives me some speech about how I shouldn't feel too bad about Xianyong because at least I was there for him/with him in the end and thats all you can really ask for and I actually felt slightly guilty...Andre was fucking guilt tripping me and it worked because he'd bailed my ass out so many times and he was pretty much my favorite character at this point. So I felt weird as I drove around for the rest of that very melancholy in game day.

I had the same experience with Andre.

In what way? Tech/performance, probably not, story/characters I'd say yeah... maybe even gameplay, but I didn't sit through Crysis for very long.

Definitely not the technical aspects, but certainly the general premise and design goals. Crysis is much more of a shooter than Far Cry 2, and dynamic action mixed with in-depth, almost cerebral narrative experiences are kind of more PC's territory, you know?

It's merely game of 2009 on 360, the less adept controls and lower fidelity - if not graphics per se - visual crispness, make me far more inclined to be very conservative and safe both in and out of combat, leading to less dynamism and awesome shit.

Finally beat this game, and overall I liked it a lot, but definitely had some problems with the ending.

I know some of you have been talking about this, but I hated how my buddies turned on me in the end, and I hated how I didn't even get the chance to kill the Jackal. I felt too bad about attacking my buddies (Josip and Andre for me) at the end so I just grabbed the rocks and fled. I chose to take the diamonds to bribe the guards, and I guess it's implied that you killed yourself? Definitely don't like that, when it was like I figured the Jackal wouldn't do the same. Why are good endings in games so rare?

I definitely remember Josip and French Chick - both supposedly died when I went to help the Underground escapees, but I never had anything more than a "they were killed, I swear." It may not have been all nine (I was too busy trying not to die to get an accurate count), but there were most certainly first-half friends there.

Edited by Lord Korax

I personally thought the ending was one of the best ones I've come across.

Korax, you killed my spoiler tag! That's interesting...

skipping the ending posts.... hehehe.

Anyway, still playing at work(home pc is dead, thanks whatever fucked up) and decided to listen to podcasts while playing(I never listen to anything in a game, but for some reason farcry 2 seemed like a neat idea to have an ipod with me) and it might be a little bizarre when the thumbs start talking about farcry 2 while I'm in a fire fight.

If only this was in game and I could pause the cast, instead they are always talking about interesting things at the worst time so I think to myself "Shut up Jake, I need to focus here or they're going to kill me!"

edit: On the pcgamer cast with chris... he successfully snuck in a farcry 2 talk in this one too.

Edited by Murdoc

I first posted this on Nachimir's other thread, but I guess this is the main one.

I've been playing Far Cry 2 for about 2,5 hours so far. The progress shows that I'm now 12% done and the game has not really convinced me to really start playing it. It feels like a very normal, not that special shooter in many ways.

I'm thinking that mostly it's because my computer is 4½ years old. I have to play with everything set to low and everything just looks very ugly.

Tomorrow I'm upgrading the motherboard, getting a good Core2Duo processor and 2GB memory that is propably more than 2x faster than what I had before plus I will get to finally use my SLI setup with the GF 8600 GT graphics cards and combined 2GB memory with those.

After that I will give Far Cry 2 a new try and lets see then how things will look like.

Yeah Kolzig, FC2 has that like ten hour entry mark, where around that time you start seeing the game, which is unfortunate in terms of getting acceptence because very few games I'd give the chance, but I was drawn in by fc2 pretty heavily.

Side note, was listening to a thumbcast when playing Farcry 2 and they talked about Henry Hatsworth. So I went, downloaded the sound track and started it up while playing Farcry 2.

I can say that the first 2-3 adventure tracks were hilariously fitting when I was cruising around in the buggy running over things and escaping fire fights.

Goddamn it. Someone please tell me why I should keep trying to play this game. I just loaded up a third new game in the hopes that it would actually let me play past the first 2 hours without something being ridiculously broken this time, and the very first thing I notice in the game is that all voices are missing. All the ambient sound is there, but the cab driver looks like he's trying to mime his intro. I let it go for 3 silent minutes before I tried another new game, same issue. Am I just never going to get to play this goddamned game?

The ending sequence really got to me, even though I was thoroughly spoiled and knew more or less what was going to happen...

Fighting the buddies is ridiculous even on EASY! This game is supposed to be realistic, right? Then how come they take MORE THAN ONE HIT WITH AN RPG to kill? That's ludicrous! But it really got to me when I saw the buddy that I thought had died in jail trying to kill me....

I also felt kinda good to see that I had sacrificed my character to save the only character that wasn't a jerk in the game and the only one I wanted to save!

I also had a buddy killed by a glitch!

I went to sleep knowing that my buddy should be there waiting for me when I woke up... but he wasn't! I could see the subtitles with his cry for help, but I couldn't see or hear him or the smoke signal! I had to abandon him....:frusty:

While it could have done with an extra layer of polish, I enjoyed the game a lot! :clap:

My fight was so quick I didn't really realize what happened. Boom! Dead, the lot of them. Granted quite many were dead, so I never really got the message of all my buddies turning against me.

Goddamn it. Someone please tell me why I should keep trying to play this game. I just loaded up a third new game in the hopes that it would actually let me play past the first 2 hours without something being ridiculously broken this time, and the very first thing I notice in the game is that all voices are missing. All the ambient sound is there, but the cab driver looks like he's trying to mime his intro. I let it go for 3 silent minutes before I tried another new game, same issue. Am I just never going to get to play this goddamned game?

I had this last week and it was infuriating me (steam version). I switched to DirectX 10 and I think that fixed it for me. Of course this was after hours of trying different drivers for things etc. Bastards.

Edited by SoulChicken

My fight was so quick I didn't really realize what happened. Boom! Dead, the lot of them. Granted quite many were dead, so I never really got the message of all my buddies turning against me.

I fought at least FIVE buddies, only one of the person who got "lost" at the battle that ended chapter two didn't reappear.... I kept expecting her to so so later though...

I had this last week and it was infuriating me (steam version). I switched to DirectX 10 and I think that fixed it for me. Of course this was after hours of trying different drivers for things etc. Bastards.

I'm running on Windows 7, which I thought had no option to not run in DirectX 10? Oh well. I'm sure I'll try again in another few months. I always do, in the hopes that the game may actually fucking WORK for once. At this point I'm worried that all this shit has permanently soured me on FC2 and I'll never actually be able to like it because I'm too pissed off at it.

You can run DirectX 9 in W7. Launch the benchmark tool, I changed it there I think. Or the configuration app. I wish I remembered for sure, I know the pain you feel.

I'm running on Windows 7, which I thought had no option to not run in DirectX 10? Oh well. I'm sure I'll try again in another few months. I always do, in the hopes that the game may actually fucking WORK for once. At this point I'm worried that all this shit has permanently soured me on FC2 and I'll never actually be able to like it because I'm too pissed off at it.

You could always play it on X360, HMV are selling copies for about 20 dollars new. The only thing is you should save in 5 different slots and regularly. Almost everyone I know had a period where their saves got corrupted at around the 70% progress mark (this problem resolves itself eventually)

I actually think the game was solid on the X360 and the only thing that suffered was the framerate drop when transitioning between areas too quickly.

The sound issue you described is something I've had in several other games. Where ambient sounds were fine or super loud and everything else was missing. Updating my audio drivers/codec(hd codec i think) is what fixed it for me.

You could always play it on X360, HMV are selling copies for about 20 dollars new.

That's true, I could. On the other hand, this really looks like it was meant to be a PC game, and I spent forty goddamn dollars on it only to have it fuck up on me four times in four different ways now. I'm going to play that game one day, I just wish they had figured out how to make a game work when they made a game.

I really enjoyed it on the PS3 and it seemed to suit the platform well.

Hey, resurrecting this old thread for a second.

I've sunk 169.9hrs into this game according to Steam and i've loved every second of it. Played through it several times, got all the diamonds, tapes etc.

My question is, has anyone else done 169.9hrs?

Also, is there every going to be a Far Cry 3? If so, will it be another Far Cry or another Far Cry 2?