Sign in to follow this  
Roderick

Achievements in World of Warcraft

They are fucking win! :tup: Because suddenly, all the stuff I was already doing -useless stuff like doing low-level quests just to get a good reputation with all the factions (not even for the mounts you could unlock)- is being rewarded with achievements. Hooray! Now there are even MORE utterly pointless yet insanely addictive stats to level up! :gaming:

I love this game.

XBox Live. Steam. PS3 trophies. Flashbang's games. World of Warcraft. Does every game need achievements now?

Not all of it, but a large portion of it apparently.

It's weird. I mean I'm really looking forward to logging in again and seeing what achievements I have... but in another way aren't achivements what RPG's about anyway? Aren't character levels and experience points and loot all types of achievemtn anyway? This addition seem to be some kind of... meta achievemnts. What next? Achievements for collecting all the achievement-collection achievements? Or maybe just bonus gold and XP.

you can also spend the achievements on shit though, like gifting levels to people, or something, I dunno i havent been paying attention too much so it's al lthe mroe surprising come Lich King, should I dare to log in then :)

To be fair, I only got enthusiastic about it once I saw the (admittedly somewhat clunky) interface and looked at all the crazy shit that you had to do. The achievements work to make you do things you wouldn't have normally done, next to more classic astounding feats that you pull. For instance, there's an achievement for /love-ing various critters around the world. It enriches the World of Warcraft gameplay because now you're encouraged to do a lot more diverse things next to killing monsters and levelling up. For a fringe gameplay-searcher like me, it's really cool to see those sort of things rewarded.

Zaarin; as for the game tallying all the things you've done before, that's a bit of an unpredictable thing. Some achievements do dig deep in the past, like everything to do with quests, how much you've explored, etc. When I loaded up the patch I had 39 achievements already (out of 750 possible ones; some of which will be virtually or practically impossible because they're server-unique for one person, for instance the first person to hit level 80). Other achievements or statistics are lost, like the most gold you've had, which the game doesn't remember. So whereas I once owned 600 gold (I'm very casual), it only states my current highest; in the 50s.

Oh, and achievements do sometimes have effects on the game. Some of them bestow you with titles. Becoming Exalted with all your side's factions gives you the truly awesome title of Ambassador. Don't know if that was already the case, but I'm soiling myself with delight here.

(Though I'd prefer the title Diplomat, which you get when you reach Exalted level reputation with some very difficult to please external factions like the Timbermaw Furbolgs.)