brkl

DeathSpank

damnit ... savegame crashing
Oh dear. I've suddenly started having that too. I hope there's nothing wrong with the Steam Cloud servers.

no, just the known bug, see a previous post with a link
Whoops... totally missed that post. Thanks, you're a lifesaver.

I killed Madame Primp before I realised there was an acheivement for seeing all of her costumes. Does anyone know whether I need to play a new game fully until I reach Strumfuquel, or are there cheats that will help me skip forward?

Edited by thorn

Achievements, when done right, can make the game better or at least a bit more fun!

The only reason I found Condemned so tense and scary was because I refused to use fire arms... for an achievment! If that achievement hadn't existed I would have used firearms and ruined the game?

Besides the achievements in DeathSpank or at least ToV, point out funny things you miss out on unless you use a walkthrough!

Generally I try to get all achievements, but not going to replay things just to get that one achievement.

It looks like I also missed out on that 20 outfits achivement, I think I only saw 10 or so.

I actually found the madame primp thing rather tedious. If it hadn't been for the fact that I was well on my way to having every single other achievement in both games by that point, I wouldn't have bothered. Just had to get my fucking gold star. I kind of hate that I did that, honestly. The cheevos in DS are pretty easy, particularly if you're a completionist like me and never leave an RPG sidequest unfinished.

In case you missed it, the new Deathspank game has been announced and is titled 'The Baconing'.

Trailer was released today and appears to suggest that they're prioritising computers over consoles this time.

Also, there's a website.

Wow. I'd still like to know what happened between them and Ron Gilbert. His name isn't even mentioned in the Press Release! I still say falling out. If only there was a member of the gaming press here who could do some investigative probing.

I think I'm going to pass on this one. I don't know, I'm sure the gameplay is more fun, but I don't really like this dark direction and the graphics are kind of nasty now.

The one thing that bugs me is that in Deathspank the ending where

Deathspank sacrifices himself so that he wouldn't be overpowered by the thongs

seemed like the proper ending. The ending where

you kill Sandy and Deathspank gets more power hungry until the game ends

just really did not seem like anything more than a mean joke of an ending. I don't know why they'd continue from the latter but there's no other option I suppose.

I think this game will do well though, that's good for Hothead. I guess the Ron Gilbert factor is too important to me to keep playing a series he created yet is no longer involved in.

The one thing that bugs me is that in Deathspank the ending where

Deathspank sacrifices himself so that he wouldn't be overpowered by the thongs

seemed like the proper ending. The ending where

you kill Sandy and Deathspank gets more power hungry until the game ends

just really did not seem like anything more than a mean joke of an ending. I don't know why they'd continue from the latter but there's no other option I suppose.

I didn't really like either ending. The one where

Sandy wins and Deathspank dies

seemed to me to be the clear 'Bad Ending', which is why I played it first. I was expecting the

Deathspank Wins

one to relate how

he destroys the thongs, demonstrating that he truly is the only man capable of withstanding their power

, so the fact that he didn't was a real disappointment. Both endings just seemed like cop-outs. Of course, now I realise that it was just a setup for a sequel.

Well finally some proof. I asked the big man himself:

@grumpygamer So what happened with Hothead? I get the feeling all didn't end amicably? Am I reading too much into things?

@JohnnyWalker2K1 You are not.

Well crap and shit. I'm sure this story will not be told anytime soon though.

Wonder if that's why Ron Gilbert was given a "created by" credit for both Deathspank games instead of being listed as part of the team or something more prominent?

Almost definitely.

Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, this sort of gossip enthralls me.

(I am such a woman.)

What are you talking about? He's smack bang in the middle of the 'Hothead Games' group.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/deathspank/credits

Oops, I guess I had only noticed it on Thongs of Virtue. That was also released months after he left, but it was still half of the game he had in his head.

I don't know, legal or bad blood...

Anyway, I sure do hate companies that just list their credits in a big fat list like that! Why do people not find it appropriate to credit those for their job titles?

Edit:

Only for the first one.

Oops, this is why I should not respond to messages before reading the whole thread, even a message apart. Sorry, 'bout that.

Almost definitely.

Unfortunately, and embarrassingly, this sort of gossip enthralls me.

(I am such a woman.)

Liking this sort of thing means you're such a woman...? ;(

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

I had all the time feeling after the first game came out that there was something weird happening at Hothead. The second game especially coming out the way it did felt to me that ok Ron is not there doing that project anymore.

So the original vision propably changed quite a lot from what it was supposed to be.

Also I will not be buying the Baconing whatever thing even when it comes to sale. Just don't care when the brains behind the project is not there anymore.

But I am still happy that they did release especially the first one on PC. Even though that seemed to be quite a hellish task also to get it out for PC.

that's sexist... go to the feminist thread right now to become re-educated

I started playing it last night and I'm liking it so far. That review is correct in the way that he describes the randomness being dialed up compared to the previous games, but I like that sort of thing so it's all good.

When did they release the last DeathSpank game? I could swear we already had one this year? :erm:

The game is giving me a very episodic vibe lately since now it's noticeable they keep recycling game assets, most of the characters I've met so far are from the other two games.

I haven't finished the game yet, so I don't know if it will sequel-bait, but the last DeathSpank acted like it was supposed to be the last one, so I wouldn't be surprised that we'd get a new DeathSpank no matter what.

EDIT: I finally beat the game and boy, does the ending ever promise a sequel, I can't say more, but it's almost frustrating how the game ends.

Then again, the last game seemed to wrap things up and had a sequel, so maybe they'll do the opposite?

Edited by Tanukitsune