vimes

So, Fable 2

Err, what's the best way to buy a US game to ship to Europe (I've got a US 360 and I fear it's not going to be compatible) ?

There's a really great list that shows each 360 game's compatibility in each territory... if only I could remember where I saw it :tdown: *sob*

As for Fable... when is Peter Molyneux going to start doing what I tell him?!?

I'm playing it right now and, hurray, the french version runs perfectly on my US Xbox. I'll tell you what I think later on, but the most striking and surprising thing for me right now are the urban environments : they. are. just. perfect. No kidding.

There's a really great list that shows each 360 game's compatibility in each territory... if only I could remember where I saw it :tdown: *sob*

Here?

WHIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Holy shit does the DVD drive go fucking nuts when I load up this game. I think I'll have to wait for the ability to rip it to the hard drive before I can get started on this... I keep moving my attention between the TV and the Xbox, looking for smoke or sparks or pieces of Fable 2 shooting out of there.

Well, I've installed this on the HD and played it for a while, and it seems like a fun little game. I'm currently doing the blacksmith job, having just been promoted to level four... it's awesome that they've kept this so snappy I don't mind spending all that time on timed button presses.

Also, the property meta game (or whatever you want to call it) seems potentially addictive. I'm currently renting out my wagon back in the gypsy camp, and I passing the drinks stall, I bought it on a whim after seeing I could just afford it. The little income notice every five minutes, although currently on 19 coins each time, gives me the tingles!

Oh, am I correct in assuming that the gambling part is actually adjusted realistically with regards to odds, so that actually playing it would be stupid? Keystone seemed really fun, but I quit rather quickly, afraid to lose my hard-earned (well...) coins.

Aaaand, since the discussion earlier on sound physics and stuff like that (I think it was regarding the birthday party scene in FO3), I'm noticing that the voices sound really weird in this game, voices coming from nowhere, and so on.

It's weird because the sound engine in Fable was utterly terrible. The sound bounced around from speaker to speaker every time the camera moved (at least it did for me).

Is Fable 2 much better than 1? I started replaying 1 recently and I it found to be pretty shallow (much more than I remembered). Is 2 more of the same?

I started playing it and it feels like Fable so far. I thought Peter Molyneux said all these things about how my life would change after I played it... but instead I got the same game I had 3 years ago!

I haven't gotten too far anyway, but it's hard to play some more when it feels exactly like the original Fable, especially the same with old quirky problems the first one had.

Wow, Fable 2 almost seems like an adventure/RPG game wrapped around some sort of simulator. The story and quests totally clash with the rubbish "social" system of love/hate, marriage and stuff like that. It's like they started off with two factions of the team going in completely different directions, careful to not conflict with each other, merging their work into the game as the went.

I started playing it and it feels like Fable so far. I thought Peter Molyneux said all these things about how my life would change after I played it... but instead I got the same game I had 3 years ago!

I haven't gotten too far anyway, but it's hard to play some more when it feels exactly like the original Fable, especially the same with old quirky problems the first one had.

it is exactly the same all the way through, even the plot is basically the same, and the same things happen to you. The only thing thats different is that they botched up the way magic works, and fighting just involves hammering A a lot.

I know, it just hit me. Fable 2 feels exactly like a MMORPG. The way everything feels sort of disconnected, and how there's no real interaction between anyone, and quests are irrelevant and often concern numbers... it's like a shit WoW. I'm sort of relieved to realise this, that I actually don't like this game. Actually, I like it enough to finish it, probably, but I've never actually enjoyed it, and I probably won't go achievement hunting like I imagined I would. There are just too many other game lining up behind Fable 2 for me to spend so much time on it.

One question, though: I'm just back from my 10-year you-know-what working for you-know-who. How far am I?

God damn it. I've finished the game, and have one gargoyle head remaining -- the one inside Castle Fairfax, the entry to which is gonna cost me...

ONE MILLION DOLLARS

So, I'm at about 250k and earning about 10k per five minutes, which means I'll have to leave the Xbox running for about, let's see... six and a half hours.

edit...

Or I can start on the silver keys... Jesus.

Also, funny story: While getting all three ending achievements in one go, I RRODed. I chose the first card, got the achievement and turned off immediately. Then, when I turned it on, I got the RROD. It is the one with 3/4 red segments, right? After turning it back off and letting it rest for ten seconds, it was back to normal.

Edited by toblix

buy all the 5 star businesses and you'll have a million gold or whatever in no time, i was getting something stupid like like 20,000g every 5 minutes whilst i was doing the end part of the game.

oh inside the castle there is a weird bonus quest line also. :tmeh:

i need to remember to go trade fable in whilst it's still worth more than £3

Yeah, I just cheated and got a million, bought the castle, did the rest of the achievements. Basically, I was so disappointed with this game I feel it owes me as many achievements as possible. I began doing the bonus quest, but got to the place where you have to be really quick with a target spell and shooting to open a gate, and then I thought "what the fuck am I doing. I don't care about anything this game has to tell me. I'm not getting an achievement for this," so I went and got the treasure instead. Now I've gotten all possible achievements, and the ones remaining are The Completionist (My dog is dead, so I can't get all the expressions for it. Also, I read that you actually have to buy the pub games thing to get the final one, a fact that can suck my dick) and all the multiplayer ones.

Quote of the day: "Go chop your own fucking wood Molyneux!".

I've now bought enough businesses to no longer need to work, unless I'm 10K shy of something I want, in which case the lvl 5 beer pulling game is a fairly easy way of monging my way to success.

But Jesus Christ, I've not played anything like these minigames since owning an Amstrad CPC-464. I keep expecting a badly animated, pixelated Bully to pop up in the bottom right corner. What next? Feats of athleticism minigames where you have to alternately hammer two buttons on the controller? :fart:

Lionhead: Try redesigning all of Fable 2 so that, like your minigames, it never, ever requires (or allows) more than one button press every five seconds. See how much fucking fun it is.

They should have made them into little rhythm games. Doing percussion for a lute hero type game would have made blacksmithing into something brilliant rather than infuriatingly boring.

Okay, fuck building income to slowly acquire businesses. I saw a sale and a shortage of arms at the same time and made, 300K in about 20 minutes buying and selling master weapons, bought the rest of the shops in Bowerstone then the houses and Oakvale from the income. I'm just at the spire and getting nearly 10K a pop from them :tup:

700K in bank and no buildings left to buy, though I'm guessing the 5K I spent in Westcliff will also have an effect later on. I'm also now well armed enough that having a massive income is kind of meaningless :tmeh:

I'm liking F2 so far, even though it is indeed a remake of Fable. The dog works well; I feel empathy for it, whereas if it were a human character with the same AI I'd be screaming "Come on dumbass! Oh, now you need healing you stupid fuckwit." and generally raging at it.

Yeah, if there is a sale in one area and another area is paying extra for weapons, you can make a ton of money in a short amount of time.

Overall, I thought the game was fun, but I agree with some of the others that the social system is a bit awkward and starts to become more annoying than fun. Combat isn't too difficult, as it is mostly just hitting buttons over and over. With all that said though, I did enjoy the game and there are some interesting consequences if you play good vs. evil. They could have went a lot further with it, but it's still entertaining.

The entire timing mechanic of all those social/job mini games was just wank. It's like something cribbed from a casual games portal.

The first time I was posing for the sculptor it really annoyed me by implying I could let go when it turned green, then telling me by the universal language of punitive failure that even when its green, it's not okay to let go until a voice sample tells you to :fart:

Hey! Even though this game sounds justifiably crap and nothing more than a moderate expansion of an average, if reasonably polished, game. REMEMBER! It was voted GOTY by the Thumb staffers... :erm: