Jake

Far Cry 2

I played this for half an hour today and forgot to save, then got killed stupidly and rage quit.

It looks like no one has posted about this game for awhile but I just wanted to blather about it for a bit.

I think this game and Mirror's Edge both show that the player character can feel more like a real person interacting with objects rather than a simple floating camera. I really appreciate that someone took the time to animate actions like your character's hands grabbing the roll bar of a buggy as you climb in. I can't think of another first-person game that featured such convincing contact between the character and the game world.

I also recommend trying the hardest difficulty setting to get the most enjoyment out of the planning and improvisation process. You stop thinking of guard posts as a chore, and instead you start trying to find routes around them or asking yourself if it's worth risking a gun fight in order to acquire a few precious syringes or ammunition. You also might end up in situations where you have to decide whether it's better to take a chance with a fully loaded but rusty and unreliable shotgun or stick with your favorite upgraded sniper rifle that's almost out of ammo.

Simply traveling from one location to the next was also an interesting challenge for me. Do I hide when a jeep approaches and wait for it to pass? Or do I gamble on taking out the gunner and driver so I can get my hands on their vehicle? Or maybe I just panic and blow the jeep up with a grenade and end up right back where I started.

Anyways, I hope to see more games in the 'catch malaria, dig a bullet out of your leg, and have your weapon jam at the worst possible time' genre.

I think this game and Mirror's Edge both show that the player character can feel more like a real person interacting with objects rather than a simple floating camera. I really appreciate that someone took the time to animate actions like your character's hands grabbing the roll bar of a buggy as you climb in. I can't think of another first-person game that featured such convincing contact between the character and the game world.

I would say the game does a good job of letting me interact with the game world, not the character. When I was in a period where all I could do at night was play Far Cry 2, my real life hands became Far Cry 2 hands for a little while.

I haven't played this game in a while, and didn't get very far. But I like the ability to run up on an enemy encampment and stab people in the heart. Alot. I also like starting fires.

Maybe my opinion is less valid because I am practically addicted to open-world shooters, but I really loved Far Cry 2. It seems like a lot of the downsides were highlighted, so I'll just skip over those and get to the parts that I really loved.

I loved the guns, because they all seemed to feel different. This is a somewhat strange way to talk about the guns, because they're obviously just elements in a video game. But the firing rates of the guns, the range, the recoil, and the look of each of the guns is tangible. Not only that, but some of the minor crossover between the three major weapons classes makes for some great custom classes. I used the sniper rifles for a long while because I could take out multiple enemies at once before they get to me, then I could use a good pistol to quickly dispatch anyone that comes close to me. But once I discovered the greatness of the dart rifle (which doesn't awaken all enemies to your presence), I used a lot of the assault rifles which were also extremely effective.

I've always been into collectible items in games, but Far Cry 2 uses collectibles really well. The briefcases around the map all hold diamonds in them, and it turns out that the only way you can fully upgrade every item is to collect every case. In this way, you're effectively collecting weapons which turns out to be a really ideal reward for collectibles, instead of a 10 point achievement or maybe a couple of extra attacks like some other games try to sell you.

I actually really enjoyed navigating the environment. The outposts mentioned earlier were indeed somewhat annoying, but I figured out that I could avoid 50% of them by just driving offroad. Also, in the second half of the game, you can get trucks with mounted grenade launchers which can make short work of the outposts. I would become pretty attached to those vehicles and blowing through tons of enemies at outposts actually became pretty fun.

So, I guess if you enjoy open-world shooters as much as I do, this is a pretty nice entry into the ranks. I'm actually playing through Red Faction: Guerilla right now and I can see the advancements, which include allowing you to fire a turret while driving and outrun enemy vehicles. Nonetheless, the world of Far Cry 2 is pretty immersive, the story isn't too bad, and the guns feel really great. I think it's worth checking out.

I just reached the second area/country, and I was like "WHAT!?"

How long is this game?

There's a second area? What the fuck?

:barf:

Maybe my opinion is less valid because I am practically addicted to open-world shooters, but I really loved Far Cry 2. It seems like a lot of the downsides were highlighted, so I'll just skip over those and get to the parts that I really loved.

Have you played either of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? Neither game is quite as open as FC2, but I liked both of the games quite a bit. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky)

Have you played either of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games? Neither game is quite as open as FC2, but I liked both of the games quite a bit. (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.:Shadow of Chernobyl and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky)

I dipped a little bit into the original Stalker because Shawn Elliott raved about it for so long, but the unintuitive interface sorta turned me off. I'll likely just pick it up some long weekend where I feel "in the mood" and hobo-marathon it.

I dipped a little bit into the original Stalker because Shawn Elliott raved about it for so long, but the unintuitive interface sorta turned me off. I'll likely just pick it up some long weekend where I feel "in the mood" and hobo-marathon it.

I had similar issues unfortunately, but I was coincidentally reading today about the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, which apparently makes the game far more playable and smooth. I'm going to give it another shot with that.

I had similar issues unfortunately, but I was coincidentally reading today about the Stalker Complete 2009 mod, which apparently makes the game far more playable and smooth. I'm going to give it another shot with that.

Sounds like a good enough reason to revisit for me, I'll get on that sometime soon I imagine.

I just ordered this game and I did it because of Idle thumbs. I've gone back and listened to old episodes and re-listened to some and I feel like I have to experience this game. My gut feeling says I won't like it but at least I can go into some crazy Far Cry 2 OOOOOOOOOOOH (ala idle thumbs 39) moments with my friends.

I just ordered this game and I did it because of Idle thumbs. I've gone back and listened to old episodes and re-listened to some and I feel like I have to experience this game. My gut feeling says I won't like it but at least I can go into some crazy Far Cry 2 OOOOOOOOOOOH (ala idle thumbs 39) moments with my friends.

http://www.idlethumbs.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6047&page=3

To clarify...

I have re-downloaded/re-installed Far Cry 2 yet again and will probably actually play it this time. I can see how the game would be annoying but I really want to get into the open world nature of it all. I really liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Fuck, just had one of my buddies (Andre) die on me, despite using 3 syringes on him to no avail. I love/hate Far Cry 2.

Fuck, just had one of my buddies (Andre) die on me, despite using 3 syringes on him to no avail. I love/hate Far Cry 2.

I'm giving the game some decent time finally, and I experienced the "death" system the other day... I didn't expect my buddy to actually hang around and fight with me. This struck me as supremely cool. However, I fulfilled my objective, jumped in a truck, and got the hell out of there. I have no idea if my buddy is even alive, or if she just magically disappeared into the ether of video games, and will be waiting for me when I go back to when I first met her.

Oh shit, I didn't think of that. I was saved by (black lady I can't remember the name of), but got sick of shooting at people I couldn't see so I got in my truck and drove off. Hope she's alive and all.

I once lost a buddy like that. I was in a place where patrols were coming and going all the time. My buddy rescued me, but was subsequently wounded. But I had no supplies left, so I thought I'd go and get some. When I returned, I heard some fighting from afar and when I got there, he was gone and I had to fight off another two patrols. At least that's how I remember it happening.

And started!

I should have gotten to this sooner, but all the negativity surrounding it on other boards always gave me the impression it would feel very "gamey"...? Like that it wanted to create an organic world but included elements at odds with that goal like item collection (diamonds) and respawning enemies. I couldn't have had a more incorrect impression to be honest, who would want to have to drive across the map and not have a few white knuckled encounters? And seeing that flashing green indicator always happily sidetracks me long enough to find something new. Good stuff. Hell, I must have played almost 20 hours over the weekend and haven't even touched a main mission yet.

Oh I forgot to mention that the best (most enjoyable to use) weapons in the game include the Flamethrower, explosive crossbow, IEDs, Dart Rifle and sniper rifles.

Some awesome thing to do, on the really high up bridge, jump to the river below while escaping enemy fire, set fire to the giant wooden platform do a mission without killing a single person.

Edited by Patters

Ahh IEDs. They make the unlock guns convoy attack mission really enjoyable. That is up until the point where you let a soft chuckle slip out at the carnage you have created forcing your friend to look over your shoulder at what your playing and you and him both realize at that very moment you are role playing a terrorist. Awwwwwkward

Ahh IEDs. They make the unlock guns convoy attack mission really enjoyable. That is up until the point where you let a soft chuckle slip out at the carnage you have created forcing your friend to look over your shoulder at what your playing and you and him both realize at that very moment you are role playing a terrorist. Awwwwwkward

It's even better when you place it under your car on the road they are travelling on.