Sign in to follow this  
Scrobbs

So I managed to get a key for the demo of Endwar...

...and to be fair to them, they've really nailed the voice control. It is perfect.

The game is designed rather like World in Conflict, in that you start with a finite set of forces and can call in others over time. Each call-in costs 4 'Command Points' given to you in a bar which builds up over time and also I presume for successful interdiction of the enemy.

It is a welcome mechanic in that one is no longer required to build bases, so there is no 'wave attack' like in...well most RTS games...but it suffers from the same problem that WiC did - lack of depth. Although there has been thought put into making this unit good for killing that one, but bad against another, it is pretty much a paper-scissors-stone game at heart, and a fairly simplistic one at that. It is nowhere near as much fun or deep as Company of Heroes, (apologies for banging on about this game all the time, but it really is one of my favourite games, RTS or no, ever) and as an RTS game every new game like that has to be compared to it.

The key part of EndWar that I find really appealing is the multiplayer co-op play. One of you takes airforce, another heavy armour (tanks), a third could take infantry, etc. You then work together, as a force, to win a battle.

In principle, this sounds brilliant. Imagine getting bogged down in a land war, crippled and running out of units, only for your friend's helicopter group to sweep through the are at the last minute and wipe out the enemy.

It seems like EndWar has great potential to really grasp the eb and flow of battle.

WiC did that, and it was good for a while, but got tiresome after a weekend. It was good fun while it lasted though, don't get me wrong!

I did have high hopes for endwar, but I don't think I'll be buying the full game.

Speech recognition, in games, who'd of thunk it! I actually like to don my cap and do a bit of that in the excellent Silent Hunter games and Bridge Commander, ("DIVE, DIVE, DIVE", "MAKE IT SO!"), but I've never, ever, felt the need to dictate to my units in an RTS game so you'll forgive me if I think this whole thing sounds a bit gimmicky (?) and, in light of their PC piracy complaints and the staggered release; a bit, console'y.

Well, it works. No surprises there as voice recognition is hardly new - but they have implemented it directly into the game so you can do some nifty stuff. It's a fun way of playing (again; see Silent Hunter :getmecoat), but the game itself wasn't very inspiring. I didn't like the viewpoint or the presentation - it was just too dull and cluttered at a glance. I would have thought they'd make it completely painless so you just start it up and BAM you're in the game playing rock/paper/scissors style combat (which online, as Wrestle said, is potentially very cool).

I only gave it ten or fifteen minutes in skirmish mode, if the singleplayer is the same as that I can't see me enjoying it - but online might be a laugh.