Sign in to follow this  
Marek

New Half-Life 2 screenshots

Guest James

Half-Life still has more of a premise, ala a badly written action movie - this is the scenario, now let's see it play itself out. there are a few twists and turns (the scripted sequences); it's an important step in the right direction for the FPS and is rightly hailed as a classic, but will look childish in terms of narrative in a few years.

If carnage means "kill up to two monsters in one area" and "compete with more than two (three) other players in multiplayer deathmatch", then yes. ;)

That's why I think the story will be extremely important. The game needs some good pre-scripted scares and a strong suspenseful atmosphere, or else gamers will buy other games with more interesting gameplay.

Unless they're all a bunch of undiscerning fanboys, of course. :hmph:

Carnage meaning lots of blood and gore I guess :P

I agree about the story and atmosphere, im wondering if ID will pull it off this time.

Guest James

iD do a great engine, but a lousy game.

I appreciate that it was probably a major leap forward in narrative storytelling in a FPS, but i was still horribly disapointed. I remember all the magazines claiming how it had "incredible" interactivity, "you can interact with just about every object in the game!" claimed PC Format (possibly). I found that hardly to be the case: But! The way the game was hyped up I was expecting an adventure/action game. Really it's a very well done FPS.

OT: Black Mesa -- The most sexist company in existence?! Not ONE female employee ANYWHERE!?! Very weird they overlooked that, I thought. Even in the "revamp".

OT: Black Mesa -- The most sexist company in existence?! Not ONE female employee ANYWHERE!?! Very weird they overlooked that, I thought. Even in the "revamp".

But that's not really surprising, considering that statistically there doesn't seem to be a considerable number of women in the science and research fields, or even in the armed forces. That combined with the game industy's misogynistic and infantile view of women.

But look closely, it's not all men. The holographic instructor in Half-Life's training session is a woman, the black ops level seems specifically designed exclusively with female ninjas in mind, and there is actually a video surveillance shot of a woman pushing a cart of anomalous materials in Blue Shift. That said, don't forget Alex, a prominent female lead in Half-Life 2!

What are you guys on...

Black Mesa did have Female workers, there is one in Blue Shift, a woman is the one who brought the sample to the elevator under the test chamber where the cascade happened.

Where did you get that statistic about women scientists, Trep? I don't think it is in the least correct.

However, yeah, utter lack of women was kinda freaky to me too... but if there were women scientists, I bet some of the crab-infested zombie women would be walking around and you would have to shoot them and Joe Lieberman would call that "graphic depiction of violence against women..."

On a vaguely unrelated note: Was I the only testosterone-to-the-brim teenager out there who repeatedly slammed Lara Croft against the walls just to hear her sigh?

On a vaguely unrelated note: Was I the only testosterone-to-the-brim teenager out there who repeatedly slammed Lara Croft against the walls just to hear her sigh?

I enjoyed forcing her to nose dive off cliffs. ahhh, i can her the sound of her neck snapping like a carrot to this day.

That it has. :)

For sure but carnage isnt all I want, I want gameplay and adventure. I doubt I will be getting that with doom3. :rolleyes:

For sure but carnage isnt all I want, I want gameplay and adventure. I doubt I will be getting that with doom3. :rolleyes:

From all early indications, D3 will be very very nice looking with garbage for gameplay...in every trailer, all you see is the main character running down narrow corridors shooting stuff that pops out from the walls, floors, etc.

Was I the only testosterone-to-the-brim teenager out there who repeatedly slammed Lara Croft against the walls just to hear her sigh?

Couldn't have been worse than those "nude" patches... (of course the fact that she didn't really look nude was the main problem *cough* - damn you, Core!!)

But that's not really surprising, considering that statistically there doesn't seem to be a considerable number of women in the science and research fields

???

Lol!

"83.5% of all facts are made up on the spot" - Vic Reeves

I think that sums that up! :)

From all early indications, D3 will be very very nice looking with garbage for gameplay...in every trailer, all you see is the main character running down narrow corridors shooting stuff that pops out from the walls, floors, etc.

Yea just gonna have to wait for HL2 for the gameplay.

It looks like Eurogamer might have scanned some of these in from magazines...? Tacky move if so!