Salka

The Games Industry

I'm fucking done. It's over. Fuck this shit. :tdown::tdown::tdown:

Until the next thing that I get excited and hopeful about comes along, I fucking give up. I'm really sad right now.

petersad.jpg

Hi, my name is Marek, and I got fucked by the game industry.

(Everyone say, "Hi Marek").

My feelings can be expressed entirely in smiley form:

:spiraldy: :spiraldy: :spiraldy: :spiraldy:

Recovery will take a little while. ;(

In a way, I think I was lucky, as I only had a brief foray with working in the games industry.

I came to much the same the conclusion, but in hindsight, I'd be much more amenable to the idea now after a couple of years working outside games.

The problem is, lots of smart people come out of college with the idea that working on games is the nearest thing to using their computer skills in a way that most resembles being a rock star, and then get their spirit crushed in a software assembly line operation much like every other big software industry, only you get payed less because you're supposed to 'have a passion for games'...

Anyway, the idea of founding some sort of entertainment software company has taken on more of a sheen than it had for me, compared to being some sort of code monkey for some 'visionary designer'...

We really did have a visionary designer. Look, no quotation marks to indicate sarcasm or anything :'(

Booohoohooooo :'( :'(

To clarify, from my standpoint on the periphery, a bunch of the NCSoft refugees were trying to start up their own dev studio, with a game pitch that Yufster told me was "truly amazing in concept" - although she refused to elaborate on why it was amazing, presumably so I couldn't steal it.

Last week it looked like they had landed a deal with a major publisher, but now it has fallen through. Hence the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Be sure to look out for said amazing concept being produced by said publisher and one of their existing studios, now that they have had the pitch and can happily steal it for themselves without the hassle of taking on new talent.

I always wondered : can you register an IP like you'd do for a patent or something?

Well yes, that's what makes it "property". However ideas are nebulous things and just a few changes can make them safe from charges of theft, or at least more difficult to pin down.

Ack, that's a nasty circumstance (the potential idea theft). I truly hope they aren't ripping you guys off.

Were NDAs not waved under noses..?

By the by, here's a trick I learnt about years ago: mail yourselves signed copies of detailed design documents about your game idea, in sealed envelopes. When they arrive, DO NOT OPEN THEM - just keep them tucked away somewhere safe. Then you can sue their arses off in court, should they in fact be pulling a fast one.

Just to be clear I have no reason to think that the publisher will attempt to rip-off their crazy awesome idea. It's just the kind of thing you hear about - a good pitch is turned down, then a couple of years later something suspiciously familar arrives on the market...

while I don't know you or the games industry, I can sympathise, and hope you get your enthusiasm back soon. Companies have a special ability to break your spirit.

I always wondered : can you register an IP like you'd do for a patent or something?

You can't register it (you can only register trademarks and patents). You can however claim copyright. You get copyright by default once you make something but you have to be able to prove it, so that mailing yourself trick can come in handy there.

You can't really point at your bulletpoint features for a game and claim another game stole your copyright though. That's not how it works.

Our pitch was the best in the motherfucking world. We pitched one game that already had a working prototype and proven fun gameplay and proven business case and backed with a turnkey operation (computers, office, team, all ready to go) plus another concept which is the one Yufster told Dan about which was one of the best concepts I've heard in fucking ages. We got really close to getting a deal but it was a 'wrong place, wrong time' kinda thing. ARGHHHH.

Our pitch was the best in the motherfucking world. We pitched one game that already had a working prototype and proven fun gameplay and proven business case and backed with a turnkey operation (computers, office, team, all ready to go) plus another concept which is the one Yufster told Dan about which was one of the best concepts I've heard in fucking ages. We got really close to getting a deal but it was a 'wrong place, wrong time' kinda thing. ARGHHHH.

I'm gutted for you all, but surely you could take the pitch to other publishers? Was this the only possibility to make the game happen?

Sucks!

I would have loved to see a game from you guys (and Yufster).

Could you guys just keep pitching it under different names?

As crushing as it might be, it would be great (if possible) to keep banging on doors--I'm sure someone would find your ideas marketable.

Have you looked at an incubation grant, btw? There are several organisations that might be able to support your development efforts.

To clarify, from my standpoint on the periphery, a bunch of the NCSoft refugees were trying to start up their own dev studio, with a game pitch that Yufster told me was "truly amazing in concept" - although she refused to elaborate on why it was amazing, presumably so I couldn't steal it.

Some images of the concept they pitched have since leaked out onto the internet. I can't see why it wasn't taken seriously. Looks like a winner to me!

50cent1km4.th.pngthpix.gif

I'm gutted for you all, but surely you could take the pitch to other publishers? Was this the only possibility to make the game happen?

We pitched to everyone and their grandmothers. We were in talks with about a dozen parties. Out of this came three positive leads, all three of which fell through in the span of two weeks each for different reasons. It's been almost 1,5 month since we started this process and people are now starting to leave for other jobs. So this is pretty much it (for now).

There's a chance we'll keep trying with a few key people and get the game to still happen some time in some form, but it won't be with the excellent team we already had in place. ;(

Edited by Marek

Have you looked at an incubation grant, btw? There are several organisations that might be able to support your development efforts.

Yeah, they apparently require a lot of paperwork, and then you don't get the actual money until ages later. We needed money quickly.

Maybe there's a remote chance that the Dream Team Operation from Ubisoft Canada could help you ?

Plus, since he's back on earth, couldn't you guys ask money from albion-born multimillionaire* Richard Garriot?

* it's how he's referred to in the french daily news