Sign in to follow this  
Marek

New Half-Life 2 screenshots

Hell yeah doom 3 will be average.

And has anyone watched the Gamespy 700 meg, HL2 E3 video, i have it and its amazing.

Go D/L it if you haven't seen it

Marek/Spaff/Jake/Tabacco: get a rolls-eyes smiley :D
There, uh, there is a rolleyes smiley. :rolleyes:

There are two things that don't get me comfortable with HL² :

- the action seems so unnatural and overscripted ... I mean, every demo seems to follow a straight path

- erm, the plot has to be very strong.

I can't imagine how they could make me wrong on both of these points

If they managed to they are pure geniuses.

When you think about it, they've been making the game for 5 years. And John Romero isn't on their team. Those two facts lead to the conclusion that the game will be pretty damn good, so don't worry about it and wait until its release.

There are two things that don't get me comfortable with HL² :

- the action seems so unnatural and overscripted ... I mean, every demo seems to follow a straight path

- erm, the plot has to be very strong.

I can't imagine how they could make me wrong on both of these points

If they managed to they are pure geniuses.

I read a hands-on preview in this month's PC Zone UK, and they claim to have played the same level through several times with completely different outcomes. Seems the AI is just that good that it seems pre-scripted...

If you want, you can view the big E3 movie here (streaming or downloaded). Just watched the sequence of walking through City 17 for the first time. I gotta hand it to Valve, they are the masters of the scripted yet interactive in-game experience. Again, as in that famous tram ride that elegantly introduces you to the original Half-Life, this scene of walking into City 17 is positively peerless.

If you want, you can view the big E3 movie here (streaming or downloaded). Just watched the sequence of walking through City 17 for the first time. I gotta hand it to Valve, they are the masters of the scripted yet interactive in-game experience. Again, as in that famous tram ride that elegantly introduces you to the original Half-Life, this scene of walking into City 17 is positively peerless.

Yeah, one of the coolest things in Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift was the introduction parts. I also loved how the plots of both the intro parts and the rest of the games were intertwined, so that you revisited places and saw things from different angles and so on (for example, you can see the guy you play in Blue Shift in the Half-Life intro, and vice versa). I hope they continue that sort of things in the HL2 expansion packs.

Yeah, one of the coolest things in Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue Shift was the introduction parts. I also loved how the plots of both the intro parts and the rest of the games were intertwined, so that you revisited places and saw things from different angles and so on (for example, you can see the guy you play in Blue Shift in the Half-Life intro, and vice versa). I hope they continue that sort of things in the HL2 expansion packs.

Yeah valve has confirmed that they will be making Opposing Force 2 for Half-Life 2.

I have been reading on some other forums about the characters in HL2, as of right now, we know that everyone from the original returns EXCEPT Adrian Shepard, the marine you play as in Op4. But if you remember at the end of Op4 (SPOILER, SPOILER) the G-Man offers him a job just like Gordon, so how he will show up in HL2 is still a mystery. There is alot of speculation that the Combine troops that you fight in City 17 are somehow all clones of him, seeing as how he was the best marine form HL.

But we'll have to wait and see.

Graphics do not a good game make... Ok so the graphics may not be as amazing as they once were when we saw the first screens, but judging from the E3 trailers the gameplay and physics seem pretty stunning.. at the moment that is more important to me than the graphics.

I would love to see a Counter-Strike 2 made with this new engine! :9~

--Erwin

Watch the video, at the very end they show Counter Strike running on the source engine, that is what HL2 mulitplayer is going to be, CS and Day of Defeat on the source engine.

In addition in case no one knows...Valve has remade HL, Op4, BS, TFC, CS, DoD all on the source engine and will be released with HL2, it may be seperate and cost very little or ship with the game.

Its a shame theres no real CS2, new maps etc built by the same team as the original.... CS:CZ is supposed to be crap apparently.

In addition in case no one knows...Valve has remade HL, Op4, BS, TFC, CS, DoD all on the source engine and will be released with HL2, it may be seperate and cost very little or ship with the game.

I heard this rumor, but decided it was too good to be true. If it isn't, I'll probably end up digging myself an underground shelter where I can spend the rest of my days eating recycled feces and playing HL, Op4, BS, HL2, etc. That'd be sweet.

I heard this rumor, but decided it was too good to be true. If it isn't, I'll probably end up digging myself an underground shelter where I can spend the rest of my days eating recycled feces and playing HL, Op4, BS, HL2, etc. That'd be sweet.

It is NOT a rumor, it is very true, every original HL game has been remade on the source engine....FACT

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/515917p1.html

It is NOT a rumor, it is very true, every original HL game has been remade on the source engine....FACT

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/515917p1.html

But if I read that news bit correct, and all the things I've heard from different websites, the thing is so that only Half-Life and Counter Strike are remade to Source engine?

Not the add ons Opposing Forces&Blue Shift

Just signed up, first post, saw another HL2 rant heating up so thought I'd pop in and fry my eggs.

It'll be good, I mean it has to be right?

From what I've seen so far, it looks as though it'll be awesome, ok so it's had its problems, but name another AAA title that hasn't gone the arsehole route at some point in its dev.

Its not worth weighing it up against every other FPS in development because there isn't going to be just one FPS. IMO Doom3 And HL2 couldnt be further apart other than the fact they are both FPS and we don't really compare Dawn of the Dead and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs do we?

No not that version of Snow White.

I reckon Doom 3 is going to be all "look at how good the graphics are" with relatively little substance in the gameplay department.

Ok it may have some shocking things here and there but predominantly it will probably be the same formula as previous titles: shoot monster, find key, open door, fight boss, get to exit etc.

I doubt ID will pull out the same amazing gameplay that valve will with HL2.

I haven't heard anywhere that they are ONLY porting HL and CS, I've only heard they are porting it all, so....

neither doom3 nor hl2 will have strippers! when's DUKE NUKEM FOREVER COMING OUT DAMMIT

Duke Forever running on the unreal 1 engine lol that would be funny if it was released now, it would look so dated.

It will more than likely never come out, just like Prey never saw the light of day either.

I reckon Doom 3 is going to be all "look at how good the graphics are" with relatively little substance in the gameplay department.

Ok it may have some shocking things here and there but predominantly it will probably be the same formula as previous titles: shoot monster, find key, open door, fight boss, get to exit etc.

I doubt ID will pull out the same amazing gameplay that valve will with HL2.

Well, Doom 3's probably a bit ahead of HL 2's technology, but I never cared much for the dark level design and architecture of the Doom games. I find HL2's surroundings to be much more appealing.

--Erwin

Well, Doom 3's probably a bit ahead of HL 2's technology, but I never cared much for the dark level design and architecture of the Doom games. I find HL2's surroundings to be much more appealing.

--Erwin

It depends what your cup of tea is. HL2 is obviously based on a real location in Europe, so I guess people can relate to the surroundings alot easier.

I do like the look of Doom3.. which seems to be inspired by HR Giger art (Alien movies). I just don't think ID have any flare for writing a good story/gameplay. You only have to look at their previous titles to see that they obviously dont have it in this department.

I personally will play both regardless of better graphics or better gameplay... but HL2 will no doubt be alot more fun.