Jake

Far Cry 2

Has anyone seen Permanent Death? Someone is chronicling his game from a first-person narrative, and stopping after his character dies.

That's actually an incredibly awesome way to play a game. By chronicling your character you would get more and more involved with him, until the point where you'd really consider every single move. By making it a blog, you add weight to your decision to play it "real", too.

No chance I'm reading it, of course, but I'd love to do it.

All the golden guns I'm finding are the AK-47s (or whatever automatic rifle, I can't tell the difference between guns), are there supposed to be any others? I think I happened on a bug because the last 6 Jackal tapes I've found are all about the 12 year old kid with the shotgun who looks old and tired.

Oh man, I just took out a rocket flying towards me with the dart gun. And it killed the guy who shot it.

All the golden guns I'm finding are the AK-47s (or whatever automatic rifle, I can't tell the difference between guns), are there supposed to be any others?

I think there's something like four golden AK-47's to find and that's it.

I found all the diamonds, scouted all the guard posts and what did I get for that? Nothing. Not even a jacuzzi for my safe-house.

Actually, hunting diamonds and exploring is my favourite part of the game so I did enjoy doing that. But some kind of reward would have been nice.

I found all the diamonds, scouted all the guard posts and what did I get for that? Nothing. Not even a jacuzzi for my safe-house.

Actually, hunting diamonds and exploring is my favourite part of the game so I did enjoy doing that. But some kind of reward would have been nice.

You get achievements on the 360 version....

So remember I got all that compressed air for my PC? Yeah, it didn't really work. Finally got in touch with those nice folk I know and they chucked in their spare 6600 card. Lo and behold it worked fine, so my 8800 GT is now consigned to the scrapheap. Until my shiny new Radeon HD 4870 arrives, they're letting me borrow their spare.

I really wanted to play Far Cry 2 after nearly two months without it, so I turned everything down to Low and the resolution to 800x600 so it looks like a PS1 game. It still splutters along at a less than desirable framerate ;(

I had nothing to do today so i booted it up at work and everything was on low... it didn't look good, I stuck it up on ultra high and yeah it stutters here and there, but I'll live with it.

Man, I knew I loved the game, but I thought it was just brainwashings from the thumbcasts, but shit, I love this game.

How does difficulty work? Does it just increase health on other enemies or spawns more guys?

I was drivingaround, saw a sign that said fort, went in and busted up some stuff, but there were like maybe 8 guys in the whole place. It was awesome because I shot a propane tank and it just swirled around everywhere lighting the place on fire, but it would have been nice to take on a few more people.

Anyway, day 2 of nothing to do, so starting up some more, I should probably do a mission today.

The more I think about this game the more I'm certain it's the best game of all time. Ocarina of Time is my favourite, but Far Cry 2 might be the true greatest.

You know that "Citizen Kane moment" crap that everyone always brings up? Yeah, as much as I hate that stuff, I think this game was possibly it, and most people didn't like it because they weren't immediately handed an awesome gun, put on a linear path and told to blow stuff up all the time. Far Cry 2 found and exploited the interactive language better than any game ever, and I think it was something of a watershed moment.

I both respect that sentiment and think it makes me hate the game for it. Mostly because it seems so dead set against me actually playing it. I swore that I would give Far Cry 2 another go after the last time when a bug ended my game 2 hours in. This time, I played through the tutorial and, upon arriving at the house with the dude who gives you your first mission, discovered that I could not move. Like, could walk a step, but then would get caught on some invisible piece of geometry. I tried walking around it, but aside from going straight ahead there were only walls. I tried jumping over whatever the hell it was, but apparently it's invisible height was too great for that. So I saved and quit. Reloaded the game, still stuck. I cannot move from the spot where my character is standing. I can only conclude that this game hates me and does not want me to play it. The fact that people whose opinions I greatly respect call it potentially the greatest game of all time makes me hate it for not letting me play it. Fucking game.

Man. That sucks. I think the game is relatively bug free, thoguh. Maybe if you give it another try the bad luck will go away :blink:. I also have gotten stuck and had to reload a couple of times, but it was between rocks that had some weird geometry.

Are you playing on console or PC, Miffy? Around forums I frequent it seems a higher percentage of console players were put off by dodgy stuff, as well as the save system. Having a huge backlog of quick saves made every five fucking minutes really helps :yep:

Damn, Far Cry 2. I can't wait to get my new graphics card, it's the first thing I'll play :tup:

The fact that people whose opinions I greatly respect call it potentially the greatest game of all time...

Who said that? I'm not disagreeing with them, I just don't remember hearing/seeing that and I'm curious. Maybe it's in this thread but I don't feel like combing the whole thing.

I'm giving it another try. I rented the Xbox version, and played just beyond the south area opening up before a glitch corrupted my only save, at which point I said, "Fuck this!" and returned it. I have since bought it, and I'm keeping a couple rolling saves in case one gets ruined. I'm also re-listening to the podcast while playing to get the true, full FarCry 2 experience.

Who said that? I'm not disagreeing with them, I just don't remember hearing/seeing that and I'm curious. Maybe it's in this thread but I don't feel like combing the whole thing.

Nick did in one of the casts.

Also, people were saying they were thinking of bestowing that title upon it a couple of posts above mine.

To answer your question, my first game ending bug occurred on my desktop PC. My second happened when trying again on my laptop. The fact that I've tried it on two different hardware configurations contributes to my theory that the game hates me personally.

Still playing... have a couple gripes but its minor(saving/autosave)

I'm really just f@#$ing around in it, the jackal doesn't really interest me(unless I was to become him, and I can't) It's weird, if i just screw around in GTA its fun, I turn it off, but I'm screwing around in this, wanting to save it and feel like I acomplished something... that's pretty neat.

I'm playing at work and we did a side by side of Crysis(I didn't like that game... like at all) and I was realyl imrpessed with farcry 2 when it was released and when I'm playing it looks nice enough, but man, Crysis holds up, Farcry not so much.

Yeah yeah, it was geared to the console crowd, everything is fine, just saying, i didn't realize the differences were so far apart at the time.

Oh and about ol' Hock and Sock(I will slip this in and call him this if I ever get the balls to go up and say Hi) But enjoying my new found city/job I sat in on a presentation I'm sure hes bound to do at GDC or something; he said he was touring universities with it.

The title was: Territory is Not the Map : Hyper Realism and the Immersive Paradigm. I can't say too much about it, because it wasn't really what i thought it was going to be, but it was interesting.

I took notes and I get sort of what he was talking about, but there wasn't a conclusion to it, he even stated it himself. I think he's onto this really big ideal, just hasn't gotten a hold of anything solid yet and is doing the presentation to help work things out. To sum it up, hes talking about games interacting with each other, the player, the real world, clouds, and just the immersiveness that could be had with that.

Either way, the title sounded cool.

Just finished it, and I've had a couple "emergent gameplay" moments that stick out in my mind:

During an assault on one of the various strongholds, I bail out of my car and send it crashing into a few guys and a couple of other cars. As I start shooting at the enemies, one decides to get in one of the cars and try to run me over. As he starts the car rolling, he pulls right into the path of an unseen rocket, causing all three vehicles to explode, the burning wreckage of the manned car flying across my field of view, five feet from my face.

While driving along a stretch of road, I pass through a checkpoint, causing a couple of trucks to start trying to run me down. I ditch my car, sidestep the first vehicle, and gun down the men inside. As I reload, I hear a second engine suddenly revving up. I look to my right just in time to see the second truck slam into me. As I slump to the ground, my vision going red and then fading to black, I think, "So that's what it's like to get hit by a car." It was kind of distressing. Fortunately, a buddy was around to rescue me.

I was sad to reach the ending, not because it meant not having any more sandbox play, but because the ending was horrible.

First you follow a chain of nonsensical assassination missions that nobody in their right mind would do, and then your friends turn on you! Is there a history threshold that keeps them from turning? If so, it must be high, because I wasted a lot of time doing buddy side-missions. I also went to the trouble of rescuing all the buddies, and even subtracting the two that died during various misadventures meant that there were NINE assholes trying to kill me. I had to knock the difficulty down to easy to get past that part.

I thought Crysis suited consoles a bit more than Far Cry 2. Playing the latter on Xbox is still awesome, but less so.

Ahah, I guess I was lucky most of my friends had died at that point. So you actually managed to save them from the first bar? I didn't think you could do that.

The assassination missions didn't seem nonsensical to me, not any more than ones that came before. Obviously the guy we're playing is pretty happy to do assassinations, since that's the reason he's in the country.