Jake

Far Cry 2

I wonder what they'll do story wise. For me one big part of Far Cry 2's charm was the fact that it's an adaptation of Heart of Darkness and I've read a whole bunch of Conrad novels in the past year and a half. I guess they could try to do Lord Jim in the same vein ;D They'll probably come up with something of their own though.

The Secret Agent meets Under Western Eyes in Hell!

Edit--

Nah I think this is better:

Nostromo meets Under Western Eyes in Guam!

I think this time they'll try to adapt some of Hemingway's prose, maybe they can go for "The Old Man and the Sea".

That would be a boring fuck of a game.

I think this time they'll try to adapt some of Hemingway's prose, maybe they can go for "The Old Man and the Sea".

Wait, you guys haven't played this?! It's called "Wind Waker."

:(

M'kay. Hemigway + random zombie spawns.

edit: After making that post about Old Man and the Sea, (which was first most un-gamey piece of prose that came to my mind) I actually explored this thought a little and imagined some parallel universe where some big company goes for it and makes 20-million-dollar, twelve-hour long game where you get to kill one fish, just to confuse a fuck out of all IGNdotcoms out there.

M'kay. Hemigway + random zombie spawns.

edit: After making that post about Old Man and the Sea, (which was first most un-gamey piece of prose that came to my mind) I actually explored this thought a little and imagined some parallel universe where some big company goes for it and makes 20-million-dollar, twelve-hour long game where you get to kill one fish, just to confuse a fuck out of all IGNdotcoms out there.

How much you wanna bet, though, they'd call it: Extreme Fishing 2010: The Reckoning

I like that you're confusing "a fuck" out of them. As though you just keep on confusing them more and more until finally they feel like they need to go have a smoke.

I like that you're confusing "a fuck" out of them. As though you just keep on confusing them more and more until finally they feel like they need to go have a smoke.

English isn't my native language so I feel an urge to make such phrasals up ;]

Hey, it's cool. I usually don't point stuff like that out, I just thought it was a really amusing example of that sort of thing.

Man, I still hate those respawning checkpoints. Even if I think they are generally justified and/or fit with the rest of the game, the particular implementation/respawn rate is ridiculous. Clearing a checkpoint, then driving 400-500 meters in one direction, then returning and finding it fully staffed again and the enemies on their patrols/positions after just a minute is passed... not cool.

Yeah, I have to agree with that. Maybe they should only respawn when you sleep or go pretty far from them.

Agree about the checkpoints / respawning enemies. I've been playing this game for a little while now, I'm at 16% completion and about 9 hours in. Aside from those few things I dislike, I am enjoying it very much. I guess another complaint would be the AI sucks, but all of you probably know that by now. I think my favorite thing about it is the environment, it is just gorgeous even at medium settings. And overall the gameplay is just really fun and I do think the buddy mechanic is sort of compelling, I actually care about my buddy in the context of the game.

Man, I still hate those respawning checkpoints. Even if I think they are generally justified and/or fit with the rest of the game, the particular implementation/respawn rate is ridiculous. Clearing a checkpoint, then driving 400-500 meters in one direction, then returning and finding it fully staffed again and the enemies on their patrols/positions after just a minute is passed... not cool.

On 360 or PC? One of main reasons why, unlike many other, I didn't have anything against checkpoints in FC2 was that I've thought respawn rate to be really well-balanced. Makes me wonder: was it difference between game versions (I've played on PC) or is it just my preference.

Did you ever come back to a checkpoint and find it still empty? Because that just didn't happen in my version.

On 360 or PC? One of main reasons why, unlike many other, I didn't have anything against checkpoints in FC2 was that I've thought respawn rate to be really well-balanced. Makes me wonder: was it difference between game versions (I've played on PC) or is it just my preference.

I'm playing the PC version.

Spoiler question around 30% completion:

Is there any way for your buddies to survive the fight where you have to choose to go to Mike's Bar or the church? I went to Mike's and helped them defend but they all died and shortly after I was taken down. Obviously you're not meant to win that fight but if there is some way for them to survive I'd probably do it over.

Spoiler question around 30% completion:

Is there any way for your buddies to survive the fight where you have to choose to go to Mike's Bar or the church? I went to Mike's and helped them defend but they all died and shortly after I was taken down. Obviously you're not meant to win that fight but if there is some way for them to survive I'd probably do it over.

Nope.

Damn, just when me and Josip were getting to know each other ;(. Oh well, at least I don't have to do anything over.

Damn, just when me and Josip were getting to know each other ;(. Oh well, at least I don't have to do anything over.

I'm also at that place in the game. I will not miss the annoying Warren who wanted me to kill some dudes just so he could get high. Josip was cool, though.

I did alot of side-missions (I'm a completionist) which felt like a lot of grinding and was kinda boring. Maybe new area in the second act will help alleviate that feeling.

Has anyone seen Permanent Death? Someone is chronicling his game from a first-person narrative, and stopping after his character dies.

Has anyone seen Permanent Death? Someone is chronicling his game from a first-person narrative, and stopping after his character dies.
Noticed that the other day, but when I saw it was 400 pages, I didn't download it, heh. If he made it all the way through the game or close like that though, quite an accomplishment.

Noticed that the other day, but when I saw it was 400 pages, I didn't download it, heh. If he made it all the way through the game or close like that though, quite an accomplishment.

He did make almost to the end. I read a little of it, then skipped to the end. It's not that well written.

Did you ever come back to a checkpoint and find it still empty? Because that just didn't happen in my version.

Yep, definitely. I remember checking that few times during my first playthrough on PC.

Huh.

In my current game, Josip is standing near a crashed plane in the north, ignoring me if I walk up to him. I hit him with a knife, then gave him morphine and my history with him was increased.

He did say that it's full of screenshots so maybe it's not that long of a read, but if it's not a good read I'll just stick to the blog posts.