miffy495

Dead Space

I got halfway through the Wii one, then got back into Mass Effect. It's not a bad game at all, although the voice actors are very obviously EA's "B" team and I can't quite get the calibration to work properly on my TV. Low-to-midrange production values, but very solid gameplay and a nice filling in of the Dead Space story make it worth it. Also, some really tense and well done setpieces. I don't think it's all that fantastic, especially compared to how good House of the Dead was for rail shooting last year, but it's certainly worth playing and quite fun. Gets a tentative recommendation, perhaps becoming stronger if it has a great end when I go back to finish it. Definitely play it if you're a decent fan of the 360/PS3/PC game and have any love for rail shooters.

Definitely play it if you're a decent fan of the 360/PS3/PC game and have any love for rail shooters.

And with Sin & Punishment being a thing that exists, how could you not have some love for rail shooters. Also, play that game (it's on Virtual Console) if you haven't.

Has anybody played the game AND the demo? The demo has no difficulty levels and I keep getting swarmed.... I thought this was a survival horror game? :hmph:

Didn't play the demo.

I heard yesterday from Shack that DS2 isn't apparently coming to PC at all? Well looks like I'll never get to play it then, but it's not a big loss as so far what I've heard about the project has not made me much interested in it anyway.

How weird. Did Dead Space for the PC do that badly for them, then?

Edit: It seems like Jeff Green went out and said "Rumor fact check: There *will* be a PC version of Dead Space 2. Worry not!"

And a little while later "Fact checking my fact check: Dead Space 2 PC is just "Under Consideration." DOH I'm just an excitable PC dork. Should I start the petition?"

So tharrr you have it!

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

I think the main reason they are not really highly thinking of a PC version is the piracy case. Apparently sales of the PC version were not that great.

Oh and they are saying that Dead Space: Extraction will be ported to Xbox and Playstation for 15 $/£/€. I wonder how that will work with the normal gamepads?

That's just too bad. Loved the first but I care a bit less now since I read that they were making it more of an action-shooter and less of a survival horror.

Yes, the horror, more action news tidbit had big negative impact on me as well. If they lose the horror and make it action the game will be more like everything else and nothing special.

But of course not much is known of the project so we just have to wait and see.

I keep hearing that Dead Space 2 is great, but I haven't finished the first game and don't feel much desire to do so. Would it be silly to play the second without finishing the first? Additionally, is it really enough better than the first that I would give a crap? Recommendations appreciated.

I keep hearing that Dead Space 2 is great, but I haven't finished the first game and don't feel much desire to do so. Would it be silly to play the second without finishing the first? Additionally, is it really enough better than the first that I would give a crap? Recommendations appreciated.

Prevailing opinion seems to be that the sequel is a little bit better, but i personally like the first game a bit more.

The point is, there isn't any huge gulf in quality between the two, they're very similar games. The second game does a better job in keeping you seeing new and visually interesting locations, but it's a little more linear and a little less dynamic.

Again, the differences are really small. I don't know if you'd like Dead Space 2 if you didn't like the first game, but you might if your issue was seeing the same wall textures over and over.

As for finishing the first game to play the second, i don't know. They're very story-driven games, but there's a couple messy retcons between the first and second game. There's a lot of small details about the end of the first game that don't match up with how those things are portrayed in the second game. I don't know if that's enough of an excuse to not see the end of that first game though, and i personally do think it's still the better game between the two.