Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Idle Thumbs 2: The Fanboy's Lament

Tokyo Game Show and BlizzCon may be over, but they live on in our hearts, and our podcast. Stay awhile and listen for hands-on reports, commentary, and the heart-rending ballad of a once-proud console warrior. This episode probably not sponsored by Gamer Grub.

Games discussed: Diablo III, Starcraft II, LittleBigPlanet, Fable II, World of Goo, Hinterlands, Scene It? Box Office Smash, Gears of War 2

http://idlethumbs.net/

(You have no idea the trials and tribulations involved in putting this episode live. Please enjoy it.)

Edited by Chris

Awesome (and timely!), but... toe-blix? What the fuck, men?

Also, more Peter Molyneux impressions. I don't even know how he really talks, but that was hilarious. Are you figuring things out with regards to how often you'll release a new episode, or is there going to be one every week?

Maybe next week you can talk a bit about how GTA IV can suck my ass, and how video games are much easier these days -- but only until right before the end!

:tup:

Although I was expecting the Tekken fanboy song to be more of a direct dramatic reading, like this, of the comments rather than a homage to them. Not that I'm complaining because it was good, but that's the problem... unlike the comments, it made sense.

And no mention of "Again" at TGS? I thought you guys had a bit of an adventure game heritage :hmph:

N'yah! That would be why the site dropped to it's knees for few minutes earlier this evening. I was hoping this would be the reason!

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Tell your friends! We are struggling to publicize this thing because we have no idea how. :violin:

Promise cake for people who promote. I see Allard already got his slice.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Tell your friends! We are struggling to publicize this thing because we have no idea how. :violin:

Can't you get Simon over at GameSetWatch to include a link in his semi-daily "GameSetLinks" roundups?

Actually, I wasn't aware of some of StarCraft II's singleplayer elements like dialogue choices now you mention it. They should definitely push that, as I imagine it would make the whole 'monetizing' thing a lot easier to swallow.

I Liked the section on LittleBigPlanet, thought you missed a trick on the World of Goo hype train (one sentence?), and maybe, just maybe, the Tekken song was a little long. I felt - and this is constructive criticism, not berating - that it took you out of the podcast due to its length - but other than that, well done - I enjoyed it :tup:

I've just quickly knocked together a fake Twitter account for Idle Thumbs. So whenever a new podcast gets added to the RSS feed, it'll appear there shortly after automagically for the world to see.

I'm also thinking of building a "Thumbroll" of all Thumbs-related blog feeds, which I might also feed into the same Twitter account. Let me know what you think.

Could I also add that I'm probably the first person (stupid enough) to listen to the podcast over Bluetooth. Hurrah for (slow-ass) wireless technology! :clap:

Tell your friends! We are struggling to publicize this thing because we have no idea how.
Mojo's three visitors have been informed. It's a slow news week.

I'm also thinking of building a "Thumbroll" of all Thumbs-related blog feeds, which I might also feed into the same Twitter account. Let me know what you think.

Twitter feeds = win.

Thumbroll on future Thumb main page would also rule. Maybe we should talk about that.

I've just quickly knocked together a fake Twitter account for Idle Thumbs. So whenever a new podcast gets added to the RSS feed, it'll appear there shortly after automagically for the world to see.

Could I also add that I'm probably the first person (stupid enough) to listen to the podcast over Bluetooth. Hurrah for (slow-ass) wireless technology! :clap:

Hmm, Twitter. Perhaps I can take that over and do dumb shit like sporadic live posts from press events?

Operation "Get it on GameSetWatch" is a success! Give it a day or two though. :buyme:

Twitter feeds = win.

Thumbroll on future Thumb main page would also rule. Maybe we should talk about that.

I had an RSS aggregater written a while ago (it's still partly functional) for my site. If you guys need any codery help with that I can provide it. I'm not doing anything else with me time.

Thumbroll: I was going to be no more clever than compiling this as a lable in Google Reader and then making that label public. Works quite nicely--I'll do that now and post the URL here.

Edit: OK, here's the Thumbroll according to the staff list on the front page (minus Nick / ShackNews RSS feed).

Edited by Wrestlevania

Thanks for another excellent thumbcast! It's a pleasure to listen to while playing Warcraft. I never grow tired of hearing you getting all enthused and worked up over games and the industry. And the musical segment was unexpected and hilarious =D It sounded like a 60s protest song, haha, straight from the Beatles.

Am I the only one who can't listen to a podcast while anything? I just lie down in my bed and stare up.

I usually check my email and some forums while listening

most of that stuff doesn't need much attention

I can do something else as long as it doesn't involve words. If I try to read for instance then I will suddenly realise that I missed the last couple of spoken sentences and have to skip back.

Am I the only one who can't listen to a podcast while anything? I just lie down in my bed and stare up.

Podcasts are my radio. (I despise terrestrial radio in the UK, it's uniformally shit.) I drive about 2.5hrs a day, commuting, so stocking up on a few talky podcasts really helps make it much better.

I've several non-talky music podcast subscriptions though, which I listen to whilst actually working.

Thankyou for another lively and excellent talky hour. Please keep doing the musical interludes. I loved how the fanboy character just paraphrased his sadness and outrage so excessively. I also enjoyed the silly Peter Molyneux impression.

Mmm, good point: superb installment, gents. I was LOL-ing loudly in the car this morning - "strategy chocolate" indeed. :tup:

Could we have your thoughts on indie gaming in an upcoming episode, please? It's a very healthy niche at the moment--so much so that I feel like I'm starting to loose the wood amongst the trees. ;(

This is actually the first podcast I have ever listened to.

(Probably because the idea of me sitting alone somewhere, listening to someone else sitting alone elsewhere talking to himself felt pretty sad and bizarre at the same time.)

Anyway, I liked this a lot! You have managed to keep it fun yet informative at the same time.

I especially liked the tree-planting reference in Fable discussion. That was the first thing I read about the game and I've been twisting the example whenever someone mentions pretty much anything about Fable 2.

Subscribed.